News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any of you guys have a line lock?

Started by Back N Black, November 29, 2010, 09:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

just looking for a few opinions, good , bad.

Ghoste

I have fun with it.  My opinion?  Good. :2thumbs:

doctor4766

I had a manual one before I rebuilt my Charger but I took it off as they're illegal here and I had to pass a pit inspection to get it licensed.
Might look into an electric one one day, but to be honest I'm not sure that I need one with the new engine.
Gotta love a '69

tan top

did have one before i done the resto !! i plumbed it to the rear brakes  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

FLG

Dont have one (YET!)

Id plumb it on rears, not fronts.

You hit the line lock before hitting the brakes (now your essentially blocking off the rear brakes) than hold down the brakes and the fluid is only going to the fronts, this allows you to move around if you wanted to instead of just sit in one spot.

:2thumbs:

six-tee-nine

The only reason why I should plumb it in the front lines, is when you have a standard transmission. Then you can step on the brakes, lock em up and release the brake pedal.....
Left foot on the clutch and right on the throttle.

Safety issue...: if you forget to turn it of you aint going anywhere...... If you disconnect the rear brakes by switch and you forget to shut off/open the valve (you know in all the exitement of scoring an new best ET) you just have brakes on the front axle wich could be scary at lets say 120 mph
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Beer

A line lock does not disconnect the rear brakes.  Its a solenoid that when active maintains pressure on the line you have the solenoid connected to.  The point of a line lock is apply the Brakes, hit the Lock (I use a rocker, some use a momentary switch), let off the brakes (the lock maintains pressure on the front brakes) and do your burnout; after the burn out you release the lock. You have full brake function after releasing the lock.

In my humble opinion, one would be asking for trouble putting the lock on the rear, and trying to spin the very locked tires they are trying to heat up... :slap:

The only reason to line lock the rear brakes is a front wheel drive.

I have one on my Automatic Vette, PIA to install but worth the time if your going to track the car. I will be putting one on the 73 Charger as well.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

FLG

Quote from: Beer on January 03, 2011, 10:56:42 AM
A line lock does not disconnect the rear brakes.  Its a solenoid that when active maintains pressure on the line you have the solenoid connected to.  The point of a line lock is apply the Brakes, hit the Lock (I use a rocker, some use a momentary switch), let off the brakes (the lock maintains pressure on the front brakes) and do your burnout; after the burn out you release the lock. You have full brake function after releasing the lock.

In my humble opinion, one would be asking for trouble putting the lock on the rear, and trying to spin the very locked tires they are trying to heat up... :slap:

The only reason to line lock the rear brakes is a front wheel drive.

I have one on my Automatic Vette, PIA to install but worth the time if your going to track the car. I will be putting one on the 73 Charger as well.

Your plumbing to the rear but your applying it BEFORE you hit the brakes, this will block all fluid going to the rear so when you push down the brake pedal you are forcing fluid only to the front part of the system.

Cooter

Personally, I never needed a line lock..Always had enough power to blow the tires away at will no need to hold the front brakes..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

FLG

Quote from: Cooter on January 03, 2011, 01:32:05 PM
Personally, I never needed a line lock..Always had enough power to blow the tires away at will no need to hold the front brakes..

Not a issue of power, more an issue with throwing a ton of heat on your rear pades or shoes and glazing tthem over.

NMike

i installed one on the rear. when i turned it on (no rear pressure, only front) it broke.

got another one. installed it on the front. pumped up the brakes, pressed the button. holds pressure on the front brakes, release the pedal.  better that way than on the rear.

Cooter

Quote from: FLG on January 03, 2011, 02:13:03 PM

Not a issue of power, more an issue with throwing a ton of heat on your rear pades or shoes and glazing tthem over.

This is why I usually keep the rear drum brakes adjusted a slight bit on the loose side....One pump doesn't hit the drums as hard as two to three...Manual brakes that is...Never been an issue with glazing brakes with MY car, but i could see where that could get someone else into trouble..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BBKNARF

:iagree:... If you want to have fun with it on the street, go for it.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

SFRT

I have a moroso unit. its awesome. great for burnouts, launches and holding on steep hills. I have a 4 speed car. it engages the fron brakes.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us