News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

leaking from top of master cylinder.....

Started by bajaherbie, December 18, 2011, 05:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajaherbie

our 73 charger has a slight leak which is kind of odd i think.... a bit of fluid is getting past the rubber seal that is between the cap and reservoir. should i replace the master cylinder or does anyone just sell the rubber gasket? Autozone lists a master cylinder but i am unsure of the quality of the part, hopefully it is not chinese.... thanks for the help, scott

RogerDodger

Advance has a master cylinder cap gasket $7.29.

ChgrSteve67

I had the same problem for years with my Charger.

After changing the cap and gasker several times it still leaked.
I even tried filing the top of the MC flat to see if that fixed it and it still leaked.
In the end I had to replace the MC.

I agree that you should start by replacing the gasket which is a lot cheeper than the MC.
Also try bending the spring a bit, that will tighten the cap a bit more.

Good Luck

bajaherbie

thanks, hope that fixes it!

the top of the m/c is pretty rough, thought about filing it but don't want to contaminate the fluid w/ metal filings. i'll try the gasket and if that doesn't work i'll swap the whole darn thing.

FLG

Had it happen quite a bit. Most cause is rust forming on the top ridge and it than not sealing propeerly. Sand it flat and clean it might do the trick. If the top is rusted itll never seal right rregardless of gasket. 

charger Downunder

Bend the metal spring in so it puts more pressure on the lid it fixed mine.
[/quote]

71charger

Auto zone sells a master cylinder new for like 25 bucks AMERICAN MADE. I have one on there 100% OEM
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.