News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

where does the Tach wire come through the firewall at

Started by troy.70R/T, May 31, 2010, 03:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I need a picture of a 70 B-body showing where the tach wire comes through the firewall at. I have asked this question before but think I got a picture of a 68. I can't understand why my 70 R/T that came with a Tic-Tock-Tach does not have a place where it goes through the firewall.  :shruggy: Maybe I have something hooked up wrong

oldschool

Quote from: troy.70R/T on May 31, 2010, 03:29:02 PM
I need a picture of a 70 B-body showing where the tach wire comes through the firewall at. I have asked this question before but think I got a picture of a 68. I can't understand why my 70 R/T that came with a Tic-Tock-Tach does not have a place where it goes through the firewall.  :shruggy: Maybe I have something hooked up wrong
troy, it goes thru the wiper motor plug.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

troy.70R/T

yes I do remember asking that question. However the one response was that there is a single wire coming out of the fire wall at that rubber plug type grommet. I have two wires coming out of mine and asked that but never got a response. I also do not know where those wires go to. As soon as those wires come out of the plug and under my dash they are wrapped in the harness and I can not find where they go to. I do have a couple wires that are not hooked up but they are not the same color as the ones coming out of the plug. So that is why I asked for another picture. :shruggy:

Just 6T9 CHGR

How about a picture of yours?   Should only be a single gray/black wire out....its possible your harness has been modified?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

troy.70R/T

Here is a picture of mine. The big plug has two wires coming out of it and those wires end up as a gray plastic two prong female connector. I do have that little rubber plug below it but that holds some insulation to the firewall.

troy.70R/T

Well scratch that about the gray female plastic plug I must have been looking at some other pic. Well anyway here is a pic. :shruggy:

Rolling_Thunder

that is for the headlight door motor...   

the dimple below that grommet is where the factory drilled for a tach wire to pass through 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

troy.70R/T

So why would mine not be drilled? I have owned the car since 1990 and have the fender tag and broadcast sheet that says it has the tic-toc-tach (rally gauges) the numbers on the motor, tran, radiator support and trunk lip all match. So what the @*!%?    Was a Tach standard on a R/T.   The gauge cluster does have a Tic-Toc-Tach in it. I can't guarantee that it is the original. So how big of a hole should I drill in that spot? can I buy the CORRECT grommet?

maxwellwedge

Is that fusible link screwed to the firewall? It kinda looks like it in the pic.

troy.70R/T

I don't think so I think It has blue tape on it like the other wire. I might be wrong but I dont know why I would have a fuseable link grounded to the firewall?

y3chargerrt

I think your fusible link is now a fusible ground! Time to move it to the starter relay where it belongs.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: y3chargerrt on June 03, 2010, 07:05:52 PM
I think your fusible link is now a fusible ground! Time to move it to the starter relay where it belongs.
:iagree:

Doesnt look like blue tape on it....thats the tab on the connector that says "fusible"
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

troy.70R/T

I will have to look and see. the pic is about two years old. Maybe I bolted to the fire wall to keep it out of the way ro maybe so I could get a pic of it to ask where it goes to. I will have to look tommorow. I think I remember asking a question one time and it went to my starter relay for the 4-speed neutral switch, but I didn't know which termanl to bolt it to.  :shruggy: I will check it out on Saturday.