News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blown Charger pros and cons?

Started by Axels73Charger, May 28, 2010, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axels73Charger

OK I had a talk with my friend one late night about cars. Well one thing that comes up most of the time in car talks is the (as my friend put it) "The nice black car from the fast and the furious" and what that thingy is. Of course I told him "Its a 1970 dodge charger R/T with a BLOWN Hemi" I think you guys are getting the point by now.

So he asked what a blower was. To this I didn't have a answer to... So I did some reading as (I guessed and told him this) It is involved with a supercharger. SO now we get to my questions.

1) Do blown engines get better gas mileage?
(I already know about the HP increase)
2)Is it a smart idea? For a daily driver?
3) Would it help make a SB (318 340 360 etc) perform better?

The gas and daily driver questions are what I really want to know because I think the blower looks cool. And I kinda like the look on a 73/74 :D
Done some growing up. Not going to do much on this account tho. Doesnt fit the more mature me.

69charger440

Like NIKE says: "Just do it".   That blown HEMI looks sick!!! Well fuel efficiency is out the window. That is the last thing your going to expect to get when your talking horsepower!!  Well it would make a SB perform better in Horsepower!! I have some friends that run the BLOWERS, they have told me it is the same for fuel economy!!! So that's a plus!!!! For a daily driver sure what is it going to hurt!!! Its just another part to deal with. just make sure your motor has the correct static compression. If your gong to run a lot of boost make sure your compression is below 8.0:1. You don't want a engine to detonate and melt the tops of your pistons. There is a lot to consider when building a blown motor, just make sure you look into them!! I might not be a wizard in Blower motors, but I can say there are some very smart individuals on this board that you can depend on!! That is what makes DC.com so great!!!! :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Wicked72

Any time you boost(forced induction) an engine you hurt the gas mileage. How ever superchargers are very reliable compared to turbos and very easy to work with. so for a daily if your not planning on putting a ton of boost on it then the mileage wont be killed to bad, but then theres the problem of not wanting to put your foot into it  :smilielol:.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Supercharged Riot

1) Nope.  more power = more fuel & more air
2) Good idea?  Sure it is..Daily driver. I mean. uhhhh. Nope.
3) Perform better! YES.

Cooter

Roots Style blowers...

Pro's= NOTHING beats the intimidation factor of a roots blower..

Cons= No way to effectively(Read: Easily) intercool a Roots blower..
Some states have reg's on Inspection laws reguarding Hood scoop hieght..
Noisey "Whine" ALL THE TIME...
Requires cutting of hood..

Centrifugal Blowers...
Pros= Underhood Install
Quiet operation
Intercooled fairly easily.
Only needs ONE carb (Blow through)
Much more boost- able..

Cons= Doesn't have the Appeal of the Roots sticking through hood..
Requires ALOT of room under hood for install
Relocating ALot of accessories

Roots/Centrifugal/ Turbo..

The Blowers cost around $6000.00 for a complete "kit" ready to run and will make around 10-12 PSI of Boost fairly safely....

Now i can get around a 90 MM Turbo that will make somewhere around 40 PSI of boost maxed out, (but unsafe), For around $1000.00-$1500.00.....
I'm thinking Turbo has it all over Blowers as far as prices are concerned, for the same level of power output.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"