News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How wealthy or how not-wealthy are you?

Started by RD, December 15, 2005, 02:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your Annual Salary

$100,000-LUDICROUSLY WEALTHY
$85,000-$100,000
$66,000-$85,000
$43,000-$65,000
$30,000-$42,000
$18,000-$29,000
0-$18,000
-$100,000-$0 (college students)

dkn1997

while 100,000 sounds great, you have to take it into context.  I realize that it's way more than single digit wages, but as previousely stated, Ny city metro area and california have a way of eating into that. 

my wife and I  live ok.  No vacations, but we are able to pay the mortgage, car payment, and  never carry any credit card debt.  We also are able to give the kids a good christmas.  But, it's not RICH.

Even though we are comfortable, it's not RICH AT ALL.  I would never presume to put a dollar amount on rich because it really depends on where you live.

I agree with the guy who said that if you are in this hobby with a car, you are doing ok. 
RECHRGED

Shakey

Quote from: triple_green on December 16, 2005, 09:36:59 AM

It just goes to show: "It's not how much you make it's how much you keep".

3X

Some of the best advice I have ever received was to put money away.  At 21 I started stashing $200.00 CDN a month in mutual funds.  It hurt at the time, but it sure is nice watching it grow.

charge69

I make well over 100K a year and my wife makes a nice income working , also. Hasn't been that way for very long and we struggled for many years. We were very happy before and still are , but I can tell you money does not buy happiness!! Many friends ( Where I work , everyone makes over 100K a year) who are miserable. If you are happy and make good money , it is usually not the money that keeps you happy! Does cut down on some of life's worries , though.

41husk

Quote from: Troy on December 15, 2005, 08:09:35 PM
I know that in some places (such as parts of California and New York) $400,000 will barely buy you a mobile home or possibly a 1 bedroom house on less then 1/4 acre. Where I live that same amount of money would get a 6,000 sq. ft. house with a barn/massive garage on 5-10 acres. I am positive there are even cheaper places to live than here so that really plays into the whole salary game. I could make a lot more if I moved but if my cost of living goes up a higher amount then it really isn't worth it. It's not how much you make - it's the size of your Charger fund that matters... :D

Troy

:iagree:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

NHCharger

Quote from: andy74 on December 16, 2005, 09:54:01 AM
when i was single,and had no kids,i lived in a apartment with 2 buddies,made about 18-20 grand,and had a blast!!!

That's where the phrase "when your single, your pockets jingle" came from. i was in the same boat back in the late 70's/early 80's. Single, sharing an apartment with a friend, no one to worry about but me. Was in a rock band, life was a constant party. Don't remember much of what happened from 18-23. Just know that I woke up one day, the haze had cleared and I was married. ::)

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

charger490

I was driving truck for 43 years making a good wage and ended up making 50000.a year when i finshed working. i took a lump sum payout and invested in the stock market 130000 invested in cisco sys.and that turned into about 7,000,000 million.

I live in a log cabin on three arecs witha 30 by 50 garage to store my cars in .i dont do vacations. i still work on a farm and part time as a cdl instructor.i dont give money to charites only to people i want to give it to so dont ask.i help my kids and grandkids if they need it and pay for collage for them .i guess i was luckey in the market charger490

Ponch ®

Quote from: tomonty on December 15, 2005, 07:33:43 PM
I am a broke as hell college student working part time. I don't save enough money, I go out more than I should, and I am in debt,  but I have the best friends anyone could ever want, 3 Chargers to tinker on and a great supporting family. As long as there is cold beer, good friends, and Mopars, I have everything in the world I could ever want.

That's my problem. I have about half of my monthly income left over after paying bills. Theoretically, I should be able to save some $, but I'm out every weekend, I buy shit I dont need, and go out to dinner more often than I should. In the end, I always end up struggling a few days before my next paycheck.

As the late, great George Best once said: "I spent most of my money on fast cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered". 
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

chrisII

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 15, 2005, 07:32:58 PM
Quote from: chrisII on December 15, 2005, 07:00:07 PM
.....and this isnt counting the couple hunderd a month i get paid to drink with my friends lol   :)
You get PAID to drink with your friends?? That's a job I definitely feel qualified to handle! :cheers:
I am "stage manager" for a local rock band that plays out 3-5 times a month feb - dec. i figure out things like power requirements,light set ups, program and run the light show, and do some sound mix adjustments. i currently get paid $50 a night + free beer, unless we have large shows where we use the big PA. I own 1/2 of the big system so i am paid for hauling it to the show, and "rent" + my normal pay wich is higher for higher than normal paying shows. of corse I ENJOY doing these things so basicly im being paid to hang out and drink with my friends. this weekend we have 2 shows in the same bar.so its still 1 setup 1 tear down, ill make $100. to me its a sweet gig!

PocketThunder

Quote from: NHCharger on December 16, 2005, 12:20:22 PM
Quote from: andy74 on December 16, 2005, 09:54:01 AM
when i was single,and had no kids,i lived in a apartment with 2 buddies,made about 18-20 grand,and had a blast!!!

That's where the phrase "when your single, your pockets jingle" came from. i was in the same boat back in the late 70's/early 80's. Single, sharing an apartment with a friend, no one to worry about but me. Was in a rock band, life was a constant party. Don't remember much of what happened from 18-23. Just know that I woke up one day, the haze had cleared and I was married. ::)

Amen brother!   :yesnod:    nothing kills a budget faster than being married with a mortgage and a hungry mouth to feed.   But, i'm having a blast with the family life now and its all worth it.   
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

RD

Quote from: charger490 on December 16, 2005, 01:22:30 PM
I was driving truck for 43 years making a good wage and ended up making 50000.a year when i finshed working. i took a lump sum payout and invested in the stock market 130000 invested in cisco sys.and that turned into about 7,000,000 million.

I live in a log cabin on three arecs witha 30 by 50 garage to store my cars in .i dont do vacations. i still work on a farm and part time as a cdl instructor.i dont give money to charites only to people i want to give it to so dont ask.i help my kids and grandkids if they need it and pay for collage for them .i guess i was luckey in the market charger490

congratulations on your financial investment.  I am happy that you take care of your family when you can, nothing is more important on this earth than your family.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Charger_Fan

Quote from: charger490 on December 16, 2005, 01:22:30 PM

That's a cool story! :thumbs: Lucky in the market...hmm...this may call for a new thread. ;D
I'm striving toward something like that. I'm not sure if it will actually happen, because I'll want to spend extra money restoring my Charger & other cars, but I'm still gonna try.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

89MOPAR

Also - something to be said about being a miser, hardly anyone has gotten rich by cutting pennies from expenses here and there and hiding them in the matress...
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

twilt

Quote from: 89MOPAR on December 16, 2005, 07:44:59 PM
Also - something to be said about being a miser, hardly anyone has gotten rich by cutting pennies from expenses here and there and hiding them in the matress...

thats because a woman would find and spend the pennies if they were hid there. ;D

Drop Top

God has seen me through thick and very thin. He has made sure I have had the money for the things that we needed. I raised 4 children. Most of whom are doing better that I am, money wise. I was born to a middle class farmers home that turned to be very well off. Then almost 16 years ago everthing turned upside down. My farther died and didn't have anything in order. Almost lost everthing dew to things beond my control. I evetually got in debt to the IRS for over 3 Million dollors. The good news was that I didn't owe anything else. But now I'm on my way to retireing and working just to keep healthy. But even when I didn't have a plug nickel. I had my family and I was always rich. I am now within 1 to 2 years of never having to worry about money. I have been on the top to the very bottom. Through hard work and help from the good Lord I am almost on the very top again. that. I can work on my cars for a change. I'll also be building an all new and up to date restoration shop with all the tools to make things easier.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Drop Top on December 18, 2005, 11:11:22 AM
God has seen me through thick and very thin. He has made sure I have had the money for the things that we needed. I raised 4 children. Most of whom are doing better that I am, money wise. I was born to a middle class farmers home that turned to be very well off. Then almost 16 years ago everthing turned upside down. My farther died and didn't have anything in order. Almost lost everthing dew to things beond my control. I evetually got in debt to the IRS for over 3 Million dollors. The good news was that I didn't owe anything else. But now I'm on my way to retireing and working just to keep healthy. But even when I didn't have a plug nickel. I had my family and I was always rich. I am now within 1 to 2 years of never having to worry about money. I have been on the top to the very bottom. Through hard work and help from the good Lord I am almost on the very top again. that. I can work on my cars for a change. I'll also be building an all new and up to date restoration shop with all the tools to make things easier.
That's so cool DropTop, I wish you the best! :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

andy74

ive seen 490s place,its a very nice spread!! im always glad to hear of people doing well,because when its not so good for me(or anyone)it gives you reason to look up,not down.every indication ive seen shows that my bizz will take a farther down turn before it goes up,which scares the hell out of me,but it cant go down forever right?

dodgecharger-fan

Well, I agree with the sentiment that the amount of money you make has nothing to do with wealth.

I voted, though.

kab69440

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

CB

I got a monthly salary, free gas, free car(not decided if the company buys a new one or I got the Merc) with free insurance and maintanance, free cell phone.

Currently paying off the 69 though.

It's gertting better then before,I am satisfied. :)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

doechsle

I'm getting poorer by the month, my pay is the same but the cost is living is increasing faster than I have ever seen it. What the hell is going on?

kab69440

At least your pay is still the same. Over a third of mine evaporated into thin air this year.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

andy74

Quote from: kab69440 on December 20, 2005, 01:29:57 PM
At least your pay is still the same. Over a third of mine evaporated into thin air this year.
join the club

last426

Remember guys, it does not take some genius or anyone special to make a bunch of money.  Everyone on this board can do it if you want.  Being a mechanic comes naturally to me so I did the easy thing, turned screws at manufacturing plants.  I woke up and was 35 and said, wow, am I going to do this forever?  Is my body up to it?  Is this the best use of my time?  The answer was to go back to school and get a new career.  Graduated in 1990 oweing 50,000.  Finally got it paid off in 1998 and then off to the races.  But it does come at a cost.  I hope that as I get older I don't regret having no kids.  But I have friends and a great girl friend, so all is well.  Life is full of choices, life is not full of time to make them all.  One last thing, all my lifetime friends shoke their heads when I went off to school.  What really was happening was they were too comfortable in their lifestyles and too afraid to take that first step.  Don't be afraid.  I knew I could always go back to mechanics if all else failed. You can always go back to what you were doing before the adventure.  You can't go back if you never went forth.  Kim

CB

well said Kim. I started evening class to become a funeral director. I will end school June '06 at age 33.
As for now things are running great.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500