News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How wealthy or how not-wealthy are you?

Started by RD, December 15, 2005, 02:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your Annual Salary

$100,000-LUDICROUSLY WEALTHY
$85,000-$100,000
$66,000-$85,000
$43,000-$65,000
$30,000-$42,000
$18,000-$29,000
0-$18,000
-$100,000-$0 (college students)

RD

There is no need to reply with your net worth in the thread because I understand that some of you just do not want to disclose it for privacy reasons, and that is perfectly understandable and respectable, but if you could do the poll it would satisfy my curiousity.

One reason I put this poll together is because of statements like hotrod98's, "I kind of wish that we had bought the SRT10 instead"   just a lil jab, no harm foul :D (for the record hotrod98 is a great guy, downhome Arkansas type and I would give my life for him if need be).   Also, I do not think I have seen this type of poll on here before.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Mass_Mopar

where's the negative?  still in college here :icon_smile_wink:
-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

'CUDA360

DO you mean on your taxes or including under the table   :icon_smile_wink:

Mass_Mopar

-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

Shakey

I've always been taught that rich is not defined by how much money is in the bank but how healthy, happy and content one is in life.

Myself, I have beautiful & loving Wife, a healthy and happy (for the most part) Daughter that will be two in February, numerous trustworthy friends that are fun to be around and of course an extended family that is something right out of the Waltons, or is it the Simpsons.    ;D   Without being a braggart, they all love me just as much as I love them!

I am also very fortunate to be healthy and wise enough to hold a position within a company that enables me to keep a roof over my families head, warm home cooked meals on the table every night (thanks to my Wife) a couple of reliable vehicles in the driveway and a toy, my '69 Charger.   

If you ask me, I am one of the richest people I know.   As far as wealthy, well let's just say I could always use more disposable income however I also realize that money is not necessarily the answer.   It does make things easier sometimes!

I know some very wealthy people that are the most miserable and unhappy people you will ever meet.   They have children that are spolied and ungrateful and are used to having things handed to them.   When things don't go their way - look out!   The old saying is true, money doesn't buy true happiness.

Charger_Fan

I voted my personal income, not what my wife puts into the pot too.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ponch ®

not counting the + equity to my house (which I don't really have access to anyway), I'm definetly in the (-) group (school and car loans). As far as my work income goes, well...we all gotta pay bills, don't we?

As a very wise man I know (Vainglory) once put it, I'm living on "credit and expectations" of a college student.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

41husk

I just figured it out, I am going to be 46 and at my current salary I have projected that in order to be financialy secure I can retire 5 years after I die :rotz: :shruggy: :smilie_help: :violin: :cheers: :lolexplode:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Arthu®

Well as I am still school I don't really have all that much money. I do get payed quiet well at my jobs. But I would have no idea what I make in a year. Varies too much month to month. I spend rediculous amounts of money on cloths and certain alcoholic beverages that cost too much money. And I am lucky enough that my parents pay for my school. Still no matter how much I make even if it is close to 2k a month I will spend it in half a month. I don't know what it is than I will spend 10-15 days broke than I party on again. :S

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Orange_Crush

Anyone who thinks 100 grand a year is rich is in for a sad lesson when they get there.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

last426

It's funny, money just doesn't matter to me.   My income is well off your scale yet my daily drivers are a 79 Honda motorcycle (okay, it's a CBX) and an 85 GMC little pickup.   My clothes are all from Ross, just bought an iron from goodwill, have not been to a fancy restaurant in a year.   I just put in a bunch of flagstone myself -- about a year ago I posted some pics of a big old rock I moved when I put in my pond.   I guess what I am saying is that although I could afford better or to pay people, something in me just won't let me.   And that is not really a good thing!   But it will let me retire fairly soon and time is what is absolutely the most valuable thing that we all have. Kim

RD

Quote from: last426 on December 15, 2005, 03:28:10 PM
It's funny, money just doesn't matter to me.   My income is well off your scale yet my daily drivers are a 79 Honda motorcycle (okay, it's a CBX) and an 85 GMC little pickup.   My clothes are all from Ross, just bought an iron from goodwill, have not been to a fancy restaurant in a year.   I just put in a bunch of flagstone myself -- about a year ago I posted some pics of a big old rock I moved when I put in my pond.   I guess what I am saying is that although I could afford better or to pay people, something in me just won't let me.   And that is not really a good thing!   But it will let me retire fairly soon and time is what is absolutely the most valuable thing that we all have. Kim

Kim,
  I would like to buy you a  :cheers:  that is truly cool how you feel, and oh, will you adopt my family? j/k

ChargerBill

I agree that income and assets are not the best indicators of how "wealthy" a person really is. You could have more money than Gates, but if you're health is poor, your family hates you, you have no friends and you are so busy you have no time to enjoy the simple things, then you are not wealthy by any means in my book.

Also, todays economy $100K/year isn't really considered rich anymore...of course, we all could use more money to bay off debt, take vacations and retire sooner...I wouldn't mind.

IMO THIS one small example of wealth: Christmas 2004 I invited 30 of my closest friends to a Christmas party and sit down dinner at my house, white elephant gift exchange, sang Christmas carols....about 20 showed up because many others had plans. This year I had ALL of them calling me asking when my party was going to be because they had such a great time, the food was excellent (they couldn't stop talking about my Turkey and stuffing) and many of them became friends that hang out to this day. 36 are showing up this year...all are bringing side dishes or desserts. You might think they come to have an excuse to tie one on...actually we don't drink out of respect for the few who have a problem with it. It's about friends and family and love and enjoying the little bit of time we have here on earth.

Another thing, no matter how low I've ever gotten in life, no matter how much in debt I've been or how little I've had in my bank account, I've NEVER gone without the basic necessities in life...never. Even when the outlook was hopeless, God has always provided for my needs...I cannot explain it any other way.
Life is a highway...

RTPTRON

If you are alive and participating in this hobby you are doing OK!!!!!   Our hobby is for all of us. When we are at shows talking about our cars no one ask what your income level is.   We are all the same.   

RD

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 15, 2005, 03:23:08 PM
Anyone who thinks 100 grand a year is rich is in for a sad lesson when they get there.

well i can honestly tell that making 100 grand a year is a helluva lot better than making $21,000 and below with a family.   It is all about how you spend the money.   I live less than comfortably, but there are more times than I can count that I have to rob peter to pay paul just to make sure my family is okay.

I am not being snide or cocky OC, just telling ya how i see it.

RD

Quote from: RTPTRON on December 15, 2005, 03:50:35 PM
If you are alive and participating in this hobby you are doing OK!!!!!   Our hobby is for all of us. When we are at shows talking about our cars no one ask what your income level is.   We are all the same.   

i dont mean this thread as a bash against the well off or not well off, just a lil survey is all.  I do not hold any ill-will towards any one of our brethren in the hobby.  I mean, if this thread is going to go south or hell in a hand basket, I will just have a mod delete it.

TeeWJay426

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 15, 2005, 02:40:33 PM

Same here. Also need to echo the sentiments of others here- the size of the paycheck doesn't determine 'wealth' unto itself. I've been through both good financial times and bad, but as long as you have the basic necessities and family that love and support you, you are indeed rich.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Old Moparz

I guess what I am saying is that although I could afford better or to pay people, something in me just won't let me.   And that is not really a good thing!    Kim

That's because you're more of a tight-wad than I am.   :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

RD

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on December 15, 2005, 03:55:39 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 15, 2005, 02:40:33 PM

Same here. Also need to echo the sentiments of others here- the size of the paycheck doesn't determine 'wealth' unto itself. I've been through both good financial times and bad, but as long as you have the basic necessities and family that love and support you, you are indeed rich.

wording is everything, changed from rich to "wealthy"  :icon_smile_big:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 15, 2005, 03:55:53 PM

I guess what I am saying is that although I could afford better or to pay people, something in me just won't let me.   And that is not really a good thing!    Kim

Never thought I'd hear that one. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ChargerBill

Life is a highway...

last426

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 15, 2005, 03:55:53 PM

I am a cheapskate, there is no doubt about it.  I recognized that in myself so about 4 years ago.  Kim

derailed

I guess what I am saying is that although I could afford better or to pay people, something in me just won't let me.   And that is not really a good thing!   But it will let me retire fairly soon and time is what is absolutely the most valuable thing that we all have. Kim
Kim, I think that is a good thing! I also enjoy doing alot of the stuff on my house myself when I have the time and at least you know its done right and how you want it. I also would never buy a new overpriced vehicle either. I have a 97 Camry with 160,000 miles. To me thats just broken in. Some people can make all the money in the world and still want more and never be happy cause there flat broke.

Just 6T9 CHGR

FWIW, living in NY (5 boro's) and making over 100k does not make you any type of "wealthy" either......I think it depends on your location as well
Chris' '69 Charger R/T