News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Canadian political humour

Started by firefighter3931, January 11, 2006, 09:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

We here up in the great white north are in the midst of a federal election. The ruling party is poised to be kicked on their cans in a few short weeks....with any luck. The following is a pretty accurate description of the last several years up here and how bad things really are !  :lol:

CLASSIC VERSION OF AESOP'S FABLE:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter the ant is warm and well fed. The shivering grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.THE END

THE CANADIAN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed. So far, so good, eh?
>
The shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others less fortunate, like him, are cold and starving.
>
The CBC shows up to provide live coverage of the shivering grasshopper, with cuts to a video of the ant in his comfortable warm home with a table laden with food.
>
Canadians are stunned that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so while others have plenty.
>
The NDP, the CAW and the Coalition Against Poverty demonstrate in front of the ant's house. The CBC, interrupting an Inuit cultural festival special from Nunavut with breaking news, broadcasts them singing "We Shall Overcome."
>
Sven Robinson rants in an interview with Pamela Wallin that the ant has gotten rich off the backs of grasshoppers, and calls for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his "fair share".
>
In response to polls, the Liberal Government drafts the Economic Equity and Grasshopper Anti-Discrimination Act, retroactive to the beginning of the summer.
>
The ant's taxes are reassessed, and he is also fined for failing to hire grasshoppers as helpers.
>
Without enough money to pay both the fine and his newly imposed retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.
>
The ant moves to the US, and starts a successful agribiz company. The CBC later shows the now fat grasshopper finishing up the last of the ant's food, though Spring is still months away, while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he hasn't bothered to maintain it.
>
Inadequate government funding is blamed, Roy Romanow is appointed head a commission of enquiry that will cost $10,000,000.
>
The grasshopper is soon dead of a drug overdose. The Toronto Star blames it on the obvious failure of government to address the root causes of despair arising from social inequity. The abandoned house is taken over by a gang of immigrant spiders, praised by the government for enriching Canada's multicultural diversity, who promptly set up a marijuana grow op and terrorize the community.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TK73

THAT'S FUNNY... unfortunately it sounds like it has a bit of truth.

I'll be visiting our neighbors to the North this weekend to bring US $$ to donate to a fine organization that suplies "adult" beverages and "adult" entertainment to a priveleged few.  Social work at its finest.  :icon_smile_evil:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

RD

ron that is hilarious.   too bad its so true.  the lazy are rewarded whereas the hard working are penalized ??? ???
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Duey

Yeah...sad but true.  I think many of us Canucks don't have a problem with providing meaningful assistance to those who truly need it, but there is unfortunately a huge section of society that thinks that they should be looked after when they themselves have little or no motivation to help themselves in the first place...that is what burns the honest working taxpayer! >:(

Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

bull

Sounds a lot like the ways things are run here too.

Mefirst

I wont even get into the idiotic stuff going on in Sweden, Ron's story does though explane quite nicely how things are over here to.. The weird part is that the politicians who make our lives miserable are voted over and over again to power, its that part I just cant figure out?

/Tom

Chryco Psycho

:smilielol:

Oh wait that isn`t funny   :RantExplode:  :brickwall:

Dueppy

The same "game" is going on in germany...
Really bad development in these days.  ::)

TK73

Quote from: Mefirst on January 12, 2006, 02:43:58 AM

The weird part is that the politicians who make our lives miserable are voted over and over again to power, its that part I just cant figure out?

Here too...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

Quote from: TK73 on January 12, 2006, 08:18:43 AM

The weird part is that the politicians who make our lives miserable are voted over and over again to power, its that part I just cant figure out?

Here too...

Yea, guys like Ted Kennedy. ;)

Orange_Crush

Quote from: TK73 on January 12, 2006, 08:18:43 AM

Here too...

In Ecuador, we have a saying for this:

"Somos como burros en la lluvia"

Translated...we are like DOnkeys in the rain...we sit there making no effort to better our situation.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Old Moparz

And it goes to show you how dumb donkeys really are, they can't even come up with a forum to post arguments about it.  :icon_smile_big:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

1970440RT

I believe that most decent human beings that have any "wealth" feel obligated to take care of those who can't take care of themselves.  I count myself in that category.  It makes me sick that the government forces me to take care of people who CAN take care of themselves but choose not to.  

"Career politician" is a word that should not exist.  Those who make politics a career may start out very noble but eventually their main goal is too perpetuate their position and their power.  Those citizens who benefit from gov't entitlement programs but don't need them make a very powerful voting base, hence the pandering to that base by the "Career politician".

I hope I am making sense.  Ron, that story is so funny because it is so close to the truth.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1970440RT on January 12, 2006, 11:50:52 AM
   I believe that most decent human beings that have any "wealth" feel obligated to take care of those who can't take care of themselves.  I count myself in that category.  It makes me sick that the government forces me to take care of people who CAN take care of themselves but choose not to.  

"Career politician" is a word that should not exist.  Those who make politics a career may start out very noble but eventually their main goal is too perpetuate their position and their power.  Those citizens who benefit from gov't entitlement programs but don't need them make a very powerful voting base, hence the pandering to that base by the "Career politician".

I hope I am making sense.  Ron, that story is so funny because it is so close to the truth.

My sentiments exactly....well said. We need some type of political reform :

Personally, i feel that voting rules should be amended. I have a hard time with welfare bums having the same vote as the rest of the tax paying public. Maybe restrict the right to vote to those that actually contribute to the treasury, not drain it ? Should a liability have the same voice as an asset ?

That might aleniate some people so we could allways look at alternatives: 1 vote for the welfare "grasshopper" and 2 votes for the worker "ant" .....that should level the playing field a little. ;D  I'm sure the politicians would just luv that idea :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger_Fan

I always considered the welfare leaches to be more of a...well, a leach than a grasshopper.  :icon_smile_big:

Funny post Ron, I'm gonna have to e-mail that to a few people. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Dodge Don

All for one.......and one for one

Don't profile criminals because you may make a mistake and confuse them with other criminals.