News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is this too much initial timing on a newly rebuilt engine with performance cam?

Started by oldrock, April 27, 2010, 03:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldrock

just thought I would post a quick vid of the car now that we sorted out the electrical issues on it. take a look and let us know what you think of the charger now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa_3TA74wAg

charge69

Nice video and nice Charger! Glad you figured out the idle problem. Enjoy that ride!

Purple440

Cool thread.  Would you guys recommend removing the ballast resistor when using an electronic ignition?  I've got a MSD 6 box with a blaster coil.  Having some idle/low rpm issues myself...gone through 4 carbs and a set of wires so far.  I get this periodic stuttering going on at low rpm.

Thanks,
- Doug

FLG

elacruze

Quote from: elacruze on April 30, 2010, 11:12:18 PM
The ballast resistor is only there to protect points and condenser. You don't need it with an electronic ignition.
Your Accel supercoil draws more current than a stock coil too, which is another reason it was weak at low rpm. As rpm goes up, so does alternator output and system voltage.
Nice catch, by the way.

This was a half-cocked statement, and I'm retracting it. I was thinking specifically MSD. Each ignition component manufacturer has recommendations for resistors in the circuit, and you should research them to find the best combination. Some ignitions are built to accommodate system voltage up to 20 volts, which gives a much more powerful spark under racing conditions. Obviously, you can't run 20 volts in a street system or you'll fry everything *except* the ignition.
Just keep in mind that you want to keep the voltage across the coil as high as permissible within the designer's intent, and for exactly the reason that started this thread; the higher the voltage, the better the spark. You can buy ballast resistors in a wide spread of types and resistance values.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

b5blue

:iagree: That quoted statement prompted me to PM Firefighter and do an online research for my big old yellow "Supercoil"......the findings were to use the stock type rated resister in the circuit. As it has for over 17 years with the same coil.