News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

K-frame bolt is stuck in frame rail

Started by AmadeusCharger500, May 31, 2010, 05:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Little bit of a snag in this project. I was prepared that the k-frame would need some metal working but I was gonna take it to a shop the reinforce the back mounts. This here is the driver side rear bolt. It is stuck in its mounting hole. The plate that it threads into is loose inside the frame. Although my first guess was that is is rusted in place. After trying various methods I'm starting to think it may have been welded (maybe doesn't make sense but this thing was doctored a bit). So anyone have any bright ideas as to making this useful again?

stuga

Okay your probably aren't going to like this :brickwall:. so use it as a last option, but a best way to fix it. you state it's the rear driver side so drill out the spot welds were the mounting plate is connected to the frame rail. you can buy a spot weld cutting drill bit from eastwood supply or better yet ask your junkyard welder if he know were you can buy or borrow one. Drill out only the outer over lapping metal until the mount is removable. Then you can cut the bolt and re weld a new bolt plate to the inside of the piece and as you mount the piece back onto the frame rail you will only have to weld into the drilled out sections to re attach it. It sounds harder then it is. Make real sure if you do this you better mark were the mounting plate was exactly with a scribe and recorder measurements

stuga

Here you can see the spot welds better on my passenger side, circled in orange(not very neat circles ;D). If this is the mount your taking about on your driver side than look on the brite side, at least it wasn't your forward mounts.

AmadeusCharger500

Thanks Stuga. Seeing as how this is now beyond saving it looks like removal from the car is the best option.