News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Dog asked me to post this.

Started by Khyron, May 30, 2010, 11:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

One thing I have always been anal about on all my cars, Charger and others is plu wire placement, for the Charger however this always ended up being a PITA. With the distributer in the front, the wires always looked messy, this was my answer.

I took a set of universal Chevy wire looms from Anvanced auto parts
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-6018/

and used the top chevy center bold holes mounted sideways. insteal of draping them over the the side of the valve cover, you will need to gring them a bit to get them to fit depending on your valve covers.

I then mounted them sideways and used Accel Spiral core cut to fit and put them in place. here are the pics.

hope this helps clean up those engine compartments.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Mefirst

Hemidog

Thanks Khyron! :thumbs:

Were these the wires you bought? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-5040K/

I'm guessing you have 90 degree boots all around, and I think I will have problems tucking the wires through my snug TTI headers, so I might be better off using straight spark plug boots?  :scratchchin:

bill440rt

Since they are mounted directly over the headers, would cooking the wires be a concern?  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Khyron

no, these are the ones I bought http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-7045/ I use the boot protectors that keep the wires safe, you could probubly get away with a straight boot.

Quote from: bill440rt on May 31, 2010, 08:36:14 AM
Since they are mounted directly over the headers, would cooking the wires be a concern?  :scratchchin:

nope, haven't had one problem, The wires are good, the booties save the plugs, and they are far enough up that the headers don't bother them, been running em for a while now :)

Im looking at the pics again and they do look low, but trust me, when you bend the system up so they are level, they are far enough up to not have a problem.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Hemidog

Khyron

Quote from: Hemidog on May 31, 2010, 04:22:19 PM
Quote from: Khyron on May 31, 2010, 12:32:01 PM
no, these are the ones I bought http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-7045/

But those are assembled?  :scratchchin: did you cut them anyway?

opps, no, I got the ones that aren't assembled. let me double check...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-7031/

sorry :(

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Hemidog

Thanks.

I'm torn between 90 ,115 and straight boots. I think some of the header tubes are closer to the valve covers than yours, I'll check closer tomorrow.

What type of headers do you have?

Khyron

Hooker I believe..... I would get some new ones but im so pissed at the car I don't know how long i'll have her.... we'll see.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Hemidog

I think I know how you feel  :yesnod:

BTW, don't want to hassle on about this, but are those really the looms you used?
These look more like the ones on your pics:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNM-1104P/   (horizontal wire looms)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNM-1104-90-P/ (vertical wire looms)

Off course the pictures are the same, but you used the horizontal ones?

Khyron

they are the same thing, just shown with the optinal bar, the ones I bought could be mounted both ways. Basiclly, the cheap ones at advanced ;)

The ones I used where Mr. gasket. the links you posted are a different company, they are most likely the same thing.

see
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Spark-Plug-Wire-Loom-Kits-Mr--Gasket_17360138-P_N3347E_P%7CGRP2041____

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

I used the center bolt hangers as the bars ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Hemidog

Can't argue with the results!   :icon_smile_cool:

It took a good day to install, and didn't excactly fit out of the box, and in retrospect I should have gone with 120 degree boots, but I am happy.

Thanks again Khyron!

Rolling_Thunder

Here's How I do the ones on BBs I build...     

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Darkman

WOW, but you have to show more pictures than that
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

FLG

Rolling please post some pics and what you use! That looks simply awesome!

Patronus

I really like the low-mount AC compressor, wheres the alt? And are those brackets from March Mfg.?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Rolling_Thunder

Yes - that was one of the first March serpentine belt set ups for the BB mopar...    nothing but problems...     the alt is low mount on the pass side - not allowing a mechanical pump...   you can not see the timing marks on the balancer...      and the alignment was crappy...      

Let me dig up some pics on how I did these...      I will tell you guys it is NOT fun...     it involves drilling the engine block and using 1/4 x 20 studs - bent 1/4" tubing and making a bracket that holds the wires down tight against the engine block...       I did them on an engine stand with the headers in place - thus making a lot of them different...     It worked well with TTI headers -  this led to NO burnt wires - I usually ran the big 8.5mm MSD wires - custom fit.     The wires were then head shrinked together to maintain a uniform drop along the water pump and front of engine block...         I know people worry about spark cross over but there was never an issue...   

I have a pic somewhere on how I did it -  let me look. 

moparstuart

here is a different option , but i had problems with it also

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Long Island RT

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 05, 2010, 06:28:12 PM
Here's How I do the ones on BBs I build...     

Hey Rolling T - Where'd you get that hydroboost setup in this picture?  I have that Willwood master and I'd like to get more "assistance" for my brakes.

Thanks

Sorry for the hijack.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

Khyron

They look great Hemidog :) and Kudos to all the nice clean setups, Im glad im not the only Anal one about my wires :D

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Rolling_Thunder

that hydroboost kit was from hydratech If i remember correctly    :2thumbs:

Patronus

:mcride: let the jacking continue...
if I may, Rolling Thunder, what have you found works/looks best for the AC mount?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Rolling_Thunder

Honestly - Billet Specialties true trac system is the best as far as quality and function -  you can use a mechanical pump and it looks awesome -  the older March system with dual serpentine belts was nice too - better than their "true serpentine system" -  although I have had quality issues with March...