News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Directional slotted rotors

Started by bull, May 30, 2010, 10:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

So apparently slotted rotors are directional. I didn't know that and put new rotors on my Dakota on the wrong sides. How imperative is it that they be turning the "correct" direction? Why is it so important that the slots be pointing toward the back of the truck instead of forward?

HPP

In a competition application where gas and debris build up very quickly, direction is important because the grooves force all this stuff out towards the hoop of the wheel where the cooling holes in the wheels blow it all away. having the grooves backwards does the opposite and can accellerate heat build up in the bearings.

In a street car, I'd question whether grooves are actually effective enough to make a difference, so being backwards may not be a big deal.

bull

Any opinions on the debate about slots having rounded ends or pointed ends and this having an effect on their ability to vent gas and dust?

A383Wing

I just put slotted & drilled rotors on our PT...they were marked left and right...top of slots are on the leading edge of rotor.

Left side rotor pictured below

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on May 30, 2010, 07:44:10 PM
I just put slotted & drilled rotors on our PT...they were marked left and right...top of slots are on the leading edge of rotor.

Left side rotor pictured below

That's odd. I talked to a couple of guys about this today and they both said they're supposed to go opposite of the way you and I did it so that the slots point toward the back of the car. :shruggy:

bull

Ok, I guess there's even more to it that just the slot direction (which it appears we got right). I'm seeing stuff that says the direction of the inner vane is most important.

A383Wing

Yea...the instructions talked about the inner vanes as well on my PT rotors....something about them being curved or whatnot...mine were straight from the center outward...so they said to disregard that part and go by what they had marked and the direction of the slots on the outside 

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on May 31, 2010, 01:43:22 PM
Yea...the instructions talked about the inner vanes as well on my PT rotors....something about them being curved or whatnot...mine were straight from the center outward...so they said to disregard that part and go by what they had marked and the direction of the slots on the outside 

I think most of the regular passenger car rotors are the straight-vane type while the curved-vane rotors are geared more toward performance cars. I'm doing to be getting another pair of rotors to replace the warped OE set on the front of my Durango so I need to know all this stuff. I should have figured this out sooner obviously but... :slap:

If anyone reading this has a Durango with OE rotors, don't bother having them turned when you get your brakes redone because they always warp. Just junk them and buy new.

elacruze

Quote from: bull on May 31, 2010, 02:07:38 PM
If anyone reading this has a Durango with OE rotors, don't bother having them turned when you get your brakes redone because they always warp. Just junk them and buy new.

I think that applies to just about anything anymore. I quit buying non-premium rotors a long time ago. My Cavalier and Sunfire both have about $200 worth on each lol.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bull

Quote from: elacruze on May 31, 2010, 11:46:50 PM
Quote from: bull on May 31, 2010, 02:07:38 PM

I think that applies to just about anything anymore. I quit buying non-premium rotors a long time ago. My Cavalier and Sunfire both have about $200 worth on each lol.

You're probably right. I can't see myself taking the chance again. Why waste the time and money just to end up buying new ones?