News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much vacume shout I have for my power breaks to work properly

Started by troy.70R/T, May 31, 2010, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

How much vacuum is need in order to operate my power brakes properly. Is the port on the intake the best place to get the most vacuum?

b5blue

I think my old 509 cam build ran about 8" and with an added reserve canister they worked pretty good. At 14" with my resto cam they worked super until today! (something has gone wrong, I got brake but no boost!)

maxwellwedge

histoy

I ran the 484 Mopar purple cam in my '68 GTX with a 4 speed.  It carried 11 inches of vacuum and the power brakes worked fine.  Currently my '68 Coronet R/T with an auto transmission has 11 - 12 inches, and the power brakes aren't quite as good as I'd like.   Running less than 11 inches of vacuum would probably be iffy in my opinion.

Musicman

18" is the standard minimum for best operation, but they will work with less obviously, just harder.

troy.70R/T

greenpigs

Quote from: b5blue on May 31, 2010, 04:37:16 PM
I think my old 509 cam build ran about 8" and with an added reserve canister they worked pretty good. At 14" with my resto cam they worked super until today! (something has gone wrong, I got brake but no boost!)

Sounds like you need a new booster or seal.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bobs66440

Quote from: Musicman on May 31, 2010, 05:21:31 PM
18" is the standard minimum for best operation, but they will work with less obviously, just harder.

:yesnod: