News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Idea for/question about hood call outs.....>>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, May 19, 2010, 06:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

My '70 was built too early to have call outs (she does have black outs), but I've always wanted to add 'em.

Lately I've been wondering if there would be a way to put them on, but only temporarily (i.e. off for shows where originality is really needed).

Then I starting thinking about those business card sized magnetic dealies they use for towing company/insurance/etc. advertising, and wondered if you could have the call outs cut from that material.

That way you could easily slap your call outs on for fun, and take 'em off if you need to, or if you swapped your motor.

Anyone else thought about this, or gone that route?

Another question is were black and white the only true color options for call outs?

Thanks for reading.

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Dont see why it cant be done but if your stripes are painted with Organasol (textured paint) or flat black etc you run the risk of scratching the finish with the magnet....

Also from what I know reflective silver was the only color for the call outs....

I had mine done in flat black & put them on my '69 over 10 years ago.....because I can  :nana:

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bakerhillpins

You will definitely scratch the paint with magnets. If any dirt gets under them at all it will end up scratching. I use magnets to protect my gas tank on my motorcycle (from the crash suit rubbing against it) but it still ends up with scratches and it rarely ever comes off.

Did you plan on driving with them on? I tried those magnets at one time for some reason (not a business though) and they peeled right off the car at speed. Never did find one of them.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Shakey

Perhaps the companies that make the advertising wraps for buses could make a set for you.   :shruggy:

I don't know much about the wraps, whether the material they use can be removed and reapplied. 

If they can make them for you, you could get a few sets made in different colours.

viper r/t

I've heard afew guys have magnets made for general lees, You might could ask someone that has done that and get the details...

Johnny SixPack

Yeah, scratches and wind were issues, but had hoped someone might have pioneered this already.  :icon_smile_big:

Will putting on the stock sticker style ruin the black outs if I ever do decide to remove them? :shruggy:

Shakey, I think I know the material you are talking about.

Someone showed me a pic of a Scion XB that had been completely covered in a giant advertisement made with that stuff.

Talked about how it wouldn't mar the paint/clear coat.  :scratchchin:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

bakerhillpins

NYCMille just did this with his 68 for the last fundraiser he did.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,69285.0.html

I believe it's a vinyl wrap if recall correctly. Not sure it is made for small or multiple use applications though.  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

grdprx

Ya, Vinyl would be the route to go.  Stick it on like the bumble bee stripes, and can be peeled off.  I actually saw a guy putting stripes on his hood of the new mustang this morning...

Johnny SixPack

My only concern is will whatever I would use somehow damage the blackouts/paint when/if they are removed.

Anyone here with blackouts have any knowledge on this?
Johnny's Herd:

472 R/T SE

V24 Paint Performance Hood "440" or "Hemi" Reflective Silver Color Became available on November 12, 1969

From the Registry.

---

Putting your car back to as built correct is gonna be a little more work than peeling off some vinyl/magnetic decals.   :shruggy:  Besides the fact your car is flat gorgeous, it's definitely unique & for that reason it'd be as correct as possible if it were mine.

Since your car is already personalized I say put them on & leave them on.  I'd venture to say 95% of the public, (even the Mopar folks) don't know the call outs were a mid year option.   :Twocents: :Twocents:

Johnny SixPack

Mike, yeah, after Carlisle I think I may go that route.

I'm an August 2nd "70 Charger, so I missed call outs and Go-Wings (both of which I want).

Was the reflective silver the stock color?
Johnny's Herd:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Johnny SixPack on May 26, 2010, 09:31:10 AM

As I stated above it was the only color :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 26, 2010, 11:30:31 AM

D'oh!  :slap:

I must've missed that. :brickwall:  :icon_smile_big:

Black works nicely on yours, Chris.  :2thumbs:

You have any idea if the adhesive has any long term effect on the hood's paint?
Johnny's Herd:

moparstuart

Quote from: Johnny SixPack on May 26, 2010, 01:51:03 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 26, 2010, 11:30:31 AM

D'oh!  :slap:

I must've missed that. :brickwall:  :icon_smile_big:

Black works nicely on yours, Chris.  :2thumbs:

call dave at performance car  graphics      he is an expert on this stuff
http://www.performancecargraphics.com/                 he should also be able to make the reflective decals up for you 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Just 6T9 CHGR

Its not the adhesive but the decal itself....being on the car for 10+ years will definitely have some "ghosting" of the decals in the paint.....even though the car is garage kept, those long hot days in the sun at car shows fade the paint to an extent....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 26, 2010, 04:29:32 PM

Its not the adhesive but the decal itself....being on the car for 10+ years will definitely have some "ghosting" of the decals in the paint.....even though the car is garage kept, those long hot days in the sun at car shows fade the paint to an extent....

Thanks, Chris!

I wondered, as many adhesives seem to damage the underlying surfaces they are applied to.

The ghosting makes perfect sense, and I hadn't even thought of that angle. :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd: