News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Newbe with question about missing radio

Started by bonfire1009, May 23, 2010, 03:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonfire1009

I have a 69 Charger and the radio was not included in the deal.  Judging by the cutout I can tell it wasn't a dial radio.  I tried to find some info on the net but could not, my fender tags are MIA so I do not know how it came off the line.  I know that some radios that were put in Chargers were any of the following:  Music Master Radio, AM/FM Radio, Astrophonic Radio, AM with possible tape.

Question – while searching for a radio what would be considered for a reasonable price original radio?
Also, was it common as in today's era, to swap radios?  I am mainly wondering if a person back then would swap out the bezel/radio cutout while also swapping a radio.

I am new to this forum and I will take any help I can get
Thanks,

ChgrSteve67

Pictures of the dash will be helpfull to see what is going on.

Price for a radio depends on its type and condition.

I have also seen some people convert AM radios to AM/FM and AUX jacks so people can plug thier mp3 players in.
I have also see just shells for sale to fit in the old hole then install a modern radio under the seat or in the dash.

Chatt69chgr

The AM radio was very common.  The AM/FM was not so they cost a lot on EBAY.  You should be able to pick up a nice AM for maybe $150 plus or minus.  You are looking for a nice cosmetic appearance here.  Nice chrome, etc.  Not full of pits.  Then send the radio off to one of these places that will convert the guts to FM and the MP3 jack mentioned above.  That way, you get the original appearance and modern electronics.  I think Wards Classic Radio in Huntsville, AL does this.  May have completed units available too.  Not sure.  There are others that advertise in the Mopar Mags that do this conversion.  The original faceplate is available from BEA Mopar----see their website.

Brock Lee

If you are going to have one converted or gone through, buy one with the best lens possible as they are not reproduced.