News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some good ol' DC.com advice...on wheels on '72

Started by AKcharger, May 25, 2010, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

OK guys I'm going either way on this depending on the hour. I got my new 15x10 Crager SS' on the back and they look great BUT they do not fit all the way in the wheel well (Wheel place guy assued me they would). For normal driveing they're fine, bit if I put a person or two in the back seat and hit some speed bumps fast, really trying to get it to hit, they do rub the fender...a bit. Options are:
1) Keep 'em since I will rarely if ever have anyone in the back seat and if I do I'll go slow over bumps
2) Exchange them for 8 inch rims...not as deep dish but will fit in wheel well

Each option has a cost but is there any unexpected consequences I'm not thinking of here?

Thanks

elacruze

Make the wheel guy exchange them for a set with 1/2" more backspacing. His word, right? Shouldn't be your liability.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1972Rallye

Option #2...  The 8" rims will look better than the 10" (IMO) and function ALL the time.  The tire shop should exchange them for you since they assured you they would fit how you wanted them to.  :Twocents:

You didn't say what your tire size was, but here's a pic of my Bee with 275-60R-15s on 8" Rallyes (not sure of backspacing).

AKcharger

The tire guy is fine, he's eating the cost so that's not a problem. Unfortunatly the max back space you can get is 4.25, I need one more inch to clear and have 2 inches to the spring so if they made a 5.25 I'd be great...but they don't.

Thanks for the pic rallye!

Troy

Yeah, it's not the width of the rim - it's the back spacing. If you can get an 8" rim with the same BS it effectively moves the wheel in towards the spring.

I just don't put people in the back... ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Nacho-RT74

beside everything beind said, I think the tire itself is not wide enough to fill the rim. Probably you are making just a fitment test using the old tires, but just posting my note ;D just in case
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 25, 2010, 11:48:25 AM
beside everything beind said, I think the tire itself is not wide enough to fill the rim. Probably you are making just a fitment test using the old tires, but just posting my note ;D just in case

Yeah, if those are the tires you're sticking with, I'd definitely go with an 8". :yesnod: :Twocents:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

451-74Charger

My tire guy says that if im going to run 10's, to go with 295/65/15's

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Johnny SixPack on May 25, 2010, 12:07:19 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 25, 2010, 11:48:25 AM

Yeah, if those are the tires you're sticking with, I'd definitely go with an 8". :yesnod: :Twocents:

:iagree:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikesbbody

Another vote for the 8 inch rim with 275/60/15  :2thumbs:

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

AKcharger

DONE! went with the 8x15's and I'm very happy!  :icon_smile_big: Moparsuebear brought the car to the shop to swap everything over and it looks perfect!

Actually there's more to the story, The 1st try was Saturday with the tires you see below, but the 275R60 15s on the back were too tall and clearance was about zero. The tire guy said he could make it fit with diffrent tires, I didn't see how, but he was the expert. So yesterday he changed all 4 tires over to COOPER COBRAS with 255R60 15's on the back, lower profile so make more room but still stuck out. So today We brought it back again (guy was getting pissed, but didn't charge) and went back to the original tires and 8 inch rims, fits perfect and fills wheel wells nicely.

Thanks for the advice guys  :cheers:

elacruze

Sweet!

Any time a tire store doesn't give me a hard time, I'm happy. Definitely recommend him, or stop in with a box of donuts!
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1972Rallye

There you go... THAT looks GOOD!  Much better... :2thumbs:

451-74Charger