News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Remote fuel pump not hooked up...should I just remove this?

Started by russg, May 21, 2010, 11:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russg

This elec fuel pump (wires not connected) came this way setup in the trunk when i bought it, I have not done anything with it as the car has been running good, the fuel pump up at the normal location on the engine seems to be doing just fine.  Would this thing just being hooked up and the fuel running through it cause a drag in fuel flow I imagine?  Should I hook the wires up and see what happens or maybe that would just be too much fuel flow?  Thinking I should just remove it.

By russg at 2009-09-25
73 Charger SE, 383, Headman headers, Holley 670 SA, Flowmaster Super 44's

John_Kunkel

I would think that it has to be restricting the flow somewhat, I'd hook it up and see what happens. If the pump is inop remove it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

russg

where would best place to wire this in, just run a line up into the fuse block?
73 Charger SE, 383, Headman headers, Holley 670 SA, Flowmaster Super 44's

squeakfinder

I'm leaning toward removing it and eliminate most of those rubber hoses in the process. As far as testing it, I would think a temporary hookup to the fuse box or directly to the battery would be OK. But anything permanent you'll want it hooked to a relay triggered by something like the ignition switch. But if the car's running good without it I think I'd take it out.
 Maybee a previous owner had some kind of fuel delivery problem and felt they had to put it on there.  
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

John_Kunkel

One of the major reasons for installing an electric pump on seldom-driven cars is to prime the carb after the fuel bowls evaporate dry.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

7dcharger

I would remove it just for the chance that it would leak into the trunk.

69charger440

I would remove it also. We just had a Superbee lose a electric fuel pump and had to tow it!!! It was 1 a.m too. SUCKED!!!!   I think it also should be hooked up somewhere by the fuel tank. That poor pump will not last long trying to pump fuel out of the tank that high above the tank!! Just my  :Twocents:
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP