News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Constructive criticism needed for toy hauler build

Started by w200alaska, May 25, 2010, 10:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w200alaska

I have a 1972 W200 Dodge Crew Cab short bed 4X4 in the middle of a frame off restoration. This is a Camper Special with HD axles 4.11 gears, 33" tall tires and will probably scale somewhere around 7000 lbs. NV 4500 5 speed manual transmission with a divorced 205 transfer case. Power brakes, power steering and no AC. I am in the middle of building a 440 to transplant the original 360. Truck will be used as a real truck to tow race car 10% of the time and mostly negligible load the rest (ie garbage, building materials etc.) My engine build has just started and I currently have the following:

-440 block bored .030 over
-440 Source 440 stealth heads in the box

After seeing dyno results of mfr426's build, tentative plan is as follows:

-440 Source 440 >> 512. (4.250" stroke/7.100" rod) factory balanced
-New Engle K60H Cam and Engle Lifters?
-New Crane Chrome Moly Pushrods.
-New Crane Rocker Shafts
-New Stock MP rocker arms
-New Crane 3 bolt double roller timing gear/chain and cover.
-New edelbrock performer Intake?
-New MSD Pro-Billet Ready to Run Distributor
-Doug Thorley tri-y headers PRIMARY/COLLECTOR: 1 3/4" - 2 1/2"
-Holley carb CFM?
-Spark plugs?

Per application I am limited in header choices-all of which have 1 3/4 primaries and some have 3" collectors, but are thinner walled tubes. Engle no longer offers this cam in their catalog and I am not sure if it is applicable to this build anyway. Also need help with proper selection of carb (I am most familiar with Holleys), intake and plugs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

firefighter3931

A build similar to Mike's would work fine in your application.

I's probably go one size smaller on the cam (Engle k58 112* lsa) and run a dual plane manifold with an 850cfm holley carb. Engle is still making the smae cam profiles but they no longer list them online. New ownership is in the process of updating the website from what i've heard.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

w200alaska

Thanks Firefighter, Comp cams reccomended their xe285hl part # 21-228-4 which has a 110 lsa. What do you think as those are available locally. Also the best pump gas in these parts of the woods is 90 octane which may require me to go to a -27 piston vs. the -17. What do you think? Thanks again

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 28, 2010, 09:04:34 AM
A build similar to Mike's would work fine in your application.

I's probably go one size smaller on the cam (Engle k58 112* lsa) and run a dual plane manifold with an 850cfm holley carb. Engle is still making the smae cam profiles but they no longer list them online. New ownership is in the process of updating the website from what i've heard.

Ron

So Engle is making the k58 now? They didn't have cores when I was looking so I ended up with a Crower.

firefighter3931

Quote from: w200alaska on May 30, 2010, 10:16:09 AM
Thanks Firefighter, Comp cams reccomended their xe285hl part # 21-228-4 which has a 110 lsa. What do you think as those are available locally. Also the best pump gas in these parts of the woods is 90 octane which may require me to go to a -27 piston vs. the -17. What do you think? Thanks again

The 285hl is a nice cam but it's designed for increased top end charge and you're wanting to build a torque monster. Keeping the cam duration conservative will make for a stump pulling monster....you want instant off idle power and sharp throttle response. The Motor won't likely see more than 5000rpm so build it accordingly....dual plane intake/small headers & mild cam with a wide LSA for a broad powerband. Let the stroke/displacement work for you.  ;) 

I'd shoot for 10:1 compression with tight quench to guarantee it runs on pump gas.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs