News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Six pack problems

Started by paulgrr63, May 24, 2010, 04:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulgrr63

Here's the basic issue at hand:
Car is driven very little. It is a 72 Charger with a 440+6.
Motor, trans, carbs, etc have about 200-300 miles on them since rebuild over 5 years ago.Drove car for about 2 hours several weeks ago which was the most it's been driven in 5 years (car ran fine). Parked in garage and everything was fine.Went out a week later to move car and it reluctantly starts but sounds horrible, smokes bad (white smoke).Inspected plugs and found them to be badly fouled (all of them). Changed all the plugs with no change to performance.Also noticed that center carb has gas spewing out and filling valleys on carb. (shut off, afraid of fire). Anyone have this problem before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Paul

b5blue

The float seat seals have tiny rubber tips that I'm certain have dried out. That makes setting float height in the bowl impossible as the fuel leaks in and floods the whole system. I would plan on getting 3 carb kits and pull the carbs replace the gaskets and seals to be safe.  :2thumbs: (Mine were dry and had little grooves around them where they sat shut for too long dry) If you do it carefully all you will need to readjust is the float height when it's back together.

Sublime/Sixpack

Like b5blue suggested the carbs should be gone through.
Question: How did the plugs actually look? Black fluff? Black and wet? Lots of crud?
And the "white" smoke would concern me.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

69charger440

Quote from: b5blue on May 24, 2010, 05:22:41 PM
The float seat seals have tiny rubber tips that I'm certain have dried out. That makes setting float height in the bowl impossible as the fuel leaks in and floods the whole system. I would plan on getting 3 carb kits and pull the carbs replace the gaskets and seals to be safe.  :2thumbs: (Mine were dry and had little grooves around them where they sat shut for too long dry) If you do it carefully all you will need to readjust is the float height when it's back together.

I concur!!!!! :2thumbs: Had this happen on my 750 holly!!!  Spews fuel out!! Pretty cool, but scary!! I adjusted the float levels and problems was solved!!
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Big Sugar

I had a tough season with my 6 pack setup 5 years back, same thing ,Rebuild kit fix loose bowl line connections, carb flooding, ...Lucaly it was the emd of the season. Sent the whole works off too Ben a Promax.
Max Pack upgrade and a full rebuild with Blueprint (spec'd on paper) Dyno'd and returned...Smooth a silk.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

hemi68charger

If you haven't done anything yet, try tapping on the center float bowl in the area of the needle-n-seat adjuster. I used to have that problem with a six pack I had. If that doesn't do anything, then you'll need to take the center carb off and clean her out. Also, while you're there, spray, with GUMOUT or Berryman's carb cleaner, the 4 bleed air holes on the air horn. If those get clogged with any dust or sand particle, it'll screw up the fuel-air mixture. Holley carbs are VERY easy to work on and if you don't have a big cam, leave the center carb along (OEM)...... These puppies work awesome straight out of the box.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ACUDANUT

I agree. However, that's not a 72 Charger. Maybe a 73-74.  :Twocents: