News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electronical fans with a mechanical engine fan

Started by 1970Moparmann, May 23, 2010, 09:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Stupid question, but this one is haunting me for some reason..... I currently have two electric fans on my engine which are set up to pull with no mechanical fan.  The engine was/is getting warm, so I'm changing this by putting a mechanical fan on with a shroud.  Since I have two 12" electric fans, I'm going to put them on the outside of the aluminum radiator, but am having a problem with the idea how to set them up as a pusher or puller.  Since I'm going to have a mechanical fan, which is like a pusher (right??), then I should set up the electric as pullers - correct?  The mechanical fan will push air through the radiator, so on the front of the radiators the electric fans should help pull the air through - correct?  I'm having a mental issue because I thought most fans on the front of the radiator are pushers?   :brickwall:

Someone please explain - THANK YOU! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

A383Wing

Air needs to be going from front of radiator to the engine side. Stock fan blade is a "puller" style because it's on the engine side of radiator. If you have electric fans on the front of the radiator, they need to be "pusher" style.

I have stock fan blade on the Daytona, and an electric "pusher" fan mounted to the front of the radiator

68X426

:yesnod:   Push from the outside, pull from the inside.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

adauto

Quote from: A383Wing on May 23, 2010, 09:43:56 PM
Air needs to be going from front of radiator to the engine side. Stock fan blade is a "puller" style because it's on the engine side of radiator. If you have electric fans on the front of the radiator, they need to be "pusher" style.

I have stock fan blade on the Daytona, and an electric "pusher" fan mounted to the front of the radiator

:yesnod:  :2thumbs:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

elacruze

You can usually change a puller to a pusher by simply turning the fan over 180* on the shaft. Then mount to the front of the radiator.

I've yet to see electric fans solve a cooling problem that a properly shrouded clutch fan couldn't.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1970Moparmann

Thanks all!  Had my logic wrong to begin with. :yesnod:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!