News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

so, you hear of rear sprag failure but never saw one huh?

Started by RD, May 23, 2010, 08:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

:o :o

well look at this puppy.  just tore it down.  found alum. shavings in the pan, thought "uh oh"; dropped the VB found two lil chunks of aluminum, thought "not good"; pulled pump, front/intermediate drums, sunshell and tried to get rear drum out.... thought "well, its stuck, found the problem."  had to put some vise grips on it and wiggle from side to side and poof! it came out.. along with the sprag housing area of the case.  look at the springs and rollers.. some rollers are blued and half gone!  :eek2: 

I do not know the history on this transmission, and I do not even need to worry about what caused it as I am using nothing from this trans in the next one.  what good parts that are left are now going into the parts bin after thorough inspection.

just thought some of you would love to see this:

1) the bottom of the trans case, see something missing :D

2) bottom of rear drum with everything attached that is not supposed to be

3) spring retainer, gnarled

4) retaining screw for cam still inside

5) what is left of the sprag housing boss

6) view of all rollers and springs jammed in between cam, hub, and rear drum

7) more toasted rollers

8) really toasted roller

9) view of rollers and springs when taken out

10) picture of cam all messed up

11) picture of rear drum, hub will not going any higher its gonna stay on there and go to scrap with the rear drum

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

squeakfinder

Now THERE'S SOMETHING to be recycled.  :D
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RD

Quote from: tan top on May 24, 2010, 02:14:17 AM
looks as if that could of grenadad   anytime :o

oh yeah.. i am going to ask the owner exactly what happened now.. just for curiosity's sake.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

FLG

RD

Quote from: FLG on May 24, 2010, 05:29:51 PM
Hmmm,

Incorrect burnout procedure??

:shruggy:

could have been, but the internals all look like it was a recent rebuild.  my bet is they didnt install the sprag and rollers correctly and caused them to move freely jamming up the cam and hub.

John_Kunkel

One of the rare occurances where a bolt-in sprag might have saved the case.

I had an almost identical one in my shop from a D-250 with a 360-2 engine. Driver was climbing a steep grade with a heavy load and allowed the trans to continually kickdown to 1st at WOT.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 24, 2010, 05:33:42 PM

One of the rare occurances where a bolt-in sprag might have saved the case.

I had an almost identical one in my shop from a D-250 with a 360-2 engine. Driver was climbing a steep grade with a heavy load and allowed the trans to continually kickdown to 1st at WOT.

it is a truck transmission, but was in a dart.. may have been the proverbial straw that broke the camels back eh?

derailed

Ouch, pretty mangled. Reminds me of the time a guy I know through his TA with a turbo 400 into neutral right after he went through the traps. The direct drum decided to join him in the car. Lucky he still has his feet.

Rolling_Thunder

So - i read this thread yesterday....    today my brothers Chevelle is making a weird noise...   I look under the car and the transmission case is severed between the main housing and the bellhousing portion...      WTF ?      car still runs and drives - no leaks or anything...     WTF ?   haha
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bakerhillpins

Looks like blood on the table with little bits of innards scattered everywhere.  ;D
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.