News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

keisler 5 speed swap need wiring help

Started by charger2fast4u, May 31, 2010, 01:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i swapped in a keisler 5 speed trans in my 73 challenger. now i don't have back up lights and power to the starter. i turn the key to the start position but will not try to start because of the neutral/park switch so i turn it to the key to accessory position and have to jump the starter to fire it up question is the new keisler trans has only 2 prongs on side of trans for neutral/ reverse? and stock wiring harness for old 727 has 3 prongs. how do i go about wiring this up to have reverse lights and starting the car with the key?

Rolling_Thunder

the Keisler trans should have three plugs -

Your problem is one of the three wires (brown i believe) should be grounded  (this is the ground for your starter relay and the car will now start even if it is in gear) - otherwise use a wire to your clutch pedal switch...              ---   you can also connect that wire to the neutral safety switch on the transmission...   and run another wire from that switch to a common ground.

The other two wires (black and white) should be connected to the two prongs on the reverse light switch on the transmission ---   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

charger2fast4u

the plug i seen only has 2 prongs on it they are threaded if i remember correctly. i went from a auto to a manual so i don't have a clutch pedal switch. will the reverse lights turn on if i have the key in the run position with car in reverse while shut off? i tried doing it this way by connecting 2 wires at a time but no luck with them comming on.

Rolling_Thunder

i'm not sure if the car needs to be running or not -  from your old connector it should be the outside wires (not the brown on in the middle) that need to be connected to that switch....    

Follow this diagram and you should be good - without a clutch switch I would wire the neutral safety to the transmission - this way the car will never start in gear...   

Try it with the car running to see if the lights work    :2thumbs:

charger2fast4u

so i would take the stock 3 wire plug and take the outer 2 wires off and hook them up to the 2 prong switch in front of the speedo cable? then take the middle wire in the stock harness and hook it up to one of the 2 wires that hook up by the shifter and run a ground wire to frame with the other wire?

Rolling_Thunder