News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 speed or not?

Started by rattlehead_74, June 03, 2010, 11:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rattlehead_74

hey guys ..i was looking the dodge over earlier and started inspecting the 4 speed hump ,,it kind of looks like it may have been installed by someone?or did the factory just kind of slap them things in there if they were optioned?..im not seeing any type of factory spot welds..and from the under side it looks like a crude cut out where the hump is located..so i guess what im asking ..without a fender tag to know for sure..is there any tell tale signs weather or not this is a true original four speed hump ???? there looks to be  a couple of cut off brackets further back on the drive line tunnel for the center counsole supports?? but that could be 4sp or auto i guess ???stumped    help   please....thanks 

elacruze

The factory was seriously challenged on the hump prep. On my original '68 R/T, the hump was welded on with welds about 6" apart and about 1" long, and looked like chicken poop. The hole underneath looked like it was cut by an 8 year old with a sawzall-they actually cut away a little bit of the edge of the crossmember at the rear of the hole, like they used it for a blade guide. I'd say that if it looks like a total hack job, it's more likely original.  :eek2:

On my current car, I cut the hole exactly as it was on the original. I laid it out with cardboard and measured carefully. It was painful to make it look so shaggy.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

rattlehead_74

Thank You  :cheers: elacruze    any brackets under the dash  to tell if there was a clutch assy.there?

Rolling_Thunder

there will be two holes drilled to the fender side of the master cylinder for a support bracket if it was a 4-speed car -   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip