News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine rebuild cost

Started by B5charger, May 21, 2010, 11:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5charger

Thinking of having my 71 318 rebuilt.  It's still running ok but is really tired (190K).  There's nothing majorly wrong with it.  Not burning oil, compression about 115-125 across the board.  I want to keep it original.  Just trying to get a feeling for how much roughly it would cost to have it "warmed up".  I live just north east of Toronto, so Canadian prices are in effect.  THX

71383bee

Well...you really need to define "warmed up". 

Is there a specific  hp/tq # your after?  A 1/4 mile time, etc.  It all heavily affects how much your going to spend. 

I redid a light mild build on a 318 a couple of years ago for a satellite.  I used a slightly bigger cam, reman heads from one of the local chains, and swapped on a 72 340 intake and rebuilt TQ.  It was a very nice little engine and had a bit more grunt.  All in all I think the total build was done for around $1,800 and a good part of that was parts (340 intake, air cleaner, and rebuilt TQ mainly).  It needed some machine work, but nothing to radical or out of the ordinary.  A small overbore and new pistons really.  I designed the car to run on 87 and it was fine.  No problems. 

We eventually swapped it back to the 2 bbl becasue the TQ did what TQ's do too often, but it still was a very reliable motor. 

I guess the biggest question for you would be whether or not you want to go to a 4 BBl.  To do it nice its pretty easy you just need some 340 or 360 parts and everything else bolts right in (intake, carb, and air cleaner).  I used a correct 4 Bbl throttle cable IIRC other than that nothing major was changed. 

I went from this...

To this...

71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

B5charger

Since I have a 904 with a 8 1/4 rear end, I'm not looking for anything radical.  About the most I'd have done is put on an Eddy intake and maybe 500-600cfm carb, since my original is a 2 barrel Carter.  A slightly hotter cam and then headers with dual exhaust in the future.  All I'm thinking about now though is the rough cost of having the engine 'mildly built'.

Challenger340

IMO
Depends where you go, typically you get what you are paying for ?

No such thing IMO, in the Engine Business, as a "something for nothing".

TIME, is MONEY, and good things happen for Those, both in terms of Quality & Final Product.

Find a GOOD Local Shop with an equally good reputation, thats been around awhile, and has references.

Only wimps wear Bowties !