News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help with a vega plug

Started by billssuperbird, May 17, 2010, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

what is the measurement from top to bottom and left to right. and what all has to be taking off. for it to fit. :shruggy: :popcrn: this is for a daytona clone.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: billssuperbird on May 17, 2010, 04:02:05 PM
what is the measurement from top to bottom and left to right. and what all has to be taking off. for it to fit. :shruggy: :popcrn: this is for a daytona clone.

hotrod98 would be the man to ask  :popcrn:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

pandamarie

on mine, I trimmed all the metal off the inside so I just had the rear window channel left and put it in and pushed it as high as it would go, that left about an inch and a half gap at the center which you will need to fill in with some of what you cut off from the bottom or make a piece.
The rear glass will never be the exact same as a real daytona as from what people have told me they all measure different too. If you do that you will have it about as close as you will get it without cutting into the sides of the sail panels for an extra 1/2" or so.

oldcarnut

billssuperbird

Charger-Bodie

hooked on the underside of the roof,mine measures 66 1/2 from edge to edge. measurments made by hooking the tape to the window opening in back and held tight to the windsield opening right in the middle.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BigBlockSam

hey

with the vega plug i notched both sail panels. then i laid the plug on them and pulled it down till it fell in place . you can tell when it fits good and looks correct .it will leave a gap in between the top of plug and the rear roof line.  i recommend that you convert your trunk lid first so you know where to put the top channel of the trunk opening .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

The downside of using the 3rd gen dutchman is that the steps are wider. That requires a little more lip on the deck lid in front of the closeout panel in order for the deck lid to align up with the steps and have the weatherstrip do it's job. I think Howie and I are going to re-do his since we've learned a few things since installing his plug.
After you've done a couple of them, it definitely becomes easier. The key is to not weld anything in place until everything is cut and laid in properly. Like Rene mentioned, when you slice those sail panels and put the plug in place you can move it around until it looks good and the transition off of the roof looks correct. Seems like there was approximately a two inch gap at the top. I bought an English wheel after installing Howie's and now I use it to change the contour of the bottom flap of the plug. That way you don't have to make those large cuts to get the flap to lay down properly. You still have to make a couple of cuts at the lower corners of the glass channel since that tends to buckle a little and you can't work that area with an English wheel.
Here's a pic of the plug setting in place showing you how the lower flap doesn't lay down . You have to reshape this area on an English wheel to make it fit properly.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

billssuperbird

what all do you take off from the in side of the vega plug.

BigBlockSam

i took nothing off the plug . i wanted to keep it as strong as possible so it don't rattle . just notch the sail panels  :cheers:

billssuperbird

hotrod98

This is a pic of Howie's before I installed it. I leave the bottom of the panel longer now and make a break that extends down into the trunk opening. You have to account for that extra thickness when altering the deck lid.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Almost forgot. I also leave the sides on now so that it lays on top of the sails. It's stronger than setting the plug down flush.

Charles Addams

billssuperbird

BigBlockSam

CornDogsCharger

Yes, Thanks for the help.... I'm following along too because I will need to do this before too long.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

BigBlockSam

XS29J

Have a Vega hatch for sale if anyone is looking for one. $250 OBO.  moparphilll@aol.com

Highbanked Hauler

Did you decide to go another rout or cancel the idea all together?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

XS29J

Have more than one stockpiled.  :2thumbs:heres another photo of one for sale