News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you stay unscathed & spot the car show idiots who always lean inside show

Started by model maker, May 21, 2010, 03:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

model maker

How do you stay unscathed & spot the car show idiots who always lean inside show cars with BIG cigarette ashes sloshing sodas, hot dogs dripping with a half gallon of mustard, and maybe the worst, that 5 pound key ring hooked on their front belt loop, :brickwall: :RantExplode: :popcrn: you know the type ! How do you handle such situations
Bert
MODEL MAKER

model maker

I don't blame you. I have watched as  a thoughtless 6 ft 5- 350 lb  idiot do stupid things to other peoples cars like dropping a cigarette onto the drivers seat of a 70 hemi challenger  and looking at it then looking around after it burned a hole in his seat , so he JUMPS in to get it and ended up knocking it still lit onto the carpet and trying to get it slides the seat back and forth  HARD in a panic  because he is too big and then walked or ran the best he could do forgetting the jumbo coke a cola on the roof that tipped over and ran down the rear window onto the trunk & in the trunk lid seams on a HOT 102 degree day.oh yeah, the challenger owner found a burn hole in his seat, carpet, his seat bracket & frame busted off the rail. & a big crack in the center console. he didn't  take his car to another show & shine / show for 2 years after that. I have seen worse things than that at other shows, like some moron putting a heavy baby stroller/carrier on the hood of a 69 Road Runner took the kid out and the wife changes the kid ON THE ROAD RUNNERS HOOD, and took the big heavy bag over her shoulder and with both hands and a grunt, heaves it up onto the hood as well. It must have been a little heavy for her because even with both arms & a grunt, had to scrape it up against the fender until she pushed in up onto the hood. I thought what  idiots ! why would they treat their car like that :o :eek2: guess what, yep, not their car ! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :RantExplode:
MODEL MAKER

Brock Lee

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 21, 2010, 04:22:59 PM
I stay home !

+ 1 MILLION!

I can't tell you how many fat chicks I have seen trying to sit on the exterior of the car and pose for cell phone pics. One time I allowed a very thin woman lean against the hood for pics (she couldn't have weighed more than 90 pounds). She hopped up after a couple pics and before I could say a word she was "adjusting" her pose. In actuality, she was grinding that spot in the very center front of the hood where the body line creates a bulge. I was speachless.

ChgrSteve67

Keep your windows rolled half way up.

Some people keep thier windows all of the way up.

elacruze

Quote from: model maker on May 21, 2010, 03:49:49 PM
How do you handle such situations
Bert

<-----------See Avatar

Seriously, I'm a big show newcomer. My car isn't finished yet, and I never had to worry about such stupidity at any of the shows/cruises I took it to, because the paint and interior didn't warrant worry at the time. We'll see how it goes this summer.

That said, I just can't imagine moving more than about 20 feet from my finished car without rolling up the windows and locking the doors.

As far as people leaning/touching/scratching, I have no problem with confrontation. I have no problem confronting people who are doing stupid things to your car parked next to me, either. If a gentle word doesn't prevent stupidity, or if gross stupidity happens too fast to prevent, I become a teacher of lessons. I frighten children and women into crying. I confront the angry fathers and husbands and stand my ground. Although I've had the security/police wander over, I've never had a physical fight or arrest because of my actions at a show, either. Everybody gets the message, and I believe everyone is better off for it.
I'm not a prima donna, either-if some lady wants photos on my fender, I'll grant permission provided she isn't wearing anything that can scratch. I understand and acknowledge that my car is not your car, and my purpose is not your purpose; my car will become dull and scratched sooner or later, that is the expectation for a daily driver.
Please don't assume I'm always looking for a fight, either-I'm very accommodating with my vehicles, to those who appreciate them. I just don't have much gray area when crossing the line.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

jeryst

First of all, never go alone. Take someone with you, so that
one of you can always stay with the car if the other needs to go do something.

Also, if someone starts to get a little too close to the car, or is starting to lean into the
window with a cigarette or drink, say "excuse me" and then quickly step up to them
and ask them if they have any questions. You would be surprised at how
effective that is. It breaks their little "I'm stupidly in my own little world
and not thinking about anything else" routine. When there are two of you, you can each
cover a different side at the some time.

One thing that I think the sponsors of EVERY car show should do, is print up a
set of rules for car show visitors, and point out very plainly that any visitor who does
not adhere to the rules, or damages any car, will be arrested and sued for damages.
The rules should include...
    1. Do not touch the vehicles
    2. Do not lean into vehicles if you are holding a cigarette, drink, etc.
    3. Do not lean into a vehicle if you have studs, zippers, chains, or anything
        hard/metal on your clothing.
    4, Whatever else

ANyone else have any other suggestions to put in the rules?

bobs66440

Quote from: model maker on May 21, 2010, 09:00:06 PM
why would they treat their car like that :o :eek2: guess what, yep, not their car ! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :RantExplode:

OMG! Are you friggin' kidding me!?! That's insane!

69CoronetRT

Quote from: jeryst on May 22, 2010, 01:12:57 PM

ANyone else have any other suggestions to put in the rules?

5. Leave the dogs and babies at home. They don't want to be there.
6. Stupid questions and comments will be fined.
7. Allow only young blondes and brunettes—all between sixteen and nineteen and a half—that spend a lonely life of bathing, dressing, undressing, and making exciting underwear, into the show.   ;)
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Finn

Quote from: Brock Lee on May 21, 2010, 10:23:39 PM
In actuality, she was grinding that spot in the very center front of the hood where the body line creates a bulge. I was speachless.
I'm failing to see the problem here...:shruggy:

:D
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

A383Wing

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 22, 2010, 03:40:50 PM

5. Leave the dogs and babies at home. They don't want to be there.

This should be #1, dogs don't belong at car shows....

histoy

I agree that dogs don't belong at car shows.  We had one jump up on our driver's door and scratch the paint.  Fortunately I was able to buff it out.

I also cringe when I see powered wheelchairs or scooters.  We had one come down next to our car, and try to do a 180 degree turn.  Scratched the front fender down to bare metal in 2 places.  I had to fix that one because the old guy had no money.   

Two years ago we were at a Mopar show and a vendor was selling a motor bike.  He let a young kid, who had never driven one, take his for a test drive right thru the show cars.  The kid hit the throttle, panicked, and ran into our front fender and driver's door.  The vendor took off, the kid's Dad said he would pay for the repair, but wouldn't give us a dime after we got the repair bill.   Fortunately our insurance company covered the $2000 cost of the repair, then sued his insurance company. 

FLG

Man some of these stories frighten me.

Whenever I go to a show I leave my big key ring in my car and take only the car keys in my pocket. I never understood people carrying all these keys around shows...all ya need is the keys to your car.

I don't understand people who lean or touch cars? I never lean on anything to look under the hood. And if it arises that I need to see something up close (maybe to compare it to my car) ill always ask before hand. Why do you need to touch a car? I hate the people that run there hand across a fender and go "ooo smooth" yea your too dumb to realize that not only did your greased up hands mark up the paint, but I guarantee you that dust and dirt your just wipped off scratched that spot as well (so noticable on black).

And than the people who lean..I can't name the times I've had to walk over and give a stern...get the hell off the car remark.

Todd Wilson

With the Chargers I tell em to get the F back.   The old antique truck I dont worry about. Its all original and solid. Theres a few old timers that come over to lean or sit on a running board but its not a big deal with the old truck. Its actually for friendly at shows then the cars are. The young punk crowds just thumb their noses and walk on.

Todd

mystarcollectorcar.com

I touched on this very subject in one of the most discussed topics we ever had...here's some of it "And the worst thing is that these clueless morons are often offended by the repercussions that arise from this incredibly arrogant disregard for somebody else's property. Throw kids into the mix and you have the potential for a fatality.

No parent likes to admit that they flunked the mandatory "Make sure your kid doesn't climb on a $100,000 Car" course-because admitting to that failure would be far worse than actually taking the lead on a 7-year-old kid in the common sense department.

So instead of doing the right thing they'll choose the wrong thing-they'll start ripping on the poor guy (the victim) who invested a decade of his life and lots more money than he planned on a collector car.

He's going to lean on your car? 

That might be best-case scenario."

It's a subject that has to be addressed every season because clearly the message isn't being received. 

model maker

With the car show season fast approaching, I knew this would be a great topic ! Someone should make signs to post next to cars that will explaint the common sense & common courtesey that visitors need to adhere to. Along with that, there should also be pointed out the legal ramifications should some ZERO walk up & cause damage to a car.
Bert
MODEL MAKER

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: model maker on May 23, 2010, 02:02:42 AM
there should also be pointed out the legal ramifications should some ZERO walk up & cause damage to a car.
Bert

If someone intentionally damaged your car (good luck proving it) you can call the police and file vandalism charges against them.  Most times the person is long gone unless someone else sees them and grabs a hold of them.   Also where I live the police would not even come to deal with a report of vandalism they will only take a complaint over the phone.

Ultimately all you can do is get the persons personal information, document the incident (get as many witnesses statements as you can) and go after them in small claims court.

Or have the proper insurance and turn the incident in as a claim.

Personally I like the option of getting all of the other car owners together and beat the living crap out of them.
"Mob Justice"

RallyeMike

Over the years I have found out that I like semi-beaters that I can drive like a maniac and not have to worry about those kind of things. The only really nice car I have sat in the garage with a cover all the time, so I just recently sold it and someone else can worry about it. Now I'll be eating the hot dogs, smoking a cigarette, and sitting on my fenders - just like it supposed to be.

Since that's not probably not practical advice for you, I would say that the best thing is to pick your shows wisely. The one down at the public fair should be avoided. The club show out in the sticks is safer.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Highbanked Hauler

Most definitely. I've only been to ONE cruise in type car show with the 500 since it was finished and won't go again. As far as Mopar meets I've not had a problem.  My wife says it is because  of my
  (sweet) personality, ya think :icon_smile_angry:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

jeryst

Quote from: RallyeMike on May 23, 2010, 09:22:44 AM
Over the years I have found out that I like semi-beaters that I can drive like a maniac and not have to worry about those kind of things. The only really nice car I have sat in the garage with a cover all the time, so I just recently sold it and someone else can worry about it. Now I'll be eating the hot dogs, smoking a cigarette, and sitting on my fenders - just like it supposed to be.

Since that's not probably not practical advice for you, I would say that the best thing is to pick your shows wisely. The one down at the public fair should be avoided. The club show out in the sticks is safer.

I totally agree. I now just buy survivors/drivers, and use them as they were intended. With a decent paint job, they still turn heads when going down the road, and I dont worry about them one bit. As far as the $5.00 show trophies go, I can buy as many as I want without all the headaches - lol.

mystarcollectorcar.com

Quote from: model maker on May 23, 2010, 02:02:42 AM
With the car show season fast approaching, I knew this would be a great topic ! Someone should make signs to post next to cars that will explaint the common sense & common courtesey that visitors need to adhere to. Along with that, there should also be pointed out the legal ramifications should some ZERO walk up & cause damage to a car.
Bert

We post these every year -it's well received
show and shine commandments

1. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH MY VEHICLE... I WILL EXTEND THE SAME COURTESY TO YOUR WIFE
   2. MY VEHICLE IS NOT A PLAYGROUND FOR YOUR KIDS
   3. MY TIRES ARE NOT A HALFWAY POINT FOR YOUR DOG'S TERRITORY AND MY PAINT ISN'T A SCRATCH TEST-PAD FOR PURSES,BUCKLES AND CAMERAS
   4. DON'T POP THE HOOD OR OPEN THE DOORS WITHOUT PERMISSION AND I WON'T WALK IN NAKED WITHOUT KNOCKING AT YOUR HOUSE
   5. WE LOVE OUR RIDES LIKE WE LOVE OUR KIDS... CRITICISM IS TAKEN VERY PERSONALLY

wayfast1500

I went to a show tonight, a father wasnt paying attention to his daughter who had a spiked belt.  While he had his head turned she was leaning on my buddies car, his wife nicely went up to her and asked if she would like her daddy to buy the car for her.  That got the dads attention and he told her to stay off the cars. 

AKcharger

Quote from: RallyeMike on May 23, 2010, 09:22:44 AM
...I would say that the best thing is to pick your shows wisely. The one down at the public fair should be avoided. The club show out in the sticks is safer.

:yesnod: Completly agree.  I've been to a bunch of shows and a purpose car shows, like Carlile/NATS or other organized car club meets are 95% safe, the people that go to them are "car people" and generally respectful. Problems arise from combo events, like a fair/car show or rap concert/car show. That's where you get people who say "lookie thar, one of them thar Dukes cars"

A few things I do:
1) Lock EVERYTHING that isn't bolted down in the trunk
2) Put up my show board at the corner fender to make people only look at engine front front, avoids people leaning on fender
3) STAY WITH CAR! If I do go explore I'll ask neibors to look after it (ALWAYS make friends with people next to you  ;))

I really can't think of any bad things for me, just be prepared and alert to prevent bad stuff from happening

Bobs69

Quote from: model maker on May 21, 2010, 09:00:06 PM
I don't blame you. I have watched as  a thoughtless 6 ft 5- 350 lb  idiot do stupid things to other peoples cars like dropping a cigarette onto the drivers seat of a 70 hemi challenger  and looking at it then looking around after it burned a hole in his seat , so he JUMPS in to get it and ended up knocking it still lit onto the carpet and trying to get it slides the seat back and forth  HARD in a panic  because he is too big and then walked or ran the best he could do forgetting the jumbo coke a cola on the roof that tipped over and ran down the rear window onto the trunk & in the trunk lid seams on a HOT 102 degree day.oh yeah, the challenger owner found a burn hole in his seat, carpet, his seat bracket & frame busted off the rail. & a big crack in the center console. he didn't  take his car to another show & shine / show for 2 years after that. I have seen worse things than that at other shows, like some moron putting a heavy baby stroller/carrier on the hood of a 69 Road Runner took the kid out and the wife changes the kid ON THE ROAD RUNNERS HOOD, and took the big heavy bag over her shoulder and with both hands and a grunt, heaves it up onto the hood as well. It must have been a little heavy for her because even with both arms & a grunt, had to scrape it up against the fender until she pushed in up onto the hood. I thought what  idiots ! why would they treat their car like that :o :eek2: guess what, yep, not their car ! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :RantExplode:

Did you say anything to any of these idiots?  I realize it's hard sometimes, I think I'm the type that doesn't know how to handle these situations without angering myself or coming across too strong and making myself look like I'm exagerating the situation.

We need to look out for each other!