News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 Link vrs 3 Link suspension?

Started by Wicked72, May 19, 2010, 08:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

I am trying to figure out what I want to do with the rear end of my 3rd gen. I want some pro touring handling but I only have exp with 4 link suspension setups. I have seen some 4 links that handle amazing but I want to explore my options :scratchchin:. Would love some input!!  :yesnod:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

HPP

IMO, the only reason to go to a link suspension with coil overs would be for a competitive environment where you need to be able to vary height, rates,and geometry very quickly for optimal performance. Based on what I've read on a number of web boards, 99% of street coil over users never adjust them after the initial install and set up. So you end up with a very fancy, very expensive, very capable system that doesn't necessarily handle any better than leaf springs. It also seems that the great benefit to handling that comes from coil over conversions for the average buyer is that they now have a more experienced suspension person specifiying wheel rates that create the better match to the vehicle. If they apply those same rates to the OEM bar/leaf suspension, they would realize 95% of the same performance as coil overs. BUT, that is just my stinky opinion.

To your question directly, 3 link allows a larger range of axle articulation than an equivilent four link. It also has less range of adjustment, but if you've dealt with 4 links, then you know they typically work best within a narrow range once installed. 3 link has less parts, so it is somewhat lighter than a 4 line. # link takes of less space thana 4 link. 3 link can be built with the third link as a torque spring to reduce shock loading the tires. Ther are probably a few more disticntions that slip my mind right now.

Wicked72

Thanks for the tech info! Every car that I have dealt with in high hp apps has had a 4 link or they wanted it to be installed. I used to build engines for Pisarik Performance in VA so I never really got into the suspension aspect. I am build my engine close to 700hp how well would leafs hold up?

HPP

From a handling perspective, they will work fine. From a drag launch perspective, they will still wrap up without some sort of assistance. But will also likely need to get into some custom rate springs which will require some weight distribution analysis on you particular car to get in a range that will work for you.

NorwayCharger

At a great price, i think this is one of the best system out there for mopars.
http://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16175&cat=263&page=1
I got a more comfortable ride, and better handling with that system..
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Wicked72

The tires I will be running wont be slicks anyway so I wont be getting that kind of grip anyway. Obviously as much as possible for street tires. I want to go as wide as possible. how wide can I go without hitting the springs? Ill cut the wheel wells out.

suntech

First of all, going with either a 3 or 4 link will be a HUGE upgrade from your original leafs.  :2thumbs:
3 link is nice in the way that you can allow more body roll without running in to binding trouble. Downside is that under hard launches, you have just one point that hold your axle from turning backwards.

4 link is a overall stronger setup, with the extra upper link arm, but more sensitive for binding when body rolls. This can be setted up in a variety of configurations, like the K link (the upper linkarms either in or out towards the body) This eleminates the use of a panhard bar or watts link, to hold the axle sideways. The parallell bar setup will need this. The upside with wattslink over panhardbar is that it will hold the axle in center of car (sideways) under entire suspention travel, and that will allow you to go closer to wheel wells with wheels.
All of them can be used with either slipper leafs, spiral springs or coilovers.

All systems has a bunch of ways to be setted up, to optimize launch grip, comfort etc!

What i am going with, is 4 link/ wattslink, and coilovers  ;)

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!