News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 build looking for some input

Started by nineneon, May 15, 2010, 10:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nineneon

Hey guys iv got a 71 charger that iv got some crazy goals for and was looking for some input on internals. i have some fairly hefty goals id like to shoot for and would like the boards advise, heres a link to what i have in mind
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/bigblock/0609em_mopar_engine/index.html
i live in utah near bonnevile and want to run the track out there. i was thinking that kit with a liquid to air intercooler, edelbrock heads, edelbrock pro-flo2 efi conversion, msd ignition, undecided on headers but my question is what i want is 8.5-1 compression id like to know if any one can point me in the right direction for finding forged piston and rods for my bottom end and input on cams that will perform well with boost. and any other suggestions or ideas you all have. im currently working a contracting job in afghanistan wrenching on AH-64D's and finally have some coin to play with the charger  :2thumbs: id like to see how wild i can get this 440 and would like to shoot for 800-1k horse, gotta have goals right ;D

thanks in advance
Boz

Challenger340

Ain't hard makin 8-9-1000 hp out of a 440 Inch Mopar Engine, especially when "just adding Boost" !
However,
Making it LIVE there "over time" is the problem ?

Some Thoughts;
* Get a good Aftermarket Block.(World Products/Mopar/Indy Cylinder Head)
All "stock" 440 Blocks are 2 bolt Mains, converting to 4 Bolt can be done, so can varies "Girdle" systems, and combinations of both are also out there ?
But,
you're still basically putting a "band-Aid" on a stock Block ?

* 440source rotating Assembly Kit, choose the C.R. you want, but "Forged" everything.(it'll work fine) see here http://www.440source.com/strokerkits.htm
* Have a second Keyway cut in the Crank snout, and a Matching groove internal on the Balancer so you can run 2 Keyways.

I'm gonna pass on Camshafts for now, until you know the Heads and Flow for sure ?
Suffice to say, the Biggest difference in "Boost" type Cams, is a substantially widened Lobe Seperation Angle, say 114 or thereabouts depending on "how Big", or "how much" of many variables are known ?

Stay safe over there !
Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Cooter

Yep, unfortunately, the stock block 440 won't handle that kinda power for long..Unlike those RB22DDTT's and the Infamous 1000HP 2JZ's with stock internals...

A buddy here has a 331 SB F*RD in a mustank that is puttin' down 1200 HP at the wheels..Yes, he built it himself and owes no money on it..BUT! at a cost of $80K....

The stock blocks just weren't even concieved to make anything more than about 500-650 HP MAX (And that's pushin' it)...To put that kinda power down Reliably, as stated above, you will need to spend some bucks...However, If scattering parts and pieces all down the track/street is your thing, then by all means, stuff around 25 PSI through a stock block 440, and it will run like hell for about 4 passes....I too watch those YouTube video's of the "Little" 231 Buick V6 puttin' 1400 HP at the rear tires on the dyno, but I also know what it takes to make that kinda power more than once....I just prefer to get about 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a backyard for my $80K...(yes, I count mistakes(Wrong cam, wrong pistons, rods, cranks, etc.) as money spent too)..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

nineneon

ah thanks i appreciate the input guys ill look into that link any thing else im always open for suggestions

BSB67

No big deal, its just a matter of money, but no where near $80K.  You'll want to use an aftermarket block like a K-P440.  For your goal, it's cheap.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

nineneon

wow indy builds some sweet engines for great deals
http://www.indyheads.com/images/price4.pdf
930 horse for $21.4k not a bad price at all!!!
or shell out 34k for 1210 horse thats probably cheaper than i can build my boosted project for.

Cooter

Of course, you will have to factor in the fact that a naturally aspirated 1000 HP engine isn't the same as a Boosted 1000 HP Engine...The Boosted one will make that power when needed.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

skip68

Don't forget about building the car (tranny-rear end) to handle that kind of power.   Good luck and keep us posted.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

nineneon

thanks for chiming in your car is gorgeous by the way. ya i planned on doing a high stall converter and a reprogamable shift kit and a nice aluminum external oil cooler for the trans any other thoughts on that? and i havent gotten to far into the rear end other than i had thought id do something along the lines of a locker or limited slip and a 4 link rear end, it has a 8-3/4 pumpkin in it right now i havent put much thought into gear sets and am also open for thoughts and ideas in that area.

Ghoste

1000 horse into an 8.75 and a (by all indications) stock 727 with not much more than a shift kit and higher stall converter is going to be a short cut to serious drivetrain repairs even with an external cooler.
You need to spend some money with one of the quality race Torqueflite rebuilders and look into a Dana 60 setup.

FLG

Not to mention you will need a cage and frame connectors to deal with the torque. Also do you plan on driving this on the street? Because id imagine it would have horrible road manors and not be a very streetable ride.

nineneon

no this will be a weekend track car and just a fun all around project ill look into the built torqueflights too thanks. ya i didnt go into the whole paln in the build but the cage is a must for bonneville along with a chute several safety measures are required for the track. 1000 horse would be fun but ill be happy with over 800.

nineneon

lol ok im going to need some direction on the axle, what is the snubber provision and what is it good for?