News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So I am trying to build a 484 stroker have a problem now?

Started by TXcharger70, May 17, 2010, 10:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

Ok i have a buddy of mine that is trying to building me a 383 (484) stroker using:
383 block .40 over
4.15 crank
6.760 h beam rods .990 pin
10:1 compression is what we were looking for
Stealth heads

My problem is that we cant find any pistions that will fit this setup cause my block is bored .40 over. All we can find is .30 over or .60. Now by chance anybody know where i can find pistons besides stock to fit this set up? Cause if not i have to get a 4.25 crank to make it a 496 stroker  send the other crank back if i can and bore it to .60 over. Any thoughts

General_01

Order custom pistons or have an engine shop do it for you. I had the same dilemma, but I knew it from the start. 440Source said they could order me a set of 40 over pistons, but it would probably take 1-2 months to get them. I opted from the get-go to do the 496 and not wait. If you are not in a huge hurry, keep the block 40 over and order the pistons.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

TXcharger70

OK so i opted to go with the 496 stroker and sent back the 4.15 for the 4.25 crank but i have to pay for shipping twice. I hate learning from mistakes especially learning by spending more money. I also ordered the my pistons, rings and rods from 440source. can't wait

TexasStroker

If you are anywhere near Amarillo and would like this built by some true Mopar people and dyno tested shoot me a PM and I will be more than willing to help you out!  If not, good luck with the build...keep us all posted on the progress!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

TXcharger70

Thanks for the offer I am down in San Anton the guy who is helping me out is a friend who is a crazy mopar nut not that i am not but he knows his S%@t so hopefully everything turns out ok. Thank you for the hospitality. Still need to find the right cam to run with this set up

General_01

496 stroker
4-speed

TXcharger70

Funny thing i was actually looking at your build today. How do you like your build so far? How do you like your cam you picked out? I also have 3:55 gears what was you rpm on the hwy worried about my rpm at hwy speeds

General_01

I like the cam.

With the 14" tires on the car, I am running about 3500 at "about" 65mph. My speedo does not have the correct gear because I was running 15" tires before.

I have a nice idle and the vacuum is good for the power brakes.

The cam is a solid cam, not a hydraulic, so I will have to adjust the valve lash about once a year I am sure.

I definately love the torque. :2thumbs: I am planning to have the engine tuned on a chassis dyno this year, so I am sure it will be even better. :yesnod:
496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

The Comp XS290S is a nice 500in "street/mild strip" cam and has nice manners. I've recommended it to a few members here with positive results/feedback.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TXcharger70

what oil pan are u guys running with a stroker? are any of the 7qt pans on ebay any good i am also worried about clearance or is not a big issue with some of these pans

General_01

I used the 6 quart hemi oil pan with 3/8 pick up and a stroker windage tray from Mancini Racing.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
496 stroker
4-speed

TXcharger70

How much of a difference will there be between a 6qt and 7qt oil pan? Clearance? My charger is stock height with 15in wheels. Is there really any more benefits of either or beside have an extra qt?

General_01

Clearance would be the issue. 6 quarts is plenty. Ron is the engine guy here. He told me to use it, so i did. :icon_smile_big:
496 stroker
4-speed