News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anti-mosquito trick!

Started by b5blue, May 16, 2010, 11:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Mosquito.....I hate you! Here is a sure fire way to drop them from the air! Take any sprayer top from like 409 cleaner and screw it on the top of a big bottle of rubbing alcohol. (It was one of my "single dad with 3 kids" cheap clean/sanitizer inventions) Blast at them with mist in the air when ever they start that damn tracking buzz around you or gather under the hood or wheel well of your mighty Mopar! It will knock them out of the air and leave them kicking around on the ground in a very satisfying "death dance". A follow up blast or boot stomp will seal their doom but very few have recovered from the air shot alone. I've dropped 4-5 with one well placed blast. After trying many things like "OFF!" and burning coils to high tech tennis racket looking zappers (Harbor Freight, 3.00 on sale) This is hands down the cheapest and best defense, I keep them around and strategically placed in my home and carport. It even helps cool you off if one lands on you and you shoot it instead of risking a missed swat at one. Please feel free to add any tricks or test results you have as living in Florida they were my nemesis until I just happened to try this one day in desperation trying to finish repairing my car with them buzzing all around and biting the heck out of me.

bobs66440

Thanks for the tip. I HATE mosquitos!!!  :flame:

RD

ingest match heads.  they hate the sulfur in your system.. but then again, so does everyone who has to smell you :D

on topic though.. i will try that this summer, thanks for the tip.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

cpthowdy1369

Quote from: RD on May 16, 2010, 11:47:57 AM
ingest match heads.  they hate the sulfur in your system

I tried this in the jungle in Panama and it does work.  I ate the match heads off of the matchbook style not the wooden box o'matches style.
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

jeryst

Alcohol is flammable. Dont do this while smoking or around any open flames,
or you may be dancing around in a big ball of fire.

b5blue

Yup and don't spray your eyes ether! Kinda figured this was all a given....... :o

Tilar

Quote from: b5blue on May 16, 2010, 12:20:42 PM
Yup and don't spray your eyes ether! Kinda figured this was all a given....... :o
Yeah well you know what they say, Make something fool proof and someone comes along with a better fool.  :rofl:

That is a pretty good idea. Cheap too.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

squeakfinder

The most dangerous animal on the planet. A little bit of oil in standing water helps kill off larva.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

MoparManJim

Okay, I have to ask after hearing so much about these so called larva things. If you get one, what is it like to have one? What is bad about them? I'm only asking because I don't fully understand much about them and want to learn about what they are and what they do to you. Like they say, if you don't know something or understand something, ask about it as that is the only way you will learn about it. 

Oh yea, also thanks for the tip about how to kill the mosquito's. I have a issue with them in the summer times when I try to work out side. 

b5blue

Don't panic! YOU can't get a larva IN you! The skeeters lay eggs in water anywhere, the more stagnant the better, the eggs hatch into what look like tiny worms that wiggle around moving up and down to get a breath of air then sink back down under the water to stay safe. Any oil on top of the water blocks there getting air and they die. They tried vegetable oil down here in ditches but unless the coverage is darn near 100% some still get air and live, useless in moving water. Bleach will kill them if you can't empty out whatever is holding the water.

tricky lugnuts

Agreed with B5 blue: larva is just a phase in the mosquito's life, when it lives in water, like a dragonfly larva or a mayfly larva, or caddisfly larva. Fish like to eat them...

But depending on where you're traveling, mosquitoes can get plenty of nasty things besides the usual malaria, yellow fever, and dengue living inside of you, things such as filarial worms, little nematodes that can cause things like elephantiasis (the Elephant Man). The worms gather in your fat cells and on your organs, releasing at night, when mosquitoes are most actively feeding, to enter your blood stream so they can be picked up by biting mosquitoes and transferred to another unfortunate host...

I absolutely hate mosquitoes. I also hate ticks. I can never decide which I hate more.

Never heard about the alcohol, but makes sense. My dad collects moths and butterflies and has always used a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to put them down quickly to keep them from injuring their wings.

nh_mopar_fan

Adding oil is a bad idea. Even a little oil.

Bti (Bacillus thuringienis israelensis) is a much safer and natural solution if you have small ponds or standing water on your property.

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/pick-mosquitodunk1.htm

This stuff works.

chargergirl

We live in Florida and have to deal with pesky, voracious mosquitos. They hunt you down when you are in the shop like you are the only food in 100 miles. We found a wonderful fairly inexpensive and VERY effective product. There are hand size units and little lantern units. The lanterns burn more effectively. Thermacell puts them out and if you go outside, light one unit, hang in house for about 10 minutes you will have no mosquitos inside the garage or within a 5 foot parameter around the garage.  The refills are reasonably priced and I pick them up here at Winn Dixie. There isn't an odor and even my chemist uncle was ok with the ingredients and impressed with how they worked and they live in Connecticut. Therma Cell Mosquito Repellent...has a little gas cartridge and a strip that goes over the "flame". Works every time.
Trust your Woobie!

jeryst

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on May 16, 2010, 07:02:00 PM

Bti (Bacillus thuringienis israelensis) is a much safer and natural solution if you have small ponds or standing water on your property.

This stuff works.

I have seen these advertised occasionally, but never knew if they worked or not. Are they sold in any common stores?

bull

Hold a lit match out in front of the spray bottle when you spray it and their death will be instant. Maybe yours too but hey,...

jeryst

Quote from: chargergirl on May 16, 2010, 07:21:58 PM
We live in Florida and have to deal with pesky, voracious mosquitos. They hunt you down when you are in the shop like you are the only food in 100 miles. We found a wonderful fairly inexpensive and VERY effective product. There are hand size units and little lantern units. The lanterns burn more effectively. Thermacell puts them out and if you go outside, light one unit, hang in house for about 10 minutes you will have no mosquitos inside the garage or within a 5 foot parameter around the garage.  The refills are reasonably priced and I pick them up here at Winn Dixie. There isn't an odor and even my chemist uncle was ok with the ingredients and impressed with how they worked and they live in Connecticut. Therma Cell Mosquito Repellent...has a little gas cartridge and a strip that goes over the "flame". Works every time.

Would these work in an outside area, like a deck, or does the wind screw them up?
I read about them, and they say they put out a cloud of repellant. Is the repellent harmful to humans in any way since you are in the middle of the cloud?
Is carrying around a lit butane appliance safe?

I'm looking for something for the kids.
Does anyone know of any natural, harmless mosquito/tick repellents?
I dont think I could get them to eat match heads, although my wifes cooking... lol

Old Moparz

Quote from: b5blue on May 16, 2010, 11:08:51 AM

Take any sprayer top from like 409 cleaner and screw it on the top of a big bottle of rubbing alcohol. 

Quote from: RD on May 16, 2010, 11:47:57 AM

ingest match heads.  they hate the sulfur in your system.. but then again, so does everyone who has to smell you :D

Rubbing alcohol & matches.

Sounds like a recipe for a very funny youtube video.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: jeryst on May 17, 2010, 01:04:12 AM
Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on May 16, 2010, 07:02:00 PM

This stuff works.

I have seen these advertised occasionally, but never knew if they worked or not. Are they sold in any common stores?

I bought mine at a local hardware store bac when I needed them. I swear I think I saw them at Lowes.

Yup.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92460-1643-MODU1_0_?productId=3047384&Ntt=mosquito&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=mosquito

chargergirl

Would these work in an outside area, like a deck, or does the wind screw them up?
I read about them, and they say they put out a cloud of repellant. Is the repellent harmful to humans in any way since you are in the middle of the cloud?

I dont think I could get them to eat match heads, although my wifes cooking... lol
[/quote]
You don't have to carry it around just light them in different spots in the yard. We had one small hand sized one on the porch in CT and you couldn't smell it. There is no open flame and there was always a breeze. Never noticed a cloud type reaction in one...like you would with Off coils that you light. Just set them out in the yard...the lanterns you could hang from yard hooks and make it pretty and practical. They work better than any punk or candle I have ever had. Since you only have to set them out to have effect no one has to travel with them.
Trust your Woobie!

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: chargergirl on May 17, 2010, 01:49:50 PM

You don't have to carry it around just light them in different spots in the yard. We had one small hand sized one on the porch in CT and you couldn't smell it. There is no open flame and there was always a breeze. Never noticed a cloud type reaction in one...like you would with Off coils that you light. Just set them out in the yard...the lanterns you could hang from yard hooks and make it pretty and practical. They work better than any punk or candle I have ever had. Since you only have to set them out to have effect no one has to travel with them.
[/quote]

They do have a holster for them if you need to carry them around - say on a hike or hunting or whatever.

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/

I might try these out this year. I have a zapper for the backyard, but nothing for when I'm in the garage.

PA Dodger

Might sound like BS but I found everytime I eat a white pizza with extra garlic, mosquitos won't come anywhere near me. Otherwise I'm eaten alive.
Works on vampires too. :smilielol:
And the beer that goes with the pizza is an added bonus. :cheers:
I don't know but maybe garlic pills might work the same?

Dan
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

loudmouthaussie

we camp out for work in northern australia sometimes where dangue fever, ross river fever and malaria are all present so its a bit of a concern.

someone may have already posted it (didnt read em all) but you can get a device that plugs into your car and runs off 12 volt that scares em off pretty good. you just place a pellet in there and it lasts all night  :2thumbs:

good for camping  :cheers:
1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

jeryst

Quote from: PA Dodger on May 17, 2010, 10:37:38 PM
Might sound like BS but I found everytime I eat a white pizza with extra garlic, mosquitos won't come anywhere near me. Otherwise I'm eaten alive.
Works on vampires too. :smilielol:
And the beer that goes with the pizza is an added bonus. :cheers:
I don't know but maybe garlic pills might work the same?

Dan

Mosquitoes ARE vampires, silly. Thats why the garlic works!

You can also drive toothpicks through their hearts, but it requires a lot of manual dexterity, and a very small hammer.

bobs66440

Quote from: jeryst on May 17, 2010, 11:57:34 PM

You can also drive toothpicks through their hearts, but it requires a lot of manual dexterity, and a very small hammer.

:smilielol: Picturing that  :lol:

chargergirl

Quote from: bobs66440 on May 18, 2010, 12:49:08 PM
Quote from: jeryst on May 17, 2010, 11:57:34 PM

:smilielol: Picturing that  :lol:
That's great!!! :smilielol: :smilielol: Maybe the white pizza thing works cause my man won't get near one and I love them!
Trust your Woobie!