News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone near Royal Oak MI. that could look at a car for me?

Started by bakerhillpins, May 14, 2010, 11:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

I am interested in a Charger in Royal Oak MI, north of Detroit and was wondering if I might be able to get someone to look at it for me for some compensation?

I have been actively exchanging emails trying to get as much information about the car as I can (limited text and no pics) so its not a definite thing yet. I figured rather than try to rush this at the end I would see if anyone might be able to help me.

Thanks
Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bakerhillpins

Paul

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure I want to just PM these guys blind, they don't know me from uncle. Personally, I wouldn't care but I don't like to assume that everyone operates like me.

Bryan
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

bakerhillpins

Crud, I don't think this guy is eager to sell over the net. He asked for me to call him Monday to answer the rest of my questions. Apparently he has a guy stopping by on Sunday to look at the car.   :brickwall:

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

hemi-hampton

I'm only about 3 miles from Royal Oak. Woodward road & dream cruise runs right threw Royal oak starting at 8 mile rd. & Woodward. I'm 3 miles east of that at 8 mile rd. & Ryan rd. I could check it out for you. What State are you from? LEON.

TUFCAT

I could also look at it (with Leon of course). He's a friend and an excellent resource. Between the two of us (putting our heads together), surely we won't miss much. 

TUFCAT

Quote from: TUFCAT on May 14, 2010, 06:48:11 PM
I could also look at it -with Leon of course. He's a friend and an excellent resource. Between the two of us putting our heads together, surely we won't miss much.  

I met (4CRUZIN) at Bo's Blarney Stone Bar (BMOPARMOFO) on Woodward who's been kind enough to host our motley crew during the Woodward Dream Cruise season the past few years  :icon_smile_big: .  Also don't forget about (SPIKE) who owns a 1970 Charger R/T, and like you said (69*F5*SE) - who lives pretty close on the east side near Woodward and the Royal Oak area :icon_smile_wink: . My good buddy (WINGR) lives in Livonia with a beautiful 1969 Charger 500! :drool5: For later 1971-72 models, my buddy Bob is one the best all around guys for 3rd gen cars. :cheers: (1972RALLYE)

I apologize if I missed any of the other metro Detroit members who deserved to be mentioned, but please (if I forgot anyone) please add yourselves to this post if you can help another brother in his search.  :2thumbs:

Best of luck, TUFFY.  :coolgleamA:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 14, 2010, 05:35:11 PM
I'm only about 3 miles from Royal Oak. Woodward road & dream cruise runs right threw Royal oak starting at 8 mile rd. & Woodward. I'm 3 miles east of that at 8 mile rd. & Ryan rd. I could check it out for you. What State are you from? LEON.

Quote from: TUFCAT on May 14, 2010, 06:48:11 PM
I could also look at it (with Leon of course). He's a friend and an excellent resource. Between the two of us (putting our heads together), surely we won't miss much. 

I'm in NH. On the western edge anyhow, not that my exact location in NH really makes much diff.

That would be completely cool! You guys have a PM :cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Ghoste

Having family in Ferndale and Royal Oak and living within the television broadcast zone I consider myself to be an honorary member of the generally far reaches of Metro Detroit.   :nana:   :D

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on May 14, 2010, 10:13:52 PM
Having family in Ferndale and Royal Oak and living within the television broadcast zone I consider myself to be an honorary member of the generally far reaches of Metro Detroit.   :nana:   :D

Uh Oh....I better get those cold beers ready that I owe to Ghoste~  :icon_smile_wink:

69DodgeCharger

It's not charger-jeff selling that car is it? If anybody remembers that name from the past.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Ghoste

Distantly remember him, but I thought he was in Dearborn?

Ghoste

Quote from: TUFCAT on May 14, 2010, 10:22:43 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on May 14, 2010, 10:13:52 PM

Uh Oh....I better get those cold beers ready that I owe to Ghoste~  :icon_smile_wink:

Next time I'm headed to Ypsilanti. (whenever that will be)  :cheers:

motorcitydak

:wave: Not very far from me either, lemme know. I have a rather busy schedule but may be able to help
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

bakerhillpins

Quote from: motorcitydak on May 15, 2010, 01:12:41 AM
:wave: Not very far from me either, lemme know. I have a rather busy schedule but may be able to help

Thanks for the offer!!  :cheers:
hemi-hamption and TUFCAT are lending a helping hand at the moment but Ill let you know if something comes up.  :2thumbs:

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on May 14, 2010, 10:25:55 PM
It's not charger-jeff selling that car is it? If anybody remembers that name from the past.

The gentleman signs his emails with Al. Maybe related?  :shruggy:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on May 14, 2010, 10:31:46 PM
Distantly remember him, but I thought he was in Dearborn?

Harrison Township? Mt. Clemens area if I remember right?
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

bmoparmofo

Good deal, Tuffcat and Hemi are both good guys to have to check it out.Glad you found a couple of members to look at it for you. I wonder if its one I have seen around here? Keep us posted.  :popcrn:  Dreamcruise will be here before we know it.  :cheers:
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

69*F5*SE

Yeah, I'm not too far from Royal Oak. 20 miles or so (guesstimate).  I'm in Roseville.  I live right around the corner from the old Creative Industries building if that gives you a clue.  Glad to see you got some guys go to check the car out for you.  I know Leon and you can trust his judgement and I'm certain TUFCAT has a good level of knowledge as well  :cheers: .  Post some pics when you get some.  Good luck.   :2thumbs:   Ted

TUFCAT

Hi Gang,

Well it didn't work out for us to get a look at the Charger this weekend.  Bryan (bakerhillpins) rallied the troops together with myself and Leon "hemi-hampton" to inspect the car on Saturday afternoon.  Unfortunately the seller wasn't available to accommodate us until very late in the evening on Saturday - so we decided to hold back and regroup.  Hopefully arrangements can be made to look at the car sometime next weekend if its "meant to be" :icon_smile_big: .

The good news is that Bryan was able to get some more detailed info on the phone about the cars condition. Why don't people list more info and some decent pictures on Craigslist ads ???  Obviously it seems they either don't spend time to make the ad, or can't communicate well enough? :shruggy:  Anyway back on subject, Bryan has a great attitude about finding the right car at the right price :yesnod: ...and I'm sure he'll make a very good purchase decision when the time comes on the right car.  Not rushing into anything is key, and Leon and I will certainly do our best to make sure our new pal in New Hampshire doesn't get burned when the time comes.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

4cruzin

Sorry it didn't work out  . . . yep I would always help out when I can.   :2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

bakerhillpins

Quote from: TUFCAT on May 16, 2010, 09:56:48 PM
Hi Gang,

Well it didn't work out for us to get a look at the Charger this weekend.  Bryan (bakerhillpins) rallied the troops together with myself and Leon "hemi-hampton" to inspect the car on Saturday afternoon.  Unfortunately the seller wasn't available to accommodate us until very late in the evening on Saturday - so we decided to hold back and regroup.  Hopefully arrangements can be made to look at the car sometime next weekend if its "meant to be" :icon_smile_big: .

The good news is that Bryan was able to get some more detailed info on the phone about the cars condition. Why don't people list more info and some decent pictures on Craigslist ads ???  Obviously it seems they either don't spend time to make the ad, or can't communicate well enough? :shruggy:  Anyway back on subject, Bryan has a great attitude about finding the right car at the right price :yesnod: ...and I'm sure he'll make a very good purchase decision when the time comes on the right car.  Not rushing into anything is key, and Leon and I will certainly do our best to make sure our new pal in New Hampshire doesn't get burned when the time comes.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I can't say how much I appreciate the fact that so many on this board are willing to spend their valuable free time helping someone else out. It is truly amazing and something you just don't see every day!  :cheers: :2thumbs: I am hoping for the best but let me tell you how hard it is to keep a level head about this stuff!  :yesnod:

Quote from: 4cruzin on May 16, 2010, 10:02:42 PM
Sorry it didn't work out  . . . yep I would always help out when I can.   :2thumbs:

All is not lost yet. Couldn't get the stars aligned this weekend but an attempt to inspect it this weekend is in the plans. As long as the car is still for sale anyhow.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

hemi-hampton

Finally got a look at this thing Yesterday. One of those that looks good from 20 feet away but not close up if your a nit picker. LEON.

TUFCAT

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 23, 2010, 10:19:41 AM
Finally got a look at this thing Yesterday. One of those that looks good from 20 feet away but not close up if your a nit picker. LEON.

I was gone all day and just got back to see these pictures.  ;)

Like you said, from 20 feet, it probably looks great!! In fact it looks nice in pictures. Unfortunately, we know how pictures can be. :eek2:

I'm sure you've already given Bryan your report...so when I get a free moment I'll give you or Bryan a call just to find out the details - and protect the innocent sort of speak. :D hee hee. Sometime the seller has higher ambitions than the should  :icon_smile_wink: . Anyway, (like you've already done). its probably better to keep the details private when the car is still for sale. Thanks for doing this on a solo basis,  I'm sorry I couldn't be there with ya...! :2thumbs:  

TUFCAT

Leon and Bryan, I just logged into my email and saw Leon's pictures.  I think he captured all the "Kodak Moments"! I don't want to say anything subjective online about what I saw in the pics unless I can tell you guys in person. Leon nailed the details. His years of experience in mopars was shown....and it pays off to have him inspect your car.  He did very well in capturing all the details.  :2thumbs:

bakerhillpins

Huge thanks go out to Leon for inspecting the car and Tom for helping me with this. You guys are da bomb.  :2thumbs:  :D

Unfortunately the car is not for me. I wish it was though.. it has an awesome fender tag!

a5 b4 h7 u1
A1 P6 R1 S1 T7 X1
25, 30, 78
A4, X8

TRM - C6C
PNT - QQ1
UBS - W  (This decodes to what exactly??) Can't figure it out from http://www.jimshine.com/tag%20info/68tagdecode.htm
XP29 62 3 41 C28 (not sure about the 8 )

Time for more car shopping... Might be a good excuse to make it to Carlisle.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

TUFCAT

Damn dude, I really wish this car had a more affordable [price tag]. Obviously the owner still likes it a whole lot!  :D

I would be very proud of this ride (if it was mine and restored!!!).  I agree with you - - this could be a sweet Charger if bought right ....{edit} and restored right!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

If restored right first time around this would be a nice car. Unfortunately that was not done. Just happens I know the body shop that did the resto & only thing that comes to mind is BK :brickwall: :slap: :nono: :loser: :pullinghair: :ahum: :moon: :icon_bs: :coocoo: :smilie_help: :badidea: :hack: :image_294343: :cussing: :argue: :scared:

TUFCAT

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 23, 2010, 07:50:37 PM
You mean if Restored right :pity:

YEP!!!  ...and theres a BIG difference when it comes to selling. :icon_smile_big:.

bakerhillpins

Man that QQ1 with white interior is hot, its hard to say no.. like crack!  :nono:

Leon - Did he mention if the car was a #s car. I asked 2 times and never got an answer. The rear-end codes different than he said the car has so I suspect not.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

hemi-hampton

I think I decoded rear as a 3:23 suregrip if I remember right. I don't like decodeing 68 tags compared to 69+ tags. He said it was (#'s matching) but I never got far enough to look since I figured not going to good so far.  Ground was wet & muddy & he was even hesitant to have me look at it in the wet weather. LEON.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 23, 2010, 08:22:49 PM
I think I decoded rear as a 3:23 suregrip if I remember right. I don't like decodeing 68 tags compared to 69+ tags. He said it was (#'s matching) but I never got far enough to look since I figured not going to good so far.  Ground was wet & muddy & he was even hesitant to have me look at it in the wet weather. LEON.

Yea, I decoded that too but he mentioned in an email that it was a 3:55.  :shruggy:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

hemi-hampton

What came in the Factory & what's in it now could easily be 2 different things, My car went from 3:23 to 4:56 to now having a 3:91 I installed. LEON.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 23, 2010, 09:16:49 PM
What came in the Factory & what's in it now could easily be 2 different things, My car went from 3:23 to 4:56 to now having a 3:91 I installed. LEON.

I think your point is that the ratio's can easily be changed to and fro and do not make a #s car.

Ok, so the only parts of a #s (charger anyhow) car is the engine/body/trans. The physical axle itself is not stamped like the engine/trans and therefore isn't part of a #s car?
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

hemi-hampton

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 23, 2010, 09:56:26 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 23, 2010, 09:16:49 PM

I think your point is that the ratio's can easily be changed to and fro and do not make a #s car.

Ok, so the only parts of a #s (charger anyhow) car is the engine/body/trans. The physical axle itself is not stamped like the engine/trans and therefore isn't part of a #s car?

I'd say that last comment is correct. Rear axle not included in #'s matching meaning housing or gears. Unless a Dana 60 gets swapped out for 8 3/4 or 7 1/4 or dana 44 who really cars. I'm sure some do & will disagree, Some want every part #'s to match including Alternator, Distributor, Carb, Radiator, Coil, Voltage Regulator, Starter relay, Starter, Plug wires, ect ect. Thats all good on 100 point showcar going for the gold. Not sure it matters on daily driver. All a matter of opinion though.  LEON.

hemi-hampton

The UBS-W Means upper door frame paint is white. LEON.