News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fully manual 727..not right

Started by SRT-440, May 07, 2010, 10:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT-440

I have a 727 that is a fully manual valve body (no auto shifting) and the shifting is crappy.  :brickwall:
I can find park, reverse and 1st gear good...but when shifting to 2nd you have to "hunt" for it and it feels like it just doesn't wanna go in gear. At first I thought it was the old wore out Hurst shifter so I installed a new B&M Megashifter and it's still hard to find what gear its in.
Is there a adjustment to this or is all manual shifted 727 sloppy like this one.

I should be able to just bump the shifter for second but that doesn't work u have to wrestle it and hunt for the gear.
It's possible the tranny has seen better days..this car was a race car in it's former life and this tranny is a "race 727".
I was going to put a chettah valve body in and get back some of the automatic shifting but was told from the original owner that prolly won't work cuz he thinks they removed weights and other stuff that it would need to be a fully automatic again. I don't know much about transmissions so my terminology is prolly making this hard to understand.
It boils down to it doesn't shift into gear worth a crap.  :rofl:

70 RR
3.91 gears
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

tufamc

FWIW,

I have a TF727 (amc version) behind my amc 401, that is built up, also a manual shift, but I also have ALWAYS had a hard time selecting gears like yourself, I also have that same B&M shifter, and I think it sucks. When reving through the gears I sometimes miss the gear  :o and it revs like crazy, I have tried every adjustment I can think of, to no avail. Sorry if I didn't help you but at least your not alone!
69' Charger 383 4bbl, TF727.....for now......

SRT-440

That does help..cuz it's not just "me" or "mine"..LOL. I don't see anyone preferring that over fully automatic or a 4 speed. It's sloppy and not consistant.
I should add that when it is in the gears I don't notice any slipping or anything..it's just the gear selection.  :scope:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

John_Kunkel

First thing to do is disconnect the shifter from the transmission shift lever and run the shift lever by hand through all the gears to check for any slop between the detents, free movement between the detents means the shift shaft has loosened on the internal lever, fairly common. This will cause the gear positions to be incorrect.

If the lever is tight the next thing to do is check the relation of the shifter position and transmission lever in each gear, have an assistant sit in the car and as he/she shifts to each gear lie under the car and pull the shift cable end from the lever. The cable end should come out of and into the lever hole in each gear with no misalignment.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

unless i am mistaken whenever you change the shifter on an auto car you have to replace the shift lever on the tranny. if you perform the test as john stated i think you will find that "2nd" on your tranny is not "2nd" on your shifter.

SRT-440

I don't really go by the "2nd" on the shifter.. When I put it in gear I find 1st gear..as I drive off and it's time to go into 2nd I try to shift and it's like it can't find the gear. And if by chance I do get it shifted as I try and shift back down (to come to a stop) it won't find the gear to shift down..so I'll still be in 2nd or 3rd instead of first at the stop.
it's just not shifting gears when I hit the shifter. Surly it's not supposed to be this hard to shift a manual 727.

I know this is hard to explain (for me) and I'm prolly not making much sense. :brickwall:

1968_Charger

ive got a cheetah manual valve body and a megashifter. no problems at all shifting. not sure what to tell you about your problem, but mine seems to shift fine.

John_Kunkel

If you don't take my suggestion and check the shifter positions compared to the transmission lever positions you'll never know if the problem is in the shifter or the transmission.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bobs66440

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 07, 2010, 04:53:08 PM
you perform the test as john stated i think you will find that "2nd" on your tranny is not "2nd" on your shifter.
:iagree: That is a possibility. I drove a '67 GTX that had a man valve body (stock shifter) and the gear pattern was reversed from factory.  :shruggy: