News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

10" or 11" drums?

Started by 1BAD68, February 18, 2010, 09:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

My Charger is in storage right now so I cant check but I'm planning to do a brake job on it this spring and I'm gathering parts.
Maybe a dumb question but how do you tell if you have 10" or 11" brake drums?
Is it as easy as just measuring the drum?

Also I noticed that RockAuto is having a closeout sale on Kelsey Hayes brake shoes, are they good brakes?

Ghoste

Plum Crazy 68

I just joined this forum today and I am in the process of pulling a Plum Crazy 68 Charger out of storage and doing the brakes.  These post have been very helpful to me over the past couple of weeks.

Two things I learned about the old drum brakes.  One, do not use old junk yard drums!  I did years ago and had a pair that were just barely out of round.  You couldn't tell when they were turned, but I think the auto dismantler set the car down without the tires on the junked car.  This caused a lock up on one side and caused a pull in the steering.

Second, use "drum brake" gease on your bearings.  The last brake job I did before putting the car away in the 90s I guess I used disc brake grease.  The hub leaked and caused damage to the shoes.  Had there been a forum like this back then I would have been able to pick the right grease.

Thanks all for your contributions!

Sublime/Sixpack

I'm not trying to be difficult Plum Crazy 68, but how can a drum be out of round and that not show up on on a brake lathe?
And when it comes to new drums for these 40 year old cars you may wish you had some junk yard drums.
I just went through this recently when replacing the drums on my '69 Super Bee. I ended up having to center the new drums on the old hubs (using a brake lathe) then weld the drums to the hubs (because the new NAPA drums fit was sloppy on the hubs), then turn the drums before using them.
These outfits that reproduce some of these parts for our old cars, sometimes DON'T get them right. They're sometimes fairly close but like these new drums I purchased "fairly close" doesn't work when you're trying to stop 2 tons at over 100 mph. :yesnod:
Just my perspective.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Plum Crazy 68

Hello Sublime/ Sixpack,

I was thinking about your comment last night as I was putting on brake shoes with a new hold down kit.  The kit looks like some kid in a third world country twisted up some wire for the springs.  I ended up pulling the parts out that had to be replaced and then using what quality parts I already had.  I will be doing the front suspension soon and definately will be using the Moog bushings and who knows if those are still American made parts.  I almost feel that I have woken from a coma since I parked the car.  Working on the car is so different.  Prices went up, manufacturers went overseas, and I haven't seen one car in my area for years.

I guess I am going old school on the brakes by using the drums, however, I did manage to get some nice steel braided brake lines made up from a guy on Ebay.  His company name is "Brake Hoses Unlimited".  Nice product.  I am hoping it takes some of the spongyness out of the pedal and adds a degree of safety when I need to stop.  I'll see this weekend.

Plum

Sublime/Sixpack

I too stayed with the drum brakes on the Bee instead of going with disc's. As allready stated I had some problems with "Fit" of the new NAPA (Made in China) drums but that seems to be squared away now, and the shoes I went with are Raybestos. Firm pedal and the stopping power is good for a drum set up.
I hear ya when it comes to where parts are being produced these days. My USA made car is becoming less and less American as I replace parts. Yesterday I replaced the transmission mount and noticed "Made in India" on the box. China, Mexico, India, geez! ::) I'm happy that parts are available but do wish they were still being produced here in the U.S.
Good luck with your project. :yesnod:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Musicman

If it's any comfort at all... I replaced my rear drums & hardware a few years back... Picked up the parts from Advance or AutoZone, one of the local shops anyway. No problems, everything was good and still is. We have a NAPA here as well, but I don't do a lot of shopping there.