News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New To Forum - Building a '69 Charger

Started by Dloth35, January 04, 2011, 05:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dloth35

As the title says I'm new to the forum. I have loved the '69 Charger since I was 5 years old and sat in the General Lee at an auto show in Amarillo, Tx. I just purchased a 1968 & 1969 Charger that I am going to spend the next 5-7 years turning into my dream car. I spent $500 on a 1968 Charger body and frame. Included was the dash with VIN plate and front cross member with matching serial # out of '69 Charger. I really love the '69 so that is what I am going to build and have it titled as.

The '69 was orginally a white hat special in green with the white interior and a 383. I haven't run the '68 VIN yet. Car is seriously one step away from the junk yard but I hope to get it back on the road someday. Since it will be my personal car and I could careless what monetary value it would have to someone else, I will be building an R/T Clone. Red with the black vinyl top and hopefully a 440 big block or maybe a 426 Hemi (doubtful but a guy can dream). Most likely a 4 speed tranny with a posi rear end.

The whole project is in the infancy stage as I just purchased the car and we are just now examining all the body work to be done. I will post some pics shortly as well. Any advice is appreciated!

JoeyGowdy

Welcome aboard!!   :cheers:   Have any photos of your build??
Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy

Brock Samson

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

tan top

:2thumbs: hello & welcome  :cheers:   any pictures  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69chargerrt440

When your Charger is sideways, just give it more gas!

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

vancamp

welcome, the car you bought didnt come out of broken bow oklahoma area did it?

drifter69

Good to see another Charger fan emerge from the woods. Lots of good help and advise on here and I sure would not be as far along with my project if it were not for the people on this site. Good luck and show us some pic's of your progress from time to time. :2thumbs:

Blakcharger440

Welcome and congrats on your Charger purchase!  :cheers:

Are you planning on putting the 69 charger dash VIN on the 68 Charger? Or maybe I didnt understand correctly?

Dloth35

I'll get some pics posted soon.

I'm kind of freaked out now as I have been informed what I was told could be done may be illegal. I in no way want to do something illegal so here is what I was told.

Both cars were purchased from a salvage yard. The '68 has a frame and decent body. The '69 had been cut in half and was going to be scrapped. I was told that if I swapped out the complete console (not remove the actual vin plate) and install the matching cross member it was legal and I could title the car as a '69 since both cars original titles were sent to the state as they were to be salvaged. If I have been misinformed, please let me know.

So the plan was to basically use the frame and body but build a '69 using with a proper '69 Vin and title

Dloth35

vancamp

Dans 68

A general rule of thumb is that you should not/cannot change vin numbers between cars. I believe this qualifies. Just build the '68 as a '69.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dloth35

Wow, looks like I should have done more research first. I was lied to and am sick because of it. Looks like I will be selling a '68 fixer upper and try to recover what I spent. Looks like the dream of building my '69 will be put on hold for a while longer.

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dloth35

Ok so I lost a lot of sleep over this last night and have decided that I am not going to proceed as planned. I am going to sell the '68 as is and then look for another '69 Charger project.

Thank you to the members who let me know about all of this. I really had no clue and glad I'm finding out now rather than later on.

I do have one favor to ask. Most of you seem very knowledgable about these cars and I'm curious what you think this one is worth. I don't have the full Vin # on me, but I know it's an XP car. Obviously no motor, no tranny, and needs a lot of work. Back half of the car is in decent shape considering the overall state of the car. I don't have the title but a Bill of Sale as this cars title was sent to the state of Texas since it was to be salvaged. I think it's easily worth the $500 I paid but hoping maybe I can get a little more so I can find another project or start saving towards another project.

Also, what can I do if anything with '69 console and matching cross member?

Thanks again for your help.

Daytona R/T SE

What is a "'69 console and matching cross member" ?

Do you mean the dash with the VIN tag attached ?

Dloth35

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 05, 2011, 05:59:36 PM
What is a "'69 console and matching cross member" ?

Do you mean the dash with the VIN tag attached ?

Sorry, yes that is what I meant. The dash with vin and matching cross member are out of a '69 in which the body is long gone.

I am just going to sell the '68 and whoever buys can decide what they want to do with any of the additional pieces.

Daytona R/T SE

Judging by the pictures, it looks like there may be some salvagable parts there.

You shouldn't have any problem getting your money back from someone needing frame rails, etc.

Post a for sale ad here in the classifieds under "Parts for sale"

Your original plan could have gotten you in trouble.

It's illegal.

Some may tell you otherwise, but it is illegal, in all 50 states.

Many have done it without getting caught, but it's just not worth the risk.

Dloth35

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 05, 2011, 06:39:07 PM
Judging by the pictures, it looks like there may be some salvagable parts there.

You shouldn't have any problem getting your money back from someone needing frame rails, etc.

Post a for sale ad here in the classifieds under "Parts for sale"

Your original plan could have gotten you in trouble.

It's illegal.

Some may tell you otherwise, but it is illegal, in all 50 states.

Many have done it without getting caught, but it's just not worth the risk.

Yeah that's what I found out after buying it and in no way want to break the law and risk it.

HOTROD

U r missing the 68 vin ??
You will never find another car for 500 keep it and clone it to a 69 all you are changing is the grill & tail panel witch needs to be dune any way ! :Twocents:
What the Hell-Dumass !

orange383

Quote from: HOTROD on January 05, 2011, 09:18:48 PM
U r missing the 68 vin ??
You will never find another car for 500 keep it and clone it to a 69 all you are changing is the grill & tail panel witch needs to be dune any way ! :Twocents:

Yeah if you can register the 68 then it appears that you've bagged yourself a bargain. Also you have some parts there that may come in handy if you decide to restore another 69 so don't rush into selling just yet!  :Twocents:

hemi68charger

Welcome to the board.... The perfect place to be............   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection