News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A transmission should I question.

Started by lisiecki1, May 11, 2010, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisiecki1

Dad has an old 833 that needs a gear in it that he got for parts for the GTX years ago.  He's offered it to me for my 73 project because, in his words "4 speeds are more fun". lol

Now, I've already built a 1000 horsepower capable 727 for the project, but haven't gotten a flex plate, driveshaft, or torque convertor yet.

I'd have to get a flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, and whatever internals are needed for the 833, plus work out the crossmember, driveshaft, and some kind of clutch setup.

Should I?

How much of a financial set back do you think it would be?

I had plans to put a keisler kit in it, but that is years down the line....much after the car is finished.

Being that the trans needs some internals I'd probably try to replace 4th (if possible) to give it more of an overdrive quality so there wouldn't be need (in my eyes) for the later swap to a 5 or 6 speed, though with the amount of driving time I'm planning on, the swap might eventually happen anyway....

decisions, decisions......
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

elacruze

I'd drive a stick car similar to yours first if possible. You're invested in the auto and will be as much in the manual by the time it's in.

For me, it's in the sig.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Belgium R/T -68

Would your 727 fit into my Hemi tribute? :yesnod:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

lisiecki1

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 11, 2010, 01:01:59 PM
Would your 727 fit into my Hemi tribute? :yesnod:

Per

HAHA  It should, it's a big block 727....I don't know why it wouldn't :shruggy:

Troy

Your auto is finished so if it comes down to money you'll be out a lot more to install the 4-speed. It will probably be more fun but you're looking at setting back your project for how long? If it's an 18 spline you can probably sell it for as much as you need for the rest of your auto set up. I don't believe you can swap that 1 gear. A later factory OD did some weird thing with 3rd and 4th swapped so you'd probably need the whole set. Besides, those transmissions are dirt cheap - but also won't handle the power level you're talking about. A Passon OD gearset is around $1,700. You'll have $2-4k in the rest of the swap.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Usually dads are ones trying to talk their kids out of doing something irresponsible, expensive and fun.

lisiecki1

Quote from: Troy on May 11, 2010, 01:21:53 PM
Your auto is finished so if it comes down to money you'll be out a lot more to install the 4-speed. It will probably be more fun but you're looking at setting back your project for how long? If it's an 18 spline you can probably sell it for as much as you need for the rest of your auto set up. I don't believe you can swap that 1 gear. A later factory OD did some weird thing with 3rd and 4th swapped so you'd probably need the whole set. Besides, those transmissions are dirt cheap - but also won't handle the power level you're talking about. A Passon OD gearset is around $1,700. You'll have $2-4k in the rest of the swap.

Troy

Actual power is only around 500, I overbuilt the trans because I was building it myself and I found that it's considerably less expensive when you do it that way, so I put good stuff in.   Because who knows what I'll want out of the car 5 -10 years after its done and i've been driving it. :2thumbs:

lisiecki1

Quote from: bull on May 11, 2010, 01:29:11 PM
Usually dads are ones trying to talk their kids out of doing something irresponsible, expensive and fun.

I was blessed with a dad that taught me how to drive a stick in a '67 GTX 426 car......that was about 15 years ago, but it seems like yesterday, those kinds of memories last forever.

Chatt69chgr

Gears sets for the 23 spline and the 18 spline are available from Zumbrota Bearing and Gear.  And you can buy individual gears as well.

lisiecki1

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on May 11, 2010, 01:48:34 PM
Gears sets for the 23 spline and the 18 spline are available from Zumbrota Bearing and Gear.  And you can buy individual gears as well.

Thanks Chatt, I'll check that out, for knowledge if nothing else..... :cheers: