News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 new NOS ignition switch no start, intermittent lights

Started by WH23G3G, May 09, 2010, 06:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm trying to get everyone's opinion on all the forums about this crazy electrical problem that's keep me from driving this thing for the first time. After we did the cam break in on my 73 400-4bbl I pushed it back in the garage for a transmission pan leak and some ignition switch problems. When I went to start it, if you touched the ignition switch connector oil and brake lights would light up and flicker if you kept moving the wires around. It would also do nothing at all when you tried to start it. So I figured it might be the cheap aftermarket ignition switch so I tracked down an NOS not a superceded one, it still wasn't 100% correct. It had a black wire going where the orange wire should be for the illumination of the column selector. So i pulled the black wire out and put in the shift selector wire. The oil light and brake light came on and stayed even when I wiggled the connector so I figured that fixed that. But still nothing at all when you turn the key, no noise even. I thought it was a bad starter but when I go under the hood and arc the starter relay it turns over normally. Also this time the oil light didn't light up but the brake light did. The reverse lights don't light up either when put in reverse. If it turned over by arcing the relay, what has that told me? Can I now narrow down what to check? 

b5blue

WH23G3G

I put a new neutral safety switch in when I put the transmission in. I followed a step by step from a reply on Moparts and he said to check the neutral safety switch too. I connected the test light to the positive end of the battery cable and probed the brown/yellow wire while it was plugged into the starter relay and it did light up. I replaced that whole entire harness from the bulkhead connector to the neutral safety switch. However, the reverse lights do not come on and haven't ever since I've got the car finished. I checked the bulkhead connector under the hood to look at the yellow wire going to the ignition and it's got power at both ends, on the relay when the key is turned it lights up brighter and it's got power when it's in the start position. I believe I tracked down the oil pressure light problem. They connector to the bulkhead under the hood was barely in, so I replugged it in and the Oil light now lights when I turn it to run but still no start. Only if I arc the relay will it start. I replaced the relay a few months ago after the other one's stud came loose and grounded inside on the case and melted my positive battery cable. I also remade a new positive battery cable as well as a new relay.