News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trying electrolysis on hood

Started by General_01, May 08, 2010, 04:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

Today my cousin and I built a wood box so I could try electrolysis rust removal on my hood. Everything went well, but I did put a hole in the poly with one of the rebar rods. Unfortunately, we did not realize it until we put the hood in and filled it with water. :brickwall: I have the hose in on low and am trying to keep the water level at an even keel. The only problem is that I am losing water/laundry soda mixture and replacing with just water. We will see how it goes. Here is a before pic of the hood and the setup. I will post pics in a couple days to show how the process is going.

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

ZSmithersCharges

I was just watching a video on a guy using it on a lock thinking, "im gonna have to try this on one of the charger panels!"  Well, there you go!  Guess you can try it.  If it works I'll follow suit! :cheers:

Also what are you using as a power source?  A car battery charger?

Musicman

Hopefully that will work for you :2thumbs:

If not... go buy yourself some Evapo-Rust.

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Q) How can I use it on a surface too large to soak?
A) A smooth paper towel can be soaked with Evapo-Rust and applied to the rusted area. After this is done, cover with plastic to prevent evaporation. When item is de-rusted rinse with water.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Musicman on May 08, 2010, 04:58:12 PM

A) A smooth paper towel can be soaked with Evapo-Rust and applied to the rusted area. After this is done, cover with plastic to prevent evaporation. When item is de-rusted rinse with water.

Saw some of this in Harbor Freight... might have to pick some up so I can do that in the mean time while I'm waiting on the other process.

Musicman

Believe it or not, the stuff actually works, and works well too :yesnod:

Weird isn't it... a product that actually does what it says it will do :lol:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Musicman on May 08, 2010, 05:12:29 PM
Believe it or not, the stuff actually works, and works well too :yesnod:

Weird isn't it... a product that actually does what it says it will do :lol:

:smilielol: Well thank you for verifying that, I'll pick some up when I go to get my engine lift!  I'm excited now!  Know a good brand of paint remover?

General_01

Quote from: Musicman on May 08, 2010, 04:58:12 PM

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the link and the suggestion. :2thumbs:
496 stroker
4-speed

Todd Wilson

Hope you got the hood hooked up right or you wont have a hood in a few days!    :icon_smile_big:

Todd

MoparManJim

Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 08, 2010, 06:54:16 PM
Hope you got the hood hooked up right or you wont have a hood in a few days!    :icon_smile_big:

Todd

Now I have not did anything like what is talk about in this thread, but, I take it you found out the hard way?  :shruggy:

Todd Wilson

Quote from: MoparManJim on May 08, 2010, 08:21:44 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 08, 2010, 06:54:16 PM

Todd

Now I have not did anything like what is talk about in this thread, but, I take it you found out the hard way?  :shruggy:

In order for it to work and it will work  you have to have an anode to sacrifice. Old lawn mower blade or something like that. I am curious to see how well something that big works. If the power supply will have enough poop to work in such a large tank.

Todd

General_01

We have 8 rerod bars around the tank as anodes and we the power is from a battery charger/200 amp starter with it set on the 200 amp start mode. We do see it working, but you are right about how well it will work in a tank this big. I have never done this even on a small scale, so I am just as curious as you are about how well it will work.

I checked it at about 8:00 tonight and it seems to be working some. The rerods have the rust clinging to them and pooling around them on the surface and I can see bubbles coming off the hood. I will check it in the morning to see how it looks. We hooked it up about 3:00 today, so I will probably have a better idea tommorow morning after about 18-19 hours in the tank.
496 stroker
4-speed

Todd Wilson

Hopefully you wont burn out your battery charger running in start mode all that time. I checked with a buddy of mine and he said the bigger the tank 20amps and 12-20volts should be enough. Would like to see pictures of the hood when you are done.

Todd

General_01

I will post pics after the we pull it out.

We did not see any reaction in the tank until we upped the amps. We started with it on the 35 amp charge setting and did not see anything happening. That is why we upped the amps.
496 stroker
4-speed

rav440

interesting .  :cheers: now who is going to the next level and doing a whole car ?

:popcrn:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: rav440 on May 10, 2010, 06:57:34 AM
interesting .  :cheers: now who is going to the next level and doing a whole car ?

:popcrn:
Yes.

BigBlackDodge

Don't you have to have the rebar near the rust.............I thought there had to be a 'line of sight' with the rusted area and the rebar for it to work properly?

Dunno, just asking.....

BBD

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on May 10, 2010, 08:22:39 AM
Don't you have to have the rebar near the rust.............I thought there had to be a 'line of sight' with the rusted area and the rebar for it to work properly?

Dunno, just asking.....

BBD

This is correct.

There is a pretty good line of site between the rebar and the bottom of the hood.  From the pictures I can't tell how low the rebar goes on the front of the hood but I would imagine its ok

Edit: Can't really tell how its connected in the pictures.  There is no showing of the connection from negative to positive so it could be set up right it could not be?

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

General_01

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 10, 2010, 09:05:25 AM
Quote from: BigBlackDodge on May 10, 2010, 08:22:39 AM

Dunno, just asking.....

BBD

This is correct.

There is a pretty good line of site between the rebar and the bottom of the hood.  From the pictures I can't tell how low the rebar goes on the front of the hood but I would imagine its ok

Edit: Can't really tell how its connected in the pictures.  There is no showing of the connection from negative to positive so it could be set up right it could not be?

Positive goes to grid and negative goes to hood.
496 stroker
4-speed

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: General_01 on May 10, 2010, 04:02:36 PM

All of the rebar are hooked together with that silver wire correct?  If so the LOS should be okay all the way around the hood I would think.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: tan top on May 10, 2010, 06:44:06 PM
this is intresting  :yesnod: :popcrn: 

+1 I hope it works.  I'll build a pool in my backyard and throw the charger in it.

General_01

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 10, 2010, 06:18:51 PM
Quote from: General_01 on May 10, 2010, 04:02:36 PM

All of the rebar are hooked together with that silver wire correct?  If so the LOS should be okay all the way around the hood I would think.

Yes, rebar is connected with the wire, but not a loop. You do not end at the rebar you started at.
496 stroker
4-speed

Troy

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 10, 2010, 06:45:39 PM
Quote from: tan top on May 10, 2010, 06:44:06 PM
this is intresting  :yesnod: :popcrn: 

+1 I hope it works.  I'll build a pool in my backyard and throw the charger in it.
:smilielol:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.