News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 AC center air louvers

Started by 68blue, May 07, 2010, 07:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blue

I noticed what looked like old vacuum metalizing on parts of the center air louvers, at first I thought the part was black :scratchchin:. What was the origional finish? These are directly under the radio.

b5blue

Chrome, done by heated press and a foil film. (Not like bumper chrome)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Correct, vacuum chrome plating.  Had mine done for $40 at Chrome Tech USA.  http://www.chrometechusa.com/

They need to be totally disassembled & sent as bare shells.  A bit of a PITA but not too hard if you're careful.
Hard to photograph but these are the finished pieces.....they rechrome the whole thing & then repaint the black
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

I beg to differ. I am certain the factory used "Hot Stamp" method, I have 2 NOS sets of them for reference and worked for and was close friends with the owner of a plastic novelty manufacturer for years, the process is simple and puts a silver or gold (or any tinted shiny metallic color like pink or purple) on the raised flat surface of any plastic part. Unlike the dash bezels process it only puts the "chrome" on the flat, with no need to repaint the part if molded in the correct color, the hallmarks of this process are evident on my NOS parts, a very slight "flash" on the edge of the chrome where the foil used to supply that chrome is pulled away, a factor that is adjusted for setting up the machine that I have done. Much much cheaper for the effect. Had the used your suggested way they they would have left them all chrome like GM ball and rectangular A/C vents are. (Just to save money) Keep in mind the bean counters ruled the roost, we just missed getting fold down rear seats in 2nd gen. Chargers to save 16.00 per car! (How cool would that have been!) I only belabor this point because I know I could run about 200 of these vent pairs in an hour (even used ones) if I had access to a hot stamp machine loaded with 60.00 of chrome foil and wished someone would offer the service here in the USA. (The factory I was at moved operations overseas)  :2thumbs:   

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wasnt sure of the correct term.  Thanks Neal for straightening this out :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

Someone with the correct machine could renew these just like new for 10.00 and make a killing!  :yesnod: