News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting Engine Bay-acrylic enamel vs. high heat paint

Started by sixpack_sid, May 06, 2010, 11:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I am working on the engine bay of my Charger, should be ready to paint next weekend. Question: Do you use a high heat paint in the engine bay, or the same paint that you paint the rest of the car with? I have a 440 engine for it and I am planning on getting headers. If I use the regular paint, will it flake off?  :paintingpink:
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Rubberduck

The same paint as the rest of the car.
I´ve never heard this paint would be unsufficient for the heat in the engina bay.

Mario
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

charge69

Same paint as the rest of the car will be fine. I am sure you are using a hardener in the paint, aren't you? You will have no problems. A friend of mine used the same acrylic enamel with a hardener in it to paint his engines and 5 years later, they still look like new! No worries if you prep everything right.

69bronzeT5

What about spray paint? I'm on a tight budget and I'm redoing the engine compartment in my Duster because the car is blue and the compartment is the original gold.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

694spdRT

I rattle canned my '68's engine compartment red 20 years ago and it is still there and hasn't flaked at all. It has dulled. I wouldn't openly recommend it as the best thing to do but it has been done.  

Someone rattle canned my Challenger engine compartment black years ago and it is peeling all over. Of course the shiny paint underneath might have something to do with that.  :eek2:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Silver R/T

Quote from: 694spdRT on May 07, 2010, 02:11:49 PM
I rattle canned my '68's engine compartment red 20 years ago and it is still there and hasn't flaked at all. It has dulled. I wouldn't openly recommend it as the best thing to do but it has been done. 

Someone rattle canned my Challenger engine compartment black years ago and it is peeling all over. Of course the shiny paint underneath might have something to do with that.  :eek2:
Probably didnt scuff paint underneath it, it will flake off
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

you could actually paint your block/engine with base clear if you wanted to

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

694spdRT

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 07, 2010, 03:05:47 PM
Quote from: 694spdRT on May 07, 2010, 02:11:49 PM

Someone rattle canned my Challenger engine compartment black years ago and it is peeling all over. Of course the shiny paint underneath might have something to do with that.  :eek2:
Probably didnt scuff paint underneath it, it will flake off

Yep, that is why it was still shiny underneath. Proper prep work needs to be done no matter what paint is used.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

sixpack_sid

Thanks for the replies! Ok, then. I guess I'll shoot the engine bay w/acrylic enamel. And, yes, I use hardener.  :2thumbs:
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: charge69 on May 07, 2010, 10:59:47 AM
Same paint as the rest of the car will be fine. I am sure you are using a hardener in the paint, aren't you? You will have no problems. A friend of mine used the same acrylic enamel with a hardener in it to paint his engines and 5 years later, they still look like new! No worries if you prep everything right.

Uh-Oh I forgot to put the hardener in the paint when I did my engine bay.... :slap: It is covered with clear coat though. Hope I don't have any problems I really don't want to have to redo it anytime soon.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on May 08, 2010, 08:16:38 AM
Quote from: charge69 on May 07, 2010, 10:59:47 AM

Uh-Oh I forgot to put the hardener in the paint when I did my engine bay.... :slap: It is covered with clear coat though. Hope I don't have any problems I really don't want to have to redo it anytime soon.

Did you use a single stage acrylic enamel?  LEON.

69DodgeCharger

Yes Leon I did....Please tell me I'm not screwed? Anyways here's how it went down. 2 color coats 20 minutes between them. wait 40 minutes (clean the gun, etc.) spray two coats of clear.  It has been sitting since then. No problems yet though and seems hard as a rock.

Silver R/T

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on May 08, 2010, 09:24:29 PM
Yes Leon I did....Please tell me I'm not screwed? Anyways here's how it went down. 2 color coats 20 minutes between them. wait 40 minutes (clean the gun, etc.) spray two coats of clear.  It has been sitting since then. No problems yet though and seems hard as a rock.

You will be fine. Clear coat was activated so it'll protect paint underneath

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 09, 2010, 12:21:41 AM
Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on May 08, 2010, 09:24:29 PM

You will be fine. Clear coat was activated so it'll protect paint underneath

I thought I would be but wasn't for sure and it was to late by the time I noticed. Good Deal I really didn't want to have to do the engine bay a 3rd time!

hemi-hampton

What Silver said, You should be OK.  Myself I would just used the Hardener & no clear coat at all. Clearcoat optional with single stage acrylic, urethane, polyurethane enamel but mandatory on a Base coat Clear coat. Mandatory on a metallic single stage or metallic laquer if you plan on rubbing. You dont want to rub right on metallics. LEON.