News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing a helicoil in 727 pan bolt hole, did I screw up?

Started by JR, May 06, 2010, 06:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

I'm such an idiot. Here's what happened just now.

The 2 pan bolts on my 727 (On either side of the dipstick tube), were stripped out. I go to install a helicoil, and what should have been a simple job, may have ruined my day. I'll explain this the best I can, hopefully you guys will know what I'm trying to say.

On the front/forward/perpendicular row of transmission pan bolts, the one at the very end on the passenger side, directly beside the dipstick tube (and the servo) was damaged. While drilling the oversize hole for the helicoil, I think I went a tad too far and drilled a 1/8th inch hole thru the end of it. Which I think now means I have a new hole for the fluid to come thru that's inside the case. :brickwall:

I don't have a digital cam at the moment to upload pics, but maybe I can find a pic online to illustrate. I went and put some aluminum filled sillicone inside the bolt hole, hoping it will contain the fluid if that's what I did.

Any words of advice guys? Weld the case? Pray to the car gods? Volunter my body to Chuck Norris for a new experimental roundhouse kick as punishment for my case of stupidity?

If you look at this picture, it's the bolt at the bottom, left side of the pic. On the front row of bolts, directly infront of the sevo.

Any thoughts guys?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

TylerCharger69

I dont think you will have a problem....maybe use a dab of sealer on the bolt threads itself??

ACUDANUT

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on May 06, 2010, 08:46:36 PM
I dont think you will have a problem....maybe use a dab of sealer on the bolt threads itself??
You should be okay. :Twocents:

JR

Thanks for the replys guys. That feeling of a potentially bad screwup suuuuuuucccccckkkeeeeddd! I'm about to fill the trans with fluid now.  :cheers:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green