News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Grill...buy a restored one or restore mine?

Started by Bobby41909, May 03, 2010, 10:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby41909

I recently bought a 69 Charger that was in the process of being restored.  Just about everything was in excellent shape for an easy project except for the grill.  The passenger side and center are half gone and there are a lot of cracks in the driver side.  The stainless trim is all dented and in some places it's beyond fixing.  I see a few center's on Ebay for around $400 but no passenger/driver sides.  Apparently, a trim kit can be purchased for around $400.  So if the passenger/driver piece's costs $200 each, I'll have $1,200 in just getting good parts.

Does anyone sell restored grills and if so what can I expect to pay?  I found one on Ebay but at $1,500 it hasn't met the reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170478606956&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Cooter

I have a home restored '69 R/T Grille if interestred...$1000.00 plus shipping..Lemme know...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twodko

I'd look into one like Cooters that's already "home" finished which is what most all of us do with ours. Most 69 grilles can be restored even if you have to surf gougebay and other mopar sites for parts. The trim on the grille is aluminum not SS and is fairly easy to repair/polish IF you've got the patience. Gunslinger sells a 7 piece trim kits for $475......very pricey cuz no one else is repopping them. Hunting grille trim isn't as difficult as other parts are to locate. Keep what you have and buy one that's already restored. Then sell all the usable pieces of your old grille to offset what you spend on a resto'd grille ........or keep them for spares.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Bobby41909

Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2010, 06:54:39 AM
I have a home restored '69 R/T Grille if interestred...$1000.00 plus shipping..Lemme know...

I sent you a PM....

Bobby41909

Quote from: twodko on May 04, 2010, 03:15:49 PM
I'd look into one like Cooters that's already "home" finished which is what most all of us do with ours. Most 69 grilles can be restored even if you have to surf gougebay and other mopar sites for parts. The trim on the grille is aluminum not SS and is fairly easy to repair/polish IF you've got the patience. Gunslinger sells a 7 piece trim kits for $475......very pricey cuz no one else is repopping them. Hunting grille trim isn't as difficult as other parts are to locate. Keep what you have and buy one that's already restored. Then sell all the usable pieces of your old grille to offset what you spend on a resto'd grille ........or keep them for spares.

Tom

I agree...I saw a thread in here where a member restored one for another member and it looked better then original.  I sent Cooter a PM and if that works maybe a member would be interested in mine to restore and sell to another member.  For those who have the gift to do this work god bless them...

mikepmcs

check out the restoration thread started by my man Cody Cole.  Bet you'll find what you are looking for on grille restos.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,44041.0.html
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Cooter

Email sent with pics of grille....This Grille while NOT PERFECT, will make one helluva driver grille and a fairly good starting point for someone looking to just go nuts restoring every nut and bolt...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twodko

They sure don't build grilles like Christine's anymore.

Tom

bull

If you already have one and can find a good second one very cheap you'd probably be better off cost-wise doing it yourself. Otherwise it might be a wash.

How bad are your headlight surrounds? If it's just the corners that are busted off those can be repaired without too much trouble.

twodko

Bobby,

Can you post a couple pix of the grille you have? I'd like to see it just out of curiosity.

Tom

Cooter

Quote from: twodko on May 04, 2010, 05:45:01 PM

Tom

LOL! You know the funny part? I can get an aluminum '58 Plymouth Grille (Both halves, they connect in the center) for about Half what a '69 Charger Grille goes for...It's that damn "V" emblem that costs....

vancamp

Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2010, 06:44:12 PM
Quote from: twodko on May 04, 2010, 05:45:01 PM

Tom
It's that damn "V" emblem that costs....
i used to have one here somewhere i took off a junker bout 20 years ago if i can find it.

Bobby41909

Quote from: twodko on May 04, 2010, 05:54:04 PM
Bobby,

Can you post a couple pix of the grille you have? I'd like to see it just out of curiosity.

Tom

I'll post a few pictures tonight

twodko

Bobby

Checkout CraigsList - SF Bay Area - Car Parts. A guy has a 68 grille in great condition. I think the grille ends are interchangeable with a 69 grille. Kinda far to ship but another option anyway.

Tom