News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone taking part in the Target ban?

Started by bull, December 13, 2005, 11:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

anyone eat them salt and vinegar chips??? or is that only in Canada?  I (the only time i ever see them is in Winnipeg)

ChargerBill

OK, I agree that sometimes it gets overwhelming trying to get into the store, but you do realize that they are all there for good reasons, right? GirlScouts help raise kind hearted, helpful, dilligent girls who have a sense of community, charity and also make new friends and get to get out of the house...sometimes the only break some of these kids get from their harsh realities. Salvation Army..we already know what they do and how much they help. Petitions..well that's just democracy at work...you might be suprised at what they are trying to change/petition. It could open your eyes to some new policy or law that WILL someday affect you. Voting registration...very important. Bake sales...sometimes this is the only way that some kids get Christmas presents, or that poor kids get to go to summer camp or even have extra curricular activities after school. Maybe you guys should change your approach, slow down (what could it take - 5 minutes?) visit them all...see what they have to say. I guarantee that you would feel better about yourself after giving to someone else...without a doubt.

Look. I am by NO MEANS perfect and at times I find myself shaking my head at the thought of running the gauntlet to get into the store, but as soon as I simply change my attitude and CHOOSE to stop and talk and see what they want or need, it changes the whole experience.
Life is a highway...

73-charger-383

anyone who wants to start giving more to others can start with me.......pm me for the address..... ;D

Ponch ®

Quote from: ChargerBill on December 15, 2005, 04:25:02 PM

Yeah, I've heard that same story somewhere else before... But you really can't think that that's the ONLY reason people ever get strapped for money. What about the Iron worker who's plant just got closed and has 3 kids to feed? What about the Katrina victim?

I understand the apprehension about where the money goes...so research before you give, but don't stop giving and don't lump all charities into the same category.

I'd help them If I could. There have been a couple of times (recently too) where I have gone so out of my way to help someone in a bind that the people that were with me were left scratching their heads. The point is - I have nothing against SA, Girl Scouts, and what have you...but theres only so much one can give. Either way, somebody is gonna think youre a dick for not giving them any money.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Old Moparz

I've always found that if you leave your pants open going into the store, drool on yourself while you mumble obscenities & push the shopping cart backwards, they never ask you for money.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ChargerBill

Quote from: Ponch on December 15, 2005, 04:35:16 PM
I'd help them If I could. There have been a couple of times (recently too) where I have gone so out of my way to help someone in a bind that the people that were with me were left scratching their heads. The point is - I have nothing against SA, Girl Scouts, and what have you...but theres only so much one can give. Either way, somebody is gonna think youre a dick for not giving them any money.

I totally agree, but it doesn't matter what THEY think...what matters is that you DO care...and it sounds like you do.

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 15, 2005, 04:35:55 PM
I've always found that if you leave your pants open going into the store, drool on yourself while you mumble obscenities & push the shopping cart backwards, they never ask you for money.

:smilielol:   I think I just pi$$ed my pants....
Life is a highway...

Ponch ®

Quote from: ChargerBill on December 15, 2005, 04:36:56 PM

:smilielol:   I think I just pi$$ed my pants....

nows your chance for a hassle free shopping outing!
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

ChargerBill

OK, I'm going to go buy my Christmas Turkey and all the fixins for stuffing...later guys...
Life is a highway...

Ponch ®

Quote from: ChargerBill on December 15, 2005, 04:41:11 PM
OK, I'm going to go buy my Christmas Turkey and all the fixins for stuffing...later guys...

Turkey? Why not change it up - some ham, meat loaf or somethign to taht effect. Personally, I cant even look at a Turkey for a month after thanksgiving.

ChargerBill

Quote from: Ponch on December 15, 2005, 04:44:47 PM
Turkey? Why not change it up - some ham, meat loaf or somethign to taht effect. Personally, I cant even look at a Turkey for a month after thanksgiving.

Let me tell you bro, I was all fired up to make a Christmas stew for this party..and was even going to make fresh Peasant Bread (if you never had it you are missing out!) I have a great TriTip stew recipe that is slightly Tuscany (red sauce) but instead I use a home made from scratch cream tomato soup base and then add garlic, paprika, basil, a dash of tartar, brown sugar, worchestershire, a dash of soy...it's an excellent stew and whenever I've served it people left my house fat and happy. My sister got involved and asked what she could bring and when I said I was making stew she was upset that she couldn't bring her candied yams...and it snowballed. I had guests who REALLY wanted me to make the Turkey again...some of them said it was better than their own (or their wives). In the end a lot of people were disappointed and wanted to bring Turkey dinner side dishes, so I gave in.

For Christmas eve we are having a crab feast, for Christmas dinner we are having my moms home made lasagna and a spiral honey ham. I'm making 2 pumpkin pies and a chocolate mousse and my sister is bringing 2 home made cheesecakes (one oreo cookie and one pumpkin) and homemade fudge, panuchi and home made almond roca, my other sister makes fresh clam dip and a huge pistachio pudding, my aunt is bringing fresh lumpia, carne asada and carnitas. On Christmas day we all roll our own fresh won tons and egg rolls using my moms sausage based stuffing to snack on... On New Years we go to my aunt and uncles and he roasts a full pig Hawaiian style and we have a HUGE feast. Food during the holidays is a major deal for us...i can't wait.
Life is a highway...

RD

i give all that is in my wallet a tithe, i give whatever is in my pocket to the SA at wally world (and if that isnt enough I dip into my wallet), and just because I gave yesterday to the SA bellringer does not provide me with a excuse to not give today.  But that is what I choose to do, and I will do that with any (and I mean any reputable charitable institution).
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Chargen69

Personally, I am glad for the bell ringing ban at Target.   It is nice to get into a store without going by those people.   Makes me made that the bell ringers get any of the money.   Not to mention I always wondered how much they got "under" the table with sticky fingers.
(note, I know there are perfectly good people out there that do this and dont steal money and DO donate what they get from SA back to SA, but not all are like that, and I dont want to take a chance with the money that I donate, I send checks directly to organizations that I give to)

Ponch ®

Quote from: ChargerBill on December 15, 2005, 04:57:47 PM
Quote from: Ponch on December 15, 2005, 04:44:47 PM

Let me tell you bro, I was all fired up to make a Christmas stew for this party..and was even going to make fresh Peasant Bread (if you never had it you are missing out!) I have a great TriTip stew recipe that is slightly Tuscany (red sauce) but instead I use a home made from scratch cream tomato soup base and then add garlic, paprika, basil, a dash of tartar, brown sugar, worchestershire, a dash of soy...it's an excellent stew and whenever I've served it people left my house fat and happy. My sister got involved and asked what she could bring and when I said I was making stew she was upset that she couldn't bring her candied yams...and it snowballed. I had guests who REALLY wanted me to make the Turkey again...some of them said it was better than their own (or their wives). In the end a lot of people were disappointed and wanted to bring Turkey dinner side dishes, so I gave in.

For Christmas eve we are having a crab feast, for Christmas dinner we are having my moms home made lasagna and a spiral honey ham. I'm making 2 pumpkin pies and a chocolate mousse and my sister is bringing 2 home made cheesecakes (one oreo cookie and one pumpkin) and homemade fudge, panuchi and home made almond roca, my other sister makes fresh clam dip and a huge pistachio pudding, my aunt is bringing fresh lumpia, carne asada and carnitas. On Christmas day we all roll our own fresh won tons and egg rolls using my moms sausage based stuffing to snack on... On New Years we go to my aunt and uncles and he roasts a full pig Hawaiian style and we have a HUGE feast. Food during the holidays is a major deal for us...i can't wait.

We should probably start planning on doing that GM diet again...

Chris G.

Boy OM, you're really showing your age :P. Nowadays, just pretend your pissed on your cell phone and no one will bother you. Once you pass 'em all, get in your ride, hit the first traffic light and most of the time you will see some 8th grade girls soccer team hitting you up for donations at the traffic light. Drop a fiddy cent in the bucket and keep rollin'. You donated, so you should feel good. :smoke:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 15, 2005, 05:49:33 PM

Boy OM, you're really showing your age :P. Nowadays, just pretend your pissed on your cell phone and no one will bother you. Once you pass 'em all, get in your ride, hit the first traffic light and most of the time you will see some 8th grade girls soccer team hitting you up for donations at the traffic light. Drop a fiddy cent in the bucket and keep rollin'. You donated, so you should feel good. :smoke:

There's no way I'm faking mad cell disease, that's pretty degrading.

As for donating, my wife & I do things during the year so there's no need on our part to suddenly feel charitable at the end of the year. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Chris G.

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 15, 2005, 06:06:52 PM

There's no way I'm faking mad cell disease, that's pretty degrading.

Even though you didn't add a smiley, I'm assuming that was supposed to be funny, 'cause I'm laughing my arse off. :smilielol:

And you're right, donations are given from home all year round by me as well. Don't you think these big charitable groups have PR execs who research when a giver might be most vulnerable? They know when to hit you up that's for sure...not that there's anything wrong with that. :icon_smile_wink:

Troy

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 15, 2005, 09:01:16 AM
Quote from: Troy on December 14, 2005, 08:57:43 PM
Quote from: Shakey on December 14, 2005, 08:14:15 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on December 14, 2005, 05:27:31 PM
it won't remain on top for long.

On top of what?
Mexico.

Troy

Wouldn't that put us under Canada?

We're partially beside Canada if you count Alaska and bits of the northeast. I don't think any part of Alaska is actually above them or I'd have listed Canada too.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.