News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone taking part in the Target ban?

Started by bull, December 13, 2005, 11:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: ----hey you're right......you've completely changed my mind.........i can't believe i was so blind........thank you for saving me........now that were done with all of that........what do you think Jesus's ride would be if he came back right now????????

derailed

Quote from: 73-charger-383 on December 15, 2005, 11:35:19 AM
what do you think Jesus's ride would be if he came back right now????????
Hopefully he would start by kicking the shit out of all these child molesting priest

73dodge

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: ----hey you're right......you've completely changed my mind.........i can't believe i was so blind........thank you for saving me........now that were done with all of that........what do you think Jesus's ride would be if he came back right now????????

Well I was not trying to change your mind I was just trying to answer his post with an alternate arguement,  So you don't want me to challenge some of his quotes is like trying to persuade you that the sky was not purple because you believe it is but hey if you want to believe the sky is purple you go right ahead I would not want to try and change your mind or EVEN try to persuade you that the sky was blue or any other color besides purple for that matter because after all your opnion is just and right as mine and we can all beleive what ever we want because it feels right and dag burn it I have the right to hold to what ever opinion I want!!!

And if Jesus came back right now he would drive a GM because it's an American made car made by good ole god fearing flag wavin union members to support higher union wages and show his confidence in American made products.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

73dodge

And besides how did a thread go from banning paper shooting targets to Religion?

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

Lowprofile

Quote from: drailed on December 15, 2005, 11:46:31 AM
what do you think Jesus's ride would be if he came back right now????????
Hopefully he would start by kicking the shit out of all these child molsting priest

When a good debate makes a wrong turn. :rotz:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Orange_Crush

Quote from: 73dodge on December 15, 2005, 11:48:07 AM

Well I was not trying to change your mind I was just trying to answer his post with an alternate arguement,   So you don't want me to challenge some of his quotes is like trying to persuade you that the sky was not purple because you believe it is but hey if you want to believe the sky is purple you go right ahead I would not want to try and change your mind or EVEN try to persuade you that the sky was blue or any other color besides purple for that matter because after all your opnion is just and right as mine and we can all beleive what ever we want because it feels right and dag burn it I have the right to hold to what ever opinion I want!!!

And if Jesus came back right now he would drive a GM because it's an American made car made by good ole god fearing flag wavin union members to support higher union wages and show his confidence in American made products.

My response was to a poster who said that this nation was founded by Christians on Christian principles.   It was not.   I always laugh when people say that US law is based on the ten commandments.   Its not.   

posting those quotes in their full context did nothing to disprove any of what I said.   None of those original quotes was taken out of context.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

73-charger-383

I was just trying to get people together for one big group hug. 
  With the original post about the Target ban i think people should just lighten up a little.  So what if Target doesn't want to put Merry Christmas in their flyers.......it's not like they are selling praise Budda bobbleheads.  I just wish that the same effort and passion that is shown organizing boycots and "raising public awareness" would be shown actually helping people out......regardless what they're religion is.  There's a whole lot of people in crappy situations that don't get helped out cause people are too busy defending their beliefs to have time to actually do something. 
---- i have a crazy idea.......instead of worring about were to shop, drive down to the closest grocery store, regardless of what it says on the front, but some food and supplies and bring it to the salvation army (or homeless shelter) or just the family down the street that doesn't have squat. 
----i'm not accusing or pointing fingers, so sorry if it ticks anyone off, but there's a big difference between saying what the right thing to do is, and actually doing it.

Ponch ®

...what do you think Jesus's ride would be if he came back right now????????

I honestly think that If Jesus were around, he'd be rolling in a mini or a toyota prius.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

volk68

Quote from: 73-charger-383 on December 15, 2005, 12:10:42 PM
I was just trying to get people together for one big group hug. 
  With the original post about the Target ban i think people should just lighten up a little.  So what if Target doesn't want to put Merry Christmas in their flyers.......it's not like they are selling praise Budda bobbleheads.  I just wish that the same effort and passion that is shown organizing boycots and "raising public awareness" would be shown actually helping people out......regardless what they're religion is.  There's a whole lot of people in crappy situations that don't get helped out cause people are too busy defending their beliefs to have time to actually do something. 
---- i have a crazy idea.......instead of worring about were to shop, drive down to the closest grocery store, regardless of what it says on the front, but some food and supplies and bring it to the salvation army (or homeless shelter) or just the family down the street that doesn't have squat. 
----i'm not accusing or pointing fingers, so sorry if it ticks anyone off, but there's a big difference between saying what the right thing to do is, and actually doing it.

I think you underestimate the charity of Christians in general, and Christian organizations specifically.  Christian organizations are widely recognized as the largest body of charitable giving and support...when they are allowed to raise funds for such activity.  Which brings us full circle and back to the debate at hand.  Target not allowing the Salvation Army to fund raise at their doors is just another way to hinder the good work of Christian charity, and is one of the reasons I will not shop there.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: volk68 on December 15, 2005, 03:25:51 PM

I think you underestimate the charity of Christians in general, and Christian organizations specifically.   Christian organizations are widely recognized as the largest body of charitable giving and support...when they are allowed to raise funds for such activity.   Which brings us full circle and back to the debate at hand.   Target not allowing the Salvation Army to fund raise at their doors is just another way to hinder the good work of Christian charity, and is one of the reasons I will not shop there.

Which brings us back to Target's original reason for this.

Target has a "no soliciting" policy at all its stores.   In the past, they had allowed the Salvation Army bellringers out there, however, this opened a door to other groups to say "you let the S.A. do it so why can't we." so they instituted a STRICT no soliciting policy.

Target instituted this policy last Christmas and, while everyone talked "boycott," Target's still going strong with no signs of slowing down.

Personally, this makes life easier at the Target because, unlike Wal-Mart, I don't have to dodge the S.A., Girls Scouts, 7th day Adventists, Boy Scouts, Amway, and the Knights of Columbus to go buy my damned can of Pringles.

Besides, you can't even get a half-assed spank rag like Maxim at Wal-Mart.

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

bull

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 15, 2005, 03:32:44 PM

I think you underestimate the charity of Christians in general, and Christian organizations specifically.   Christian organizations are widely recognized as the largest body of charitable giving and support...when they are allowed to raise funds for such activity.   Which brings us full circle and back to the debate at hand.   Target not allowing the Salvation Army to fund raise at their doors is just another way to hinder the good work of Christian charity, and is one of the reasons I will not shop there.

Which brings us back to Target's original reason for this.

Target has a "no soliciting" policy at all its stores.   In the past, they had allowed the Salvation Army bellringers out there, however, this opened a door to other groups to say "you let the S.A. do it so why can't we." so they instituted a STRICT no soliciting policy.

Target instituted this policy last Christmas and, while everyone talked "boycott," Target's still going strong with no signs of slowing down.

Personally, this makes life easier at the Target because, unlike Wal-Mart, I don't have to dodge the S.A., Girls Scouts, 7th day Adventists, Boy Scouts, Amway, and the Knights of Columbus to go buy my damned can of Pringles.

Besides, you can't even get a half-assed spank rag like Maxim at Wal-Mart.

I've never really bought the "if I let you do it I have to let everyone do it" argument. Is there some law that says a business cannot make an exception to it's own policies regarding solicitation? Could Target actually have suit filed against it for doing so, and would they litigator have a leg to stand on? I just don't buy it. Everyone makes exceptions to rules, and store policy isn't even really a rule, let alone a law.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on December 15, 2005, 03:56:05 PM

I've never really bought the "if I let you do it I have to let everyone do it" argument. Is there some law that says a business cannot make an exception to it's own policies regarding solicitation? Could Target actually have suit filed against it for doing so, and would they litigator have a leg to stand on? I just don't buy it. Everyone makes exceptions to rules, and store policy isn't even really a rule, let alone a law.

actually they could - and they would use the same argument you are using, but in reverse. If Target were to let the S.A. in the stores but not others, they would be accused of discriminating against non-christian organizations, and that is a huge headache that no corporation wants to deal with.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Orange_Crush

Do you all honestly think that they would ban the S.A. from their entrances solely due to some type of anti-Christian bias?  Come on guys, think about this logically.  Target knew that they would be walking into a potential PR quagmire by doing this and they did it anyway. 

ChargerBill

Quote from: 73-charger-383 on December 15, 2005, 12:10:42 PM
there's a big difference between saying what the right thing to do is, and actually doing it.

Absolutely true!

Yep, same thing I've said before when this topic comes up...Christian organizations give more free medecine and vaccines, feed more of the hungry and cloth more of the needy than ANY other organizations on the planet, period.

From all your past comments and attitude I figured you might be this kind of a person...it's just that now that you've said it in your own words, there is no question at all. Didn't you just say in the "How wealthy are you" thread that 100K isn't that much? I'll tell you brother, $5 is A LOT to some people. I guess I should go back to that topic and ad that CHARITY is another indicator of wealth...wealth of compassion. I don't want to sound like a prick, but it appears that some folks could learn a thing or two about giving to those less fortunate than yourself.
Life is a highway...

Orange_Crush

From all your past comments and attitude I figured you might be this kind of a person...it's just that now that you've said it in your own words, there is no question at all.

Reallly?  Do you like Lay's chips better?  They're too greasy for me.

ChargerBill

OK, there...I fixed it....go back and read again.
Life is a highway...

Ponch ®

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 15, 2005, 04:12:20 PM

Reallly?   Do you like Lay's chips better?   They're too greasy for me.

I find Pringles too dry for my taste. Regular Lays' are pretty greasy, but if you can get your hands on the Kettle Cooked ones (especially the Jalapeno), youll be pleasantly surprised.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: ChargerBill on December 15, 2005, 04:15:11 PM
OK, there...I fixed it....go back and read again.

I'd like to know how you've managed to obtain access to my financial records.  After all, you sound pretty sure of yourself. 

ChargerBill

Look, I'll go back and erase it, if you think twice about what you just said and maybe change it. Dodging a charitable organization sounds pretty dang COLD HEARTED to me... I don't care WHAT you do with your money, but to openly express that opinion is pretty balsy and makes them sound like they're somehow BENEATH you and you have to "dodge" them like they're something to be avoided....
Life is a highway...

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Ponch on December 15, 2005, 04:15:35 PM
Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 15, 2005, 04:12:20 PM

Reallly?   Do you like Lay's chips better?   They're too greasy for me.

I find Pringles too dry for my taste. Regular Lays' are pretty greasy, but if you can get your hands on the Kettle Cooked ones (especially the Jalapeno), youll be pleasantly surprised.

Kettle cooked chips are great and Lay's does make good ones, but if you want the world's greatest potato chip, I suggest you go here.

http://www.rt11.com/

Ponch ®

Quote from: ChargerBill on December 15, 2005, 04:09:09 PM

From all your past comments and attitude I figured you might be this kind of a person...it's just that now that you've said it in your own words, there is no question at all. Didn't you just say in the "How wealthy are you" thread that 100K isn't that much? I'll tell you brother, $5 is A LOT to some people. I guess I should go back to that topic and ad that CHARITY is another indicator of wealth...wealth of compassion. I don't want to sound like a prick, but it appears that some folks could learn a thing or two about giving to those less fortunate than yourself.

One morning I gave a wino $3 (basically all the cash I had in my pockets) because he came up to me and said "look man...I came to the bar last night. I got pretty wasted and spent all of my money. I passed out on the curb and now I don't have any money for the bus ride home". I appreciated his honesty.

ChargerBill

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 15, 2005, 04:17:49 PM
I'd like to know how you've managed to obtain access to my financial records.   After all, you sound pretty sure of yourself.  

That's not the point OC...your comment makes the Salvation Army and other chariities sound like the bad guy in all of this...is that your solution, villify the charity?
Life is a highway...

Orange_Crush

Quote from: ChargerBill on December 15, 2005, 04:19:14 PM
Look, I'll go back and erase it, if you think twice about what you just said and maybe change it. Dodging a charitable organization sounds pretty dang COLD HEARTED to me... I don't care WHAT you do with your money, but to openly express that opinion is pretty balsy and makes them sound like they're somehow BENEATH you and you have to "dodge" them like they're something to be avoided....

Bill, I never carry cash and and its pretty tough to cram a credit card in a donation can.   It gets annoying having to explain that to 40 people on my way into the wally world.

Ponch ®

Quote from: ChargerBill on December 15, 2005, 04:19:14 PM

man, I like to help whenever I can, but O_C aint exaggerating. Go to Walmart on any given sunday afternoon, and there will be at least 5 or 6 people asking for charity or to sign some kind of petition to put a measure on the ballot that will save the rare one eyed eel. I mean...at what point do you say "aight...i think i gave what I could".   

ChargerBill

Quote from: Ponch on December 15, 2005, 04:19:52 PM
One morning I gave a wino $3 (basically all the cash I had in my pockets) because he came up to me and said "look man...I came to the bar last night. I got pretty wasted and spent all of my money. I passed out on the curb and now I don't have any money for the bus ride home". I appreciated his honesty.

Yeah, I've heard that same story somewhere else before... But you really can't think that that's the ONLY reason people ever get strapped for money. What about the Iron worker who's plant just got closed and has 3 kids to feed? What about the Katrina victim?

I understand the apprehension about where the money goes...so research before you give, but don't stop giving and don't lump all charities into the same category.
Life is a highway...