News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone taking part in the Target ban?

Started by bull, December 13, 2005, 11:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

my73charger

Knock it off OC...check it out before you act like a smartass...

Orange_Crush

Quote from: my73charger on December 14, 2005, 09:34:49 AM
Knock it off OC...check it out before you act like a smartass...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/sallyann.asp

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/targetxmas.asp

Not being a smartass, just asking that before you take the word of someone (who may or may not have a hidden agenda) you check the facts for yourself.

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

my73charger

Thats why I asked the question in the first place...so that somebody would check it out.... then you come back with Target...French...wha...urb...bla bla bla....

Orange_Crush

Quote from: my73charger on December 14, 2005, 09:46:41 AM
Thats why I asked the question in the first place...so that somebody would check it out.... then you come back with Target...French...wha...urb...bla bla bla....

I mentioned the French thing because a while back there was a rumor circulating that Target was a French company (back when everyone was hatin' onthe French).  They're no, BTW.  They're based in Minnesota.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Shakey

When in doubt check snopes - the truth is online!   ::)

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: 70charginglizard on December 14, 2005, 12:51:01 AM
Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 13, 2005, 12:16:58 PM
My personal policy is:

"If the AFA is boycotting it, I will double the amount of money I spend there."

BTW, look at the amount of money that Target gives to various charities every year.

Exactly, and they benifit the local communities you never hear about Wallmart doing that.

You need to get out more. We have a Walmart distribution center in my town. They are excellent neighbors. They donate materials and cash to the schools and are very involved in any town events.

MichaelRW

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on December 14, 2005, 10:07:49 AM
Quote from: 70charginglizard on December 14, 2005, 12:51:01 AM
Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 13, 2005, 12:16:58 PM
My personal policy is:

"If the AFA is boycotting it, I will double the amount of money I spend there."

BTW, look at the amount of money that Target gives to various charities every year.

Exactly, and they benifit the local communities you never hear about Wallmart doing that.

You need to get out more. We have a Walmart distribution center in my town. They are excellent neighbors. They donate materials and cash to the schools and are very involved in any town events.

Yes, Walmart contributes a lot of money to local organizations, supports our troops, etc., for more detail here's a link: http://www.walmartfoundation.org/wmstore/goodworks/scripts/index.jsp
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Ponch ®

Quote from: Shakey on December 14, 2005, 07:15:20 AM

So, tell us about some wet hot virgins that you met in your recent adventures in plastic land!   Don't forget the pics!     :icon_smile_big:   I think we're all done bitchin' about Target and religon!

Virgins in Plastic Land? Dude, you might as well ask me to tell you about the black guy at a Merle Haggard concert.... ;D

Actually I do know of one, but I let Vainglory handle that. :icon_smile_evil:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

TK73

Quote from: Shakey on December 14, 2005, 09:53:49 AM

How about; when in doubt, do some research before e-mailing everybody on your contacts list and posting faulty assumptions on public discussion boards...

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Ponch ®

Quote from: TK73 on December 14, 2005, 02:36:44 PM
When in doubt check snopes - the truth is online!     ::)

How about; when in doubt, do some research before e-mailing everybody on your contacts list and posting faulty assumptions on public discussion boards...

Are you saying that I'm not really getting a million dollars from Bill Gates for forwarding an e-mail telling people not to buy gas on a certain day to boycott the oil companies because some kid is going to die of cancer?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Afflyer

Didn't Target pull this same lame stunt for the past two years?
???
Bradley
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TK73

Quote from: Ponch on December 14, 2005, 03:02:04 PM

Are you saying that I'm not really getting a million dollars from Bill Gates for forwarding an e-mail telling people not to buy gas on a certain day to boycott the oil companies because some kid is going to die of cancer?

OOOOOOO, can I borrow some money when you get it??

Ponch ®

Quote from: TK73 on December 14, 2005, 03:16:57 PM
Quote from: Ponch on December 14, 2005, 03:02:04 PM
When in doubt check snopes - the truth is online!     ::)

OOOOOOO, can I borrow some money when you get it??

sorry, not with the holidays coming up. But I assure you that as soon as this other deal I got going with a nice gentleman from Nigeria goes through, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

73dodge

Target BAN???

I use Silhouettes for my target practice should I switch to the circle targets? Or should I just switch to tin cans.

I also use a 9mm for target practice should I switch to a shotgun because that's not a target type weapon?

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

69_500

Its funny to read what some people on this board think. I don't see how even if you consider yourself a non-Christian, or a Hindu, or any other religion, that you wouldn't look back at HISTORY and see that yes this Country was founded on CHRISTIAN VALUES, MORALS, ETHICS, and BELIEFS. So yes we are ONE COUNTRY UNDER GOD. Now are we still this today? NO. And you'll see in the future that if the country continues down the path that it is currently on, of pushing God aside, and doing everything towards the praising of man. You will see this country rapidly fall from the spotlight in the eyes of the world. We have been blessed with being one of the richest nations, lowest starvation rates, great trade, military might. But I tell you this, if this country continues to turn its back on GOD, it won't remain on top for long.

Shakey

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

71Charger500

Quote from: Vainglory on December 13, 2005, 12:46:08 PM
I'm pirating this from another thread (thanks bull):

Quotewe just want you to sit down and shut your mouth if you don't like the Pledge of Allegiance. Or simply close your mouth and skip the beat that includes the words "under God" and leave the rest of us alone. These knuckleheads really do think there's a conspiracy to control their minds, don't they?

As regards Target, they would like Christmas celebrators to sit down and shut their mouths if they don't like the fact that the word Christmas doesn't appear.  

Or perhaps TARGET should sit down and shut their mouths if they don't like the fact the word Christmas does appear?
1971 Charger 500 383 mod...
Takin' names on the open road.

TK73

2fast4u

Man Mojo....you really crack me up!  some of the stuff you say just kills me.....I got tears runnin' down my face from all the laughin'!!!!

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Orange_Crush

Orange_Crush

Quote from: 69_500 on December 14, 2005, 05:27:31 PM
Its funny to read what some people on this board think. I don't see how even if you consider yourself a non-Christian, or a Hindu, or any other religion, that you wouldn't look back at HISTORY and see that yes this Country was founded on CHRISTIAN VALUES, MORALS, ETHICS, and BELIEFS. So yes we are ONE COUNTRY UNDER GOD. Now are we still this today? NO. And you'll see in the future that if the country continues down the path that it is currently on, of pushing God aside, and doing everything towards the praising of man. You will see this country rapidly fall from the spotlight in the eyes of the world. We have been blessed with being one of the richest nations, lowest starvation rates, great trade, military might. But I tell you this, if this country continues to turn its back on GOD, it won't remain on top for long.

Wrong.

The founding fathers of this nation were, in large part, Deists.  Deists are not Christians.

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, and Ethan Allen were all deists.

Here are a few good quotes for you.

"The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy."
-George Washington

First Amendment: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...”

Treaty of Tripoli, Article 11: Written during the Administration of George Washington and signed into law by John Adams. 
“The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”

Letter to John Adams from Thomas Jefferson, April 11, 1823
"One day the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in the United States will tear down the artificial scaffolding of Christianity. And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."

Letter to William Bradford, from James Madison April 1, 1774:
"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise"

Ethan Allen From Religion of the American Enlightenment:
“Denominated a Deist, the reality of which I have never disputed, being conscious that I am no Christian.”

Shakey

73dodge

QuoteWrong.

The founding fathers of this nation were, in large part, Deists.  Deists are not Christians.

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, and Ethan Allen were all deists.

Here are a few good quotes for you.

"The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy."
-George Washington

Here's the last paragraph from a farewell letter GW wrote to the govenors of the 13 colonies on the retirement of his service to the country.

"I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in his holy protection, that he would incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to Government, to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for their brethren who have served in the Field, and finally, that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all, to do Justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that Charity, humility and pacific temper of mind, which were the Characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy Nation."

“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.”
--George Washington in a speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs May 12, 1779

The Hand of providence has been so conspicuous in all this, that he must be worse than an infidel that lacks faith, and more than wicked, that has not gratitude enough to acknowledge his obligations.
George Washington's letter of August 20, 1778 to Brig. General Thomas Nelson, in John C. Fitzpatrick, editor, The Writings of George Washington, Vol. XII (Washinton: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1932), p. 343.

sounds pretty Christian to me.....

QuoteFirst Amendment: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...”

"or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" seems everyone forgets the second part of this and if a person who works for the government are you saying they are not allowed to be guided by their relgious convictions at work? Or do we have to check our religion at the door of our schools, public buildings or businesses? seems to me free exercise means where ever and whenever.

QuoteTreaty of Tripoli, Article 11: Written during the Administration of George Washington and signed into law by John Adams. 
“The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”

I'll post the rest of the article so we can see the context he was making this statement about.

ARTICLE 11.

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

In other words he was saying the GOVERNMENT WAS NOT FOUNDED ON ANY PARTICULAR RELIGION he was not saying our country was NOT founded on religious principles.

QuoteLetter to John Adams from Thomas Jefferson, April 11, 1823
"One day the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in the United States will tear down the artificial scaffolding of Christianity. And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."

Read the whole letter it's right here and as you can see he was answering a question in regards to the doctrine of Calvin and Calvinism. He goes on to say in this letter that  "On the contrary I hold (without appeal to revelation) that when we take a view of the Universe, in it's parts general or particular, it is impossible for the human mind not to percieve and feel a conviction of design, consummate skill, and indefinite power in every atom of it's composition. The movements of the heavenly bodies, so exactly held in their course by the balance of centrifugal and centripetal forces, the structure of our earth itself, with it's distribution of lands, waters and atmosphere, animal and vegetable bodies, examined in all their minutest particles, insects mere atoms of life, yet as perfectly organised as man or mammoth, the mineral substances, their generation and uses, it is impossible, I say, for the human mind not to believe that there is, in all this, design, cause and effect, up to an ultimate cause, a fabricator of all things from matter and motion, their preserver and regulator while permitted to exist in their present forms, and their regenerator into new and other forms."

I guess he did not believe in evolution too.

The whole thing is here

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/jefferson_adams.html

QuoteLetter to William Bradford, from James Madison April 1, 1774:
"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise"

Here he was refering to a case being brought before a counsel not about what this country was founded upon.

The link to the full letter

http://www.constitution.org/jm/17740401_bradford.txt
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!