News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Firewall Flex = Cowl Paint Cracks.

Started by Big Sugar, May 02, 2010, 02:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Sugar

How many of you 66-70 B-Body owners have paint cracks in the cowl at the base of the "A" pillar ? This is an inherant weak spot, I've also got a Crack at the top of the
"A"pillar where it meets the roof Along the door opening. I'm just wondering if anyone has addressed this issue,
     I've installed Subframe connectors,XV motorsports inner fender brace as well as the lower rad support brace, and Auto Rust Tech's Front torque Boxes. in the hopes that this will limit the amout of front end movement. Next I'm installing a new AMD front rad support assembly and possibly XV's engine support brace
There is a OLD school Mopar Guy in Ontario who welds a extra support plate to the insides of the front framerails to help tighten up the flex at the front end  when he's installing Big Blocks in original Small Block Mopars.
I'm thinking this is where tha actuall Flex is coming from as everything else is much lighter in Gauge.
Is this a losing battle ? Cause  tightening up the front end may make other weak spots more apparant ?

I'll post some pics Shortly

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Finn

I have subframe connectors and torque boxes (both welded on) and I'm still getting the paint crack. Should be noted that it is only on the side I removed the lead and used some fiberglass body filler stuff (which was suppose to alleviate the cracking problem from flex ::)).

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

elacruze

Both sides are cracked on mine. The body guy took the panel off to find out why, but nothing was under there either. It was a 318 auto car, and was cracked when I got it in 1980. It may have more to do with Dirt-Road Duking than with engine power. Just a guess.

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Charger-Bodie

Some of the time its not so much about flex in that spot as it is rust under the lead used to smooth that seam. The rust builds up under the lead, bubbles it up, and eventually it cracks.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

terrible one

Wow, you learn something new every day! I always wondered what this was. I have these same "cracks" but the portion is raised and kind of follows 1HotDaytonas theory.

vancamp

i had a 66 satellite that cracked in that same area, it ws an actual crack under the lead welded it up releaded and added frame connectors from u.s. cartool

Patronus

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on May 11, 2010, 08:56:22 PM
Some of the time its not so much about flex in that spot as it is rust under the lead used to smooth that seam. The rust builds up under the lead, bubbles it up, and eventually it cracks.
agreed..., dig it out a little and you may find its the lead cracking off, not the sheet metal. Mine had quite the depression after prep. work.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on May 11, 2010, 08:56:22 PM

Yep what he said. :popcrn:  I would also question the quality of the metal because my sons Challenger had cracks in the floor,cowl,and some bolt on parts
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser