News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Still for sale... and still the ugliest Charger I've seen

Started by 471_Magnum, April 30, 2010, 06:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Quote from: Darkman on April 30, 2010, 06:14:30 PM
You guys crack me up! One minute you guys say "it's your car do what you want with it", then when someone does, you attack them.

There's a big difference between gawdy work on a personal car and gawdy work on a car being pushed on Ebay with a $150k price tag. In the first example you're doing what you want and to hell with the opinions of others. In the second example you're trying to get someone to approve of your gawdy creation and then hand you a crapload of money.

Black Charger

Just to clarify. I have nothing against customized cars. In fact, I have seen some customized cars of ALL makes that I would love to own. Not to start a Boyd vs. Foose argument here, but the late Boyd Coddington's creations are what I would consider to be fantastic customs. I like them because they are a perfect example of how to do a custom car without making it gaudy. If you notice, when Boyd's crew did a '55 Chevy, it still looked like a '55 Chevy when they were done with it, complete with all of the chrome and trim.

I lost ALL respect for Foose during an episode of Overhaulin' where he took a perfectly nice 1971 Challenger R/T in Sassy Grass Green (or is it Green Go?) and made it unbelievably gaudy. I would have been severely pissed off if that had been my car. Foose may have won awards, but the fact is, he took a perfectly good Challenger R/T and completely ruined it.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Black Charger on May 01, 2010, 02:12:23 AM
Just to clarify. I have nothing against customized cars. In fact, I have seen some customized cars of ALL makes that I would love to own. Not to start a Boyd vs. Foose argument here, but the late Boyd Coddington's creations are what I would consider to be fantastic customs. I like them because they are a perfect example of how to do a custom car without making it gaudy. If you notice, when Boyd's crew did a '55 Chevy, it still looked like a '55 Chevy when they were done with it, complete with all of the chrome and trim.

I lost ALL respect for Foose during an episode of Overhaulin' where he took a perfectly nice 1971 Challenger R/T in Sassy Grass Green (or is it Green Go?) and made it unbelievably gaudy. I would have been severely pissed off if that had been my car. Foose may have won awards, but the fact is, he took a perfectly good Challenger R/T and completely ruined it.

Apparently the owner didn't like it either. http://www.classiccarsglobal.com/ad.asp?ad=004277#mainContent

surmanajaja

always when I see this car, it reminds me of old Opel´s;

http://www.hellfish.org/~juho/klubi/julkinen/naytaauto.php?id=64

definitely doesn´t look better now than when it was still stock :brickwall:

Ghoste

People are free to do what they want to a car.  We are also free to express our like or dislike for it.

tan top

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 01, 2010, 02:48:24 AM
Quote from: Black Charger on May 01, 2010, 02:12:23 AM

Apparently the owner didn't like it either. http://www.classiccarsglobal.com/ad.asp?ad=004277#mainContent

remember watching that show ! looked a real nice challenger before chip & his mob wrecked it :yesnod: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Black Charger

I was just reading the description of that Challenger and I noticed that it was ONE FAMILY OWNED!! A nice original car with a solid history...butchered. Whoever appraised that monstrosity at $295,000 needs to put the crack pipe down.

SFRT

BUT IT WUZ ON THE TEE VEE BOX!

i swear to god those stupid tv shows and goofy auctions have ruined everything.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: tan top on May 01, 2010, 09:31:39 AM

remember watching that show ! looked a real nice challenger before chip & his mob wrecked it :yesnod: 

Obviously can't tell without seeing inside of it too but, yes it looked like a very very clean car.

Quote from: Black Charger on May 01, 2010, 09:33:48 AM
I was just reading the description of that Challenger and I noticed that it was ONE FAMILY OWNED!! A nice original car with a solid history...butchered. Whoever appraised that monstrosity at $295,000 needs to put the crack pipe down.

Yeah, I read that and laughed and cried at the same time.  I won't even say anything about the nutjob appraisal but I will about it being a one owner.  The guy probably got his car back from Foose, tried to make due with it for a couple months then realised it just wasn't the same and that he'd be better off(get this folks) BUYING ANOTHER ONE AND RESTORING IT AGAIN, the right way.  Chip took an unrestored car, made it unrestorable and then gave this steaming pile of shit back to the guy.  Obviously they don't even get to know these people one bit as if this was an original owner the guy must be an older gentleman.  So why the hell would you give him Donk rims a ricer paintjob and flaming green seats?  Oh yea, because its all for ratings.  Its for the people that are watching, not the people that have to live with the damn thing.

Quote from: SFRT on May 01, 2010, 11:08:40 AM
BUT IT WUZ ON THE TEE VEE BOX!

i swear to god those stupid tv shows and goofy auctions have ruined everything.

People buy anything that's on TV nowadays.  If its not on TV its "lame" or uncool.  I think I'm going to make my charger into a rat car to rebel hehehe(the spelling correction for this is Heehaw, I laughed).  No but seriously, I don't watch TV it takes peoples sanity away and turns it into pop culture trends.

mauve66

remember that all of these people have asked to have their cars done, Foose didn't TAKE the car, they gave it to him

what they forget about is the insurance and care needed after its done to maintain its value, more than half of the overhaulin cars have been sold just so they could make money or becuase they couldn't afford to take proper care of the car

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 01, 2010, 04:57:29 PM

Yeah, I read that and laughed and cried at the same time.  I won't even say anything about the nutjob appraisal but I will about it being a one owner.  The guy probably got his car back from Foose, tried to make due with it for a couple months then realised it just wasn't the same and that he'd be better off(get this folks) BUYING ANOTHER ONE AND RESTORING IT AGAIN, the right way.  Chip took an unrestored car, made it unrestorable and then gave this steaming pile of shit back to the guy.  Obviously they don't even get to know these people one bit as if this was an original owner the guy must be an older gentleman.  So why the hell would you give him Donk rims a ricer paintjob and flaming green seats?  Oh yea, because its all for ratings.  Its for the people that are watching, not the people that have to live with the damn thing.

how is it not "restorable"?? i've seen cars with just a roof and doors on here that end up being someones pride and joy

Foose was right when he said that mopar people are rabid about their vehicles being stock, thats why he doesn't like doing them, the purpose of a CUSTOM car is that its not gonna be STOCK

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mauve66

restore it AGAIN??  he never "restored" the car in the first place

do you even know what a "DONK" rim is?? those aren't even close
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Todd Wilson

They need to paint it orange and put 01 on the side and the stars & bars up top!

Todd

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Darkman

Quote from: mauve66 on May 01, 2010, 05:11:16 PM
remember that all of these people have asked to have their cars done, Foose didn't TAKE the car, they gave it to him

what they forget about is the insurance and care needed after its done to maintain its value, more than half of the overhaulin cars have been sold just so they could make money or becuase they couldn't afford to take proper care of the car

how is it not "restorable"?? i've seen cars with just a roof and doors on here that end up being someones pride and joy

Foose was right when he said that mopar people are rabid about their vehicles being stock, thats why he doesn't like doing them, the purpose of a CUSTOM car is that its not gonna be STOCK

When it comes to Foose, that's my point exactly! I would love Foose to get his hands on my 68 Charger!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

TylerCharger69

Well...there are a few things i like....the engine bay, and the custom interior is cool....but the outside of the car looks like a cross between a turd and pig vomit.  And those wheels  are God-awful!!!   I think even Chip Foose would say....."Damn that's ugly" 

Ghoste

Quote from: mauve66 on May 01, 2010, 05:11:16 PM

Foose was right when he said that mopar people are rabid about their vehicles being stock, thats why he doesn't like doing them,

That's because they were pretty much perfect when they left the factory. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: mauve66 on May 01, 2010, 05:14:03 PM
restore it AGAIN??  he never "restored" the car in the first place

Well you're right about that.  

You do realize me calling them Donk rims was sarcasm correct?  I didn't mean to get your twat in a knot by my comment but I'll be honest.  I don't like the car.  I'm appreciative he kept at least one remnant of the car with the go green top but the rest is absolutely ridiculous.  He didn't even keep the original engine either, unless it didn't have it to begin with.

When I said it was un-restorable I mean quite simply that for the man that acquired his car back it is un-restorable.  The mods that Chip and the gang did to the car are not easily reversible without a large amount of money which, obviously this guy does not have or else he wouldn't be on Overhaulin'!

Now I know people knowingly give their cars to Chip with the hopes that he will churn out a somewhat nice ride but for me, this is a large disappointment for the amount of money invested.

Your comment on over half of the people selling their cars after the show is actually quite funny.  So half of the people hate this guys work just as much as I do!  Hilarious!
The comment about insurance costs and maintenance is off base and not in the least bit factual(in court called hearsay) unless you have talked to all of these people.  So till then we can both be right, I think they hate them, you think they can't afford them.  Either way I won't be sending my Charger to Foose anytime soon I know that for sure, even if I did have the cash.

Darkman

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on May 01, 2010, 07:09:23 PM
Well...there are a few things i like....the engine bay, and the custom interior is cool....but the outside of the car looks like a cross between a turd and pig vomit.  And those wheels  are God-awful!!!   I think even Chip Foose would say....."Damn that's ugly

:2thumbs:
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Black Charger

Actually, the Challenger's owner didn't hand the car over to Foose, the guy's wife did. If you remember the episode, the Challenger's owner gave up a job that he loved that was in the area he grew up in, and he moved away from his family and friends so his wife could pursue HER dream. Then she repays him by handing his car over to Foose to be turned into a steaming pile of shit. If you read the for sale ad, it says that uncontrollable circumstances forces the sale of this car. I wonder if the guy finally had enough of her and got a divorce. :cheers:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Black Charger on May 02, 2010, 12:06:27 AM
Actually, the Challenger's owner didn't hand the car over to Foose, the guy's wife did. If you remember the episode, the Challenger's owner gave up a job that he loved that was in the area he grew up in, and he moved away from his family and friends so his wife could pursue HER dream. Then she repays him by handing his car over to Foose to be turned into a steaming pile of shit. If you read the for sale ad, it says that uncontrollable circumstances forces the sale of this car. I wonder if the guy finally had enough of her and got a divorce. :cheers:

Actually I knew them well - I worked on that Challenger after filming to correct a lot of small problems with it - I built a 440 for it to replace the tired 383...     

The challenger was indeed a nice car - I would have loved to own it - the only thing i think was overdone was the interior...      the wheels were a tad big but still -  great car overall

He was indeed going through a divorce...      :'(
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 02, 2010, 02:50:44 AM

Actually I knew them well - I worked on that Challenger after filming to correct a lot of small problems with it - I built a 440 for it to replace the tired 383...     

The challenger was indeed a nice car - I would have loved to own it - the only thing i think was overdone was the interior...      the wheels were a tad big but still -  great car overall

Well that's no good at all  :rotz:

Black Charger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 02, 2010, 02:50:44 AM

How did that car wind up in St. Louis? That is a LONG way from California. Is the STL area where the couple decided to move to? My biggest problem with the whole thing was they took a nice original car and transformed it. I have seen some of the cars that Foose has done on the show and some of them were little more than clapped-out shells of a car. I can totally understand making a wild custom out of those, but to take a car that was already nice to begin with just doesn't sit well with me (and a lot of others as well).

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

mauve66

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 01, 2010, 09:27:46 PM
Quote from: mauve66 on May 01, 2010, 05:14:03 PM
restore it AGAIN??  he never "restored" the car in the first place

Well you're right about that. 

You do realize me calling them Donk rims was sarcasm correct?  I didn't mean to get your twat in a knot by my comment but I'll be honest.  I don't like the car.  I'm appreciative he kept at least one remnant of the car with the go green top but the rest is absolutely ridiculous.  He didn't even keep the original engine either, unless it didn't have it to begin with.

When I said it was un-restorable I mean quite simply that for the man that acquired his car back it is un-restorable.  The mods that Chip and the gang did to the car are not easily reversible without a large amount of money which, obviously this guy does not have or else he wouldn't be on Overhaulin'!

Now I know people knowingly give their cars to Chip with the hopes that he will churn out a somewhat nice ride but for me, this is a large disappointment for the amount of money invested.

Your comment on over half of the people selling their cars after the show is actually quite funny.  So half of the people hate this guys work just as much as I do!  Hilarious!
The comment about insurance costs and maintenance is off base and not in the least bit factual(in court called hearsay) unless you have talked to all of these people.  So till then we can both be right, I think they hate them, you think they can't afford them.  Either way I won't be sending my Charger to Foose anytime soon I know that for sure, even if I did have the cash.

they did do an investigative show on the previous owners, and the biggest thing is the insurance costs and the fact that they were afraid to drive them due to value (MUCH LIKE ALOT OF THE TRAILER QUEEN MOPAR CROWD) also some of those people were living in apartments and the cars were parked on the street, they have no way to secure a $100K car properly.
wasn't part of the gig that his son had raced (for pinks) and wrecked his challenger and the winner of the race wanted his dads for payment??  so the whole family was in on it. 

you don't honestly believe your wife/family would just take your car out of the blue and send it to Foose unless YOU made a comment about wanting to be on the show do you??

yes everyone has a right to their opinion but damn, just say ya don't like it, to say its "a steaming pile of shit" is just ridiculous
there will be 20+ Go-Green Challengers at every major car show, why have another one that looks just like the one next to it??
i don't think there is one car he's done that i agree with the wheel choice or other smaller parts of the car, but to degrade a man's life work based on a couple of mopars you think should be "RESTORED back to original" is whats ridiculous
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

471_Magnum

Back my original post, the Charger is f**kin' ugly.

That car didn't get hit by the ugly stick, it ran into the ugly tree at 60 mph head on... and then turned around at backed into it.

The creators wanted to use this car as their calling card. I hope it worked as a warning to any potential future customers.

Not sure how this got turned into an anti-Foose thread. Like him or not, at least he doesn't chop up a car's original body lines like these hacks did.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."