News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my 68 charger

Started by jobbless, May 01, 2010, 05:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobbless

well i picked my charger up last year. after looking for quite some time for a car that was not completely rotted out. after driving to michigan to look at a car that was supposed to be nice for 10K that i was borrowing money to buy. and it was junk. and driving to new jersey with a trailer to buy another. i couldn't understand why everyone had to lie about the condition of their car. like i was going to save my money forever, just to blow it on some random rusted incomplete pile. i was getting so frustrated that i was considering buying a 69 or 70, though i wanted a 68.  anyway this went on for years.

anyway on to my 68's story. i found it on craigslist in missouri using the search tempest. the car was listed for $3500. and i couldn't believe it you i don't see complete cars without giant holes in them for that much money. so i proceed to write the guy i think it was 13 times that day. and like the 4th e-mail i said i would give him $4000 if he gave me a day to make it down there. i think i was 14 hours away. i figured if i was going to make the trip. $500 was not that much money to ensure that i would have a shot at the car. well, he called and said he had almost 100 e-mails from people that said that they would come and get it right now, for the asking price. and i was the only person who offered more. so i am the only one he called.

as it turns out i am the third owner. and the fellow i bought it from got it from his dad, who bought it new. at least that is my understanding. and it originally came from wisconsin they brought it when they moved. oh and has 70k original miles.

shortly after i picked the car up. i was in a motorcycle accident.  i am ok now but i was off work for 2 months. so all the extra money i had saved for the car, went to more pressing issues. but i have not given up. i finally saved enough money to order most of the stuff i need to fix her up. and i already have the 440 and 4 speed. and i recently picked up the 4 speed pedal assembly.
68 charger parts needed.
Radio bezel
Tail panel trim
4 speed console
Tail lights

jobbless

A PIC OK
68 charger parts needed.
Radio bezel
Tail panel trim
4 speed console
Tail lights

Ryan

nice score man. Was it running and drivable for $3.500?
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Silver R/T

that's 'helluva' deal man! Post more pics
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BIGBLCK11

WOW!  That was a steal of a deal, you don't come across buys like that much.  A very lucky thing you added the $500!   Nice job.

jobbless

all i have done to the car is put exhaust manifold gaskets, and 15' wheels and tires on it. it is going to need upper ball joints and a sway bar mount in the front.  

it was crashed in the drivers rear. i have to put a full quarter, tail panel and trunk floor in it. and the right fender was crashed also. so i ordered all that stuff from amd. the quarter they put on is nice but they did a real bad job...

all my pics are too big. how do i fix this??  ahhhhh i figured it out...
68 charger parts needed.
Radio bezel
Tail panel trim
4 speed console
Tail lights

tan top

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on May 01, 2010, 06:02:32 PM
WOW!  That was a steal of a deal, you don't come across buys like that much.  A very lucky thing you added the $500!   Nice job.

:iagree:   looks pretty original & well straight from the pictures  :yesnod:  awesome deal by the looks of it  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jobbless

like i said i looked for awhile. like 5 years for an affordable decent car. this car has no roof rot. and the floors and subrails are mint. just a bit of rust in the trunk. above the new gas tank that they had already installed. so like i said i have to change the left quarter, tail panel, valance and trunk floor. i was thinking of just fixing the issues and painting the car. now i am thinking i want tear it all down. blast it and do it completely. i am torn. i am sure i will not sell it ever. i want to change the color. not like the car is anything special. and i would hate to have to do it again later. but i would hate not to be able to drive the car for a year or forever. if i do not have the money or time to complete it.
68 charger parts needed.
Radio bezel
Tail panel trim
4 speed console
Tail lights

HollyWoodCharger

Nice Find at a very good Price!  :2thumbs:  :coolgleamA:

Topher

Hell, just DRIVE IT!!!! If it's solid, and you fix the minor stuff enjoy it for a summer or 3 then tear it apart if you like.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

HITMAN 149

congrats!!!!!!!!  :cheers:
ive had my 68 r/t for OVER 3 yrs... been at my Ex buddy's shop for OVER 3YRS!!!! and i wish i would have just done some little stuff and enjoyed all that time!!! so just enjoy it and do lil stuff as you go along!!!!
goood luck!!!
:cheers:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

vancamp

elacruze

After that much time spent looking, I say fix the mechanicals and drive on! I had my car for way too many years, telling myself I'll get to it...didn't drive it when I had the chance. Now I look at all the lost time...Summer's coming too!
Get the road gear straight, throw some Turtle Wax on it and go 'till winter!
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

FlatbackFanatic

Nice looking car!! Ya, just drive it, fix a little here and there. And have fun. I've had mine 10 years, it was a driver when I got it. I just fixed what a could as i went, I just need to get it painted. :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

Bob T

Quote from: FlatbackFanatic on May 01, 2010, 11:20:20 PM
Nice looking car!! Ya, just drive it, fix a little here and there. And have fun. I've had mine 10 years, it was a driver when I got it. I just fixed what a could as i went, I just need to get it painted. :2thumbs:

Exactly, get some fun miles in first if you can before you take it off the road for the major work to be done.
Good score too  :2thumbs:
Cheers Bob
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Bob T on May 02, 2010, 05:10:52 AM
Quote from: FlatbackFanatic on May 01, 2010, 11:20:20 PM

Exactly, get some fun miles in first if you can before you take it off the road for the major work to be done.
Good score too  :2thumbs:
Cheers Bob

I third that motion, been there done that, drive it for at least this year and enjoy it. Also you might change your mind on what you want to do to it or whatever color you want now. :2thumbs:.  Excellent deal by the way. I'd guess 6K or so for it.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

aone415

WOW!  Nice deal... heck of a come up on a great 68... Good luck on the build!

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

69*F5*SE

Very cool find.  Very good deal.   :2thumbs:

jobbless

i have to fix the body, and at least put the 440 in it. although the 4 speed would make it all that much cooler. i have driven it. i like it, just that its not all that much fun.     
68 charger parts needed.
Radio bezel
Tail panel trim
4 speed console
Tail lights