News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Horn questions on a 69.

Started by jeryst, April 29, 2010, 11:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeryst

I bought a 69 Charger last year. Survivor in pretty good shape.

The horn doesnt work, and the inspection is due, so I started to look into it.

There are two wires, taped off, and tied to one of the horns. I bared the wires and touched one of them to one of the horns. It instantly blared.
I touched it to the other horn, and it worked as well, so both of the horns work.

I touched the other wire to the horn, and got nothing. I attached the wire to the horn, and pressed the horn button on the steering wheel. Nothing.

The horn button on the steering wheel has good spring back and is not sloppy or loose. It does not seem to have any dead spots.

So my question is, what could it be? I'm not at all familiar with any intricacies of horn wiring. Is is possible that even though the horn
button feels good, it may be shorting out causing the horn to blow and thats why the previous owner removed the wires.

Is there some type of relay that controls the horns that can be replaced?

Other thing to note, the wires were not simply removed from the horn, because the spades are no longer on the wires, and they are not on
the horns either. If the horn started blowing and the wires were ripped off, you would think the spades would have been left on the horns.
Or you would think the wires would have just been disconnected by pulling the spades off. The horns are in very nice shape with no rust or
corrosion at all.

Any suggestions?

Nacho-RT74

up to 69 they got a relay mounted on Radiator core support. They get two wires, one black what drives ground horn switch, and one violet spliced from alternator stud ( oviouslly, the positive source ). Horn switch at wheel closes circuit at relay to power the horns

Then the output Green traced red wire running to horns, driving positive. Horns gets ground by chassis.

Check for those signals on wires, and be sure you get right plugged into relay ( Violet wire B prong, black wire S prong, Green traced red H prong )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html