News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

In America it's English, learn it.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, April 28, 2010, 08:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Quote from: bull on May 20, 2010, 10:57:15 AM
One thing that's very scary to me is that we've spend 14 pages debating something that everyone knows is common sense. Everyone knows that when you move to another country that you can and should learn the common language there for the good of yourself and the people who live there. Why is it even a question? Why is there a debate? It's very telling about the state of the mentality and ethics of the US right now.

could not agree with you more, let alone the aspect of financial responsibility to be put on the taxpayers shoulders for unwanted residency of people who do not care about that concept at all.  they are getting what they want, to hell with the rest of the U.S.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Nacho-RT74

the problem is began on a language deal, and was ending on inmigration, so mostly the discussion is based on last. The only "debate" of what I posted at least is just the political use what I already posted my opinion, but I'm agreed on the english must be the language
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

MOPAR FANATIC

WEE WEE peepe lepew, lol
anyone speak lithuanian here,  :lol:

chargergirl

Quote from: bull on May 20, 2010, 10:57:15 AM
One thing that's very scary to me is that we've spend 14 pages debating something that everyone knows is common sense. Everyone knows that when you move to another country that you can and should learn the common language there for the good of yourself and the people who live there. Why is it even a question? Why is there a debate? It's very telling about the state of the mentality and ethics of the US right now.
AMEN!
Trust your Woobie!

Shakey

Lithuanian eh....

I met Oksana at a trade exhibition in Belgium last year.  She was originally from Lithuania and had emigrated to Italy.  She speaks fluent Italian as well as English.  Their exhibit, the company she works for, was right across the aisle from ours and everyday at 2:00 PM they would open 2 -3 bottles of Prosseco and we would enjoy a few glasses with our colleagues and customers.  Great way to break up the day.

Khyron

I know of a way I could keep her in this country  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:   ;) ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bull

Very interesting. It seems that California's current immigration laws look strikingly familiar to the one they're protesting in Arizona. :scratchchin:

Have a look at item 834b: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=833-851.90

RD

The only difference is that in California, you actually have to ARREST the person before you are allowed to question their immigration status.  So, if a cop pulls someone over for speeding and they are unable to provide the necessary documents to show proof to citizenship or legal entry into the United States, then they will be arrested and then handed over to the USIMAN (hypothetically speaking).  Arizona states that if someone is suspected of being illegal after a stop based upon possible criminal activity, then they get arrested and handed over to USIMAN.

IS THERE REALLY A DIFFERENCE HERE?  NOPE... ONE STATE IS WILLING TO ENFORCE THEIR OWN LAW, AND THE OTHER STATE IS WILLING TO IGNORE THEIR OWN LAW.   

Quote834b.  (a) Every law enforcement agency in California shall fully
cooperate with the United States Immigration and Naturalization
Service regarding any person who is arrested if he or she is
suspected of being present in the United States in violation of
federal immigration laws.
   (b) With respect to any such person who is arrested, and suspected
of being present in the United States in violation of federal
immigration laws, every law enforcement agency shall do the
following:
   (1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen
of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent
resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time
or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of
immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not
be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and
place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding
documentation to indicate his or her legal status.
   (2) Notify the person of his or her apparent status as an alien
who is present in the United States in violation of federal
immigration laws and inform him or her that, apart from any criminal
justice proceedings, he or she must either obtain legal status or
leave the United States.
   (3) Notify the Attorney General of California and the United
States Immigration and Naturalization Service of the apparent illegal
status and provide any additional information that may be requested
by any other public entity.
   (c) Any legislative, administrative, or other action by a city,
county, or other legally authorized local governmental entity with
jurisdictional boundaries, or by a law enforcement agency, to prevent
or limit the cooperation required by subdivision (a) is expressly
prohibited.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

hemi68charger

Quote from: RD on May 20, 2010, 06:25:50 PM
The only difference is that in California, you actually have to ARREST the person before you are allowed to question their immigration status.  So, if a cop pulls someone over for speeding and they are unable to provide the necessary documents to show proof to citizenship or legal entry into the United States, then they will be arrested and then handed over to the USIMAN (hypothetically speaking).  Arizona states that if someone is suspected of being illegal after a stop based upon possible criminal activity, then they get arrested and handed over to USIMAN.

IS THERE REALLY A DIFFERENCE HERE?  NOPE... ONE STATE IS WILLING TO ENFORCE THEIR OWN LAW, AND THE OTHER STATE IS WILLING TO IGNORE THEIR OWN LAW.   

Quote834b.  (a) Every law enforcement agency in California shall fully
cooperate with the United States Immigration and Naturalization
Service regarding any person who is arrested if he or she is
suspected of being present in the United States in violation of
federal immigration laws.
   (b) With respect to any such person who is arrested, and suspected
of being present in the United States in violation of federal
immigration laws, every law enforcement agency shall do the
following:
   (1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen
of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent
resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time
or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of
immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not
be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and
place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding
documentation to indicate his or her legal status.
   (2) Notify the person of his or her apparent status as an alien
who is present in the United States in violation of federal
immigration laws and inform him or her that, apart from any criminal
justice proceedings, he or she must either obtain legal status or
leave the United States.
   (3) Notify the Attorney General of California and the United
States Immigration and Naturalization Service of the apparent illegal
status and provide any additional information that may be requested
by any other public entity.
   (c) Any legislative, administrative, or other action by a city,
county, or other legally authorized local governmental entity with
jurisdictional boundaries, or by a law enforcement agency, to prevent
or limit the cooperation required by subdivision (a) is expressly
prohibited.

SLAM !!!!!!!!    Now, go show that to the US Attorney General....  :smilielol:   (like he doesn't really know)
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

THE STIG

Anybody know of Mexico's immigration laws? If you enter Mexico illegally it's 2 years in prison a second offense is 10 years. But that new Arizona law is just savage.

hemi68charger

Talk about hypocrisy; the US Attorney General can go after BP (justly so), but in the same spirit, they can't enforce immigration law?
:flame:

CNN link to article

(CNN) -- U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday the Justice Department has launched a criminal investigation into the massive oil spill spreading through the Gulf of Mexico.

Holder said the investigation, which began "some weeks ago," would be comprehensive and aggressive. He promised that the federal officials will prosecute anyone who broke the law.

"We have begun both a criminal as well as a civil investigation as is our obligation under the law," Holder said. "We have what we think is a sufficient case to have begun a criminal investigation."
Troy

Ponch ®

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 01, 2010, 06:02:17 PM
Talk about hypocrisy; the US Attorney General can go after BP (justly so), but in the same spirit, they can't enforce immigration law?

(CNN) -- U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday the Justice Department has launched a criminal investigation into the massive oil spill spreading through the Gulf of Mexico.

Holder said the investigation, which began "some weeks ago," would be comprehensive and aggressive. He promised that the federal officials will prosecute anyone who broke the law.

"We have begun both a criminal as well as a civil investigation as is our obligation under the law," Holder said. "We have what we think is a sufficient case to have begun a criminal investigation."

It's not that it can't enforce it, it's that it won't. This BP thing is just a way of making the administration look like it's "doing something about it" just because it's what's in the news.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mike DC

Yeah but nobody dumps 20 million barrels of oil into US waters without getting criminally investigated. 

IMHO it's political spin to praise that decision, and it's political spin to criticize it.

chargergirl

Here's a statement from the front...they need to give the souls who are trying to save the estuaries the equipment, personnel, and attention IMMEDIATELY! BP refused items to the coastal area of LA...they are hardest hit and need stuff NOW not tomorrow after half the wetlands are dead. keep it off the wetlands/estuaries and the beaches will heal.
Trust your Woobie!

RD

Quote from: Ponch ® on June 01, 2010, 06:03:37 PM
It's not that it can't enforce it, it's that it won't. This BP thing is just a way of making the administration look like it's "doing something about it" just because it's what's in the news.

totally agree

chargergirl

Quote from: RD on June 01, 2010, 07:19:06 PM
Before visiting the coast Pres. Obama stated that BP had to drill a mile down and then another mile into the bottom to even attempt the "top kill". He said this like it was new information. Anyone listening to the news knew this 3-4 weeks ago. So we are now in full cover mode.

totally agree
Trust your Woobie!

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 01, 2010, 06:02:17 PM

Ponch, I couldn't agree with you more..........
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargergirl on June 01, 2010, 07:10:27 PM
Here's a statement from the front...they need to give the souls who are trying to save the estuaries the equipment, personnel, and attention IMMEDIATELY! BP refused items to the coastal area of LA...they are hardest hit and need stuff NOW not tomorrow after half the wetlands are dead. keep it off the wetlands/estuaries and the beaches will heal.

The fallacy that BP's not doing 100% is ludicrous. Granted, they are at fault and should pay 100%. There are hundreds of experts from the oil and gas industry here in Houston, not just BP, but from ALL of the majors (and I'm sure Federal experts as well), trying to figure this thing out. From a business point of view, no one has more vested interest in stopping this and cleaning it up than BP. It's business suicide to not try everything, especially since it's such a high visibility thing.

The Fed's should have had contingency plans in place as well.. They (MMS - Minerals Management Service), after all, are the ones who get paid BIG bucks by the oil companies to lease areas (known as lease blocks) to drill into. With that being said, the Federal government should "wait" till BP does something, they should take proactive steps to protect the wetlands, not reactive steps. The Fed's don't need BP's permission to protect things.......
Troy

chargergirl

Somebody needs to be doing something besides placing blame I agree. Just get the stuff to the estuaries! If it's the governments job then it's going to be bad. Sending an attorney instead of, or before, the MMS. Or is the MMS there and have their hands tied because the government is three weeks behind in its info? Either way it's disheartening. Maybe I spent too many years in Biology at UWF.
Trust your Woobie!

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargergirl on June 01, 2010, 07:59:26 PM
... Or is the MMS there and have their hands tied because the government is three weeks behind in its info? Either way it's disheartening. Maybe I spent too many years in Biology at UWF.

From what I have heard, the Coast Guard was well informed about everything from the beginning..... The blame game has gone on way too long as well.. There's enough blame for all... The administration and others are putting on a political dog and pony show as well. BP is the perfect "robber baron" to go after......... What a mess.......
Troy

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ponch ®

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 01, 2010, 06:53:04 PM

Yeah but nobody dumps 20 million barrels of oil into US waters without getting criminally investigated.  

IMHO it's political spin to praise that decision, and it's political spin to criticize it.

Honestly, I don't get that. How do you get criminally investigated for something that can be considered an accident or engineering failure? Seems like there's some allegation of violations to some laws, but unless those violations directly led to the spill, I don't see how it's a 'criminal' situation. To use a car analogy: I got in a car accident a few months ago - I didn't have a front license plate (which is illegal), but that doesn't mean that's what caused the crash and I'm at fault. If it's because of the damage that the spill is causing...well, that's like the city going after me for dumping oil and antifreeze onto the street after the accident.

Sometimes I think America is turning into one of those countries where every time sometime happens, the public isn't satisfied unless there is a scapegoat put in jail. We can't seem to accept that sometimes shit just happens.

BTW - Doesn't this topic deserve it's own thread?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ACUDANUT