News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

In America it's English, learn it.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, April 28, 2010, 08:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Maybe its me, but the more I read this thread, the more pissed off I become :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ponch ®

Quote from: RD on May 06, 2010, 10:22:55 PM
Maybe its me, but the more I read this thread, the more pissed off I become :D

like this guy:

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

RD

um, no... i can spell.. he is an idiot... truly an epic fail.

in his defense, he is asking for everyone to speak english.. not spell it correctly  :nana:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: 451-74Charger on April 29, 2010, 01:35:54 PM
Actually Columbus was Spanish, so technically the USA should be a Spanish speaking nation.

Dude...    Columbus was Italian     :2thumbs:     He sailed for the Spanish because Italy wouldn't pay for his exploration.

Regardless - the generally accepted language here is English...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

RD

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Ponch ® on May 07, 2010, 04:03:26 PM
Quote from: RD on May 07, 2010, 04:01:11 PM
Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 07, 2010, 02:58:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY

I love Samuel L. Jackson.. especially in that movie.  ok.. back to topic :D

"WHAT" ain't no country I ever heard of!
That's the first thing I thought of when I read the topic  :lol: I couldn't resist.

TK73

Quote from: mauve66 on May 06, 2010, 05:40:54 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on May 03, 2010, 01:23:14 PM
No of course two wrongs don't make a right, but it just goes to illustrate how change is inevitable - for better or worse. Sometimes it's just simlply overstated.

thats what they said right before Rome fell also

Did they say it in Latin or English?

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Ponch ®

Quote from: TK73 on May 09, 2010, 10:46:32 AM
Quote from: mauve66 on May 06, 2010, 05:40:54 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on May 03, 2010, 01:23:14 PM
No of course two wrongs don't make a right, but it just goes to illustrate how change is inevitable - for better or worse. Sometimes it's just simlply overstated.

thats what they said right before Rome fell also

Did they say it in Latin or English?

I think that was the least of their worries.

SFRT

I myself am an immigrant to these fair shores. ( born in Spain, Castillian my native tongue) once I hit the US of A  first thing I did was go to a class where they leanred me real good to lose my accent. I had no interest in my 'heritage'..I grew up in europe...its hell. a graveyard. I like the USA.

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ponch ®

Quote from: SFRT on May 10, 2010, 04:30:26 PM
I myself am an immigrant to these fair shores. ( born in Spain, Castillian my native tongue) once I hit the US of A  first thing I did was go to a class where they leanred me real good to lose my accent. I had no interest in my 'heritage'..I grew up in europe...its hell. a graveyard. I like the USA.

Van dos Gallegos caminando por la calle cuando ven un anuncio que dice "Aceros Inoxidables". Dice un gallego a su amigo: "Nos hacemos?"

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ponch ® on May 10, 2010, 04:32:36 PM

Van dos Gallegos caminando por la calle cuando ven un anuncio que dice "Aceros Inoxidables". Dice un gallego a su amigo: "Nos hacemos?"
What? :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

chargergirl

Two Gallegos walking down the street when they see an ad that says 'Stainless Steel'. Says a Galician his friend: 'We do? "
or close to that
Trust your Woobie!

Ponch ®

Quote from: chargergirl on May 10, 2010, 09:23:16 PM
Two Gallegos walking down the street when they see an ad that says 'Stainless Steel'. Says a Galician his friend: 'We do? "
or close to that

yep...but it doesn't work at all when translated into english. one of those "word play" jokes.

Nacho-RT74

:smilielol: :smilielol:

Un avion de Iberia con un vuelo charter lleno de gallegos pretende aterrizar en el aeropuerto JFK donde le tienen una gran comision de bienvenida... cuando esta a punto de aterrizar el avion retoma altura de nuevo. En la torre de control le notifican que tienen permiso para aterrizar que no hay problemas. Los pilotos notifican a la torre de control NO ATERRIZAREMOS HASTA QUE NO SE VAYA WEL... WEL ? QUIEN ES WEL... NO SABEMOS PERO ALLI DICE: WEL COME GALLEGOS.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ponch ®

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 11, 2010, 12:24:22 AM

:smilielol: :smilielol:

Un avion de Iberia con un vuelo charter lleno de gallegos pretende aterrizar en el aeropuerto JFK donde le tienen una gran comision de bienvenida... cuando esta a punto de aterrizar el avion retoma altura de nuevo. En la torre de control le notifican que tienen permiso para aterrizar que no hay problemas. Los pilotos notifican a la torre de control NO ATERRIZAREMOS HASTA QUE NO SE VAYA WEL... WEL ? QUIEN ES WEL... NO SABEMOS PERO ALLI DICE: WEL COME GALLEGOS.

Oiste del Gallego que queria ser narcotraficante? Lo mandaron a Colombia por Coca y trajo Pepsi.

Ghoste

Is it irony that English is a language that is probably the most notorious for being greatly composed of words stolen from other root languages?

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on May 11, 2010, 10:34:06 AM
Is it irony that English is a language that is probably the most notorious for being greatly composed of words stolen from other root languages?

So since it's the most multi-cultural language, and by far the most widely used language in the US, it's pretty much a no-brainer that people should have to learn it when they immigrate here, right?

The debate has just ended. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

It is the internationally accepted language of aviation.

Brock Samson

I can think of plenty of example where I've seen folks "Play Dumb" and refuse to admit they actually do understand,..
 Folks "quite near to me" have been here nearly 30 years from South America I'm pretty sure from all the Avail. evidence they're protected by the U.S. Govt. They - in all this time have never uttered a single English word - pretty interesting since the Ex-General was trained by the CIA..  :lol: and, on my other side,.. when the street is filled up with their five cars - none of which is in their driveway or in their garage (which BTW is filled with illegal Apartments), they can't ever seem to comprehend exactly what the problem is,..  :shruggy: and so finally I had to call the slum ah humm, err,..  "landlord" and draw her a freaking map and picture... I'm pretty sure she's not the real owner but simply speaks the most engrish but what really got results was when I said I wasn't "gonna have to go to the Authorities" - the cars were moved within a couple minutes...
This touches on another subject, that of ethics,.. where one persons idea of what is fair or "right" might not even remotely match up with another persons' idea of "Fair and Square" plenty of folks are sustaining themselves by taking full advantage of every avail. shortcut, and from there it's pretty close to going over the line and fudging a bit here and there on what we put on the application or admit to in public.
It's a very deep subject and IMO a dialogue that needs to happen.

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on May 11, 2010, 10:56:59 AM
It is the internationally accepted language of aviation.

And business as well!

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on May 11, 2010, 11:06:47 AM
  It's a very deep subject and IMO a dialogue that needs to happen.

And it will happen in English. :yesnod:

RT DAVE

Isn't this a political thread???   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

RD

Quote from: RT DAVE on May 12, 2010, 06:39:31 PM
Isn't this a political thread???   

no, not really, we are debating whether english should be enforced as per law or not.. it just so happens that some lawmakers and politicians are putting forth rhetoric to either support or deny that claim.

we, on the other hand, are not politically affiliated with our debate but rather are bouncing ideas and arguments as to the pros and cons of either the enforcement of the law or the concept of amnesty.