News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Showing my Charger this summer- opinions?

Started by 69bronzeT5, May 04, 2010, 12:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Me and my dad had the idea of showing the Charger at this year's Mopars Unlimited show in Langley in July. We wouldn't be driving it there but simply loading it onto the car trailer. However my dad wants to get it atleast driveable to the point where we can drive it on and off the trailer. I think it would be cool considering I've had it for 11 years and it's been in 3 different garages, outside under a tarp for 2 years and stolen once. I think it deserves some good attention :2thumbs: Of course I'm going to try and clean it up as much as I can which includes cleaning the whole engine compartment, polishing all the chrome, finishing the grille resto etc. Anyways, my only concern is I've heard horror stories of people doing stupid shit at car shows such as taking parts off cars and whatever. Being the Charger is a project and not road worthy, it's the perfect candidate for that to happen. Since I'm also taking the Duster to the show to enter in Young Guns (the Charger would be display only), I won't be around the Charger 24/7 at the show. Am I being too over cautious here or are my concerns valid? :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bull

I think your concerns are at least somewhat valid. I mean we all have to find that balance between total paranoia and absent-minded sa la vie. That said I wouldn't worry too much about leaving it alone for 20-40 minutes or so but not 2-3 hours. :shruggy:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: bull on May 04, 2010, 12:52:24 AM
I think your concerns are at least somewhat valid. I mean we all have to find that balance between total paranoia and absent-minded sa la vie. That said I wouldn't worry too much about leaving it alone for 20-40 minutes or so but not 2-3 hours. :shruggy:

Well, that show isn't that big (pictured) so the Charger would be in distant eye sight most of the time. The show has been slightly dwindeling car numbers wise over the past year or so. In 2008, the show was packed. Numbers were down last year, especially E-body wise. I figure if I bring the Charger out, not only will I get it the attention it deserves but it'll help out the numbers.

bull

A small venue like that wouldn't be much of a concern IMO. Sure, anything can happen but you can't control everything. I'm sure someone would say something if they saw someone prying a piece of trim off your car.

Back N Black

Yeah, i say take her to the show and have a couple of pics of what its going to look like when done. How come you haven't started it all those years?

Chargerrtforme

Bring it, you'll be fine.  The biggest issue to me are comments from people that should remember if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. Those things bug me the most. Chances of parts being pulled off is slim.

69*F5*SE

jobbless

68 charger parts needed.
Radio bezel
Tail panel trim
4 speed console
Tail lights

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Back N Black on May 04, 2010, 09:48:58 AM
Yeah, i say take her to the show and have a couple of pics of what its going to look like when done. How come you haven't started it all those years?

Lack of father and help so to speak :lol: Now that I'm living with my dad, it's a goal of ours :2thumbs:

mikesbbody

Bull is right, you can't be in control 100% of the time unless you sit there the whole time (not much fun IMO) remember, most of the people there are car Guy's and Gal's so most, if not all will be respectful take your car's and enjoy the show  :2thumbs:

Troy

I leave my cars alone at much bigger shows for hours at a time (usually the entire day) and nothing has ever happened to any of them. I'd be more nervous sitting right next to them where I can see the stupid things that go on. If I were worried about my car getting mangled at a particular show I wouldn't be there in the first place.  Sad to say, but I'd be more worried about pieces disappearing at a Mopar only show - the typical show/cruise around here may only draw 5-10 Mopars but you'll have a captive audience at a single make show. If there's no swap meet a person carrying around car parts will look awfully suspicious.

Not to be mean/rude but is there anything nice enough on your car to steal (or anything rare like a bumper jack)?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

UFO

If your going to leave the hood open,leave fender tag at home.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: UFO on May 05, 2010, 08:29:16 AM

The screws are too rusted, stripped and siezed. I can safely say the fender tag isn't going anywhere. Troy, the car is 99% complete and it's got lots of good parts. All of the trim is mint, emblems etc.

twodko

Quote from: UFO on May 05, 2010, 08:29:16 AM

Amen to that! Were it me I'd drill out the screws.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!